Why so few "Blacks" are Teaching

My favorite COBOL teacher was black. She was one of those women that just had to enter the room to get your respect. Rare they are.

....When confronted with a statistical argument ....

"Statistical argument" :lmao:

With 'statistics' pulled out of some idiot's ass. Nice work, professor.

Do you agree with his assumption that 115 is needed?

What the fuck is the assumption based on? He just pulled number out of his ass and expected anyone to accept such nonsense as "statistical." It's embarrassingly stupid.

Teaching does not seem like something that would require a 115 iq, but then again the teachers I do know personally do seem fairly bright.

Where he got that assumption is a good question. You are a teacher are you not? Do you think your job requires that?

I think smarter people are better at just about every job.

Except maybe being a democrat congressperson.

What the fuck is the assumption based on? He just pulled number out of his ass and expected anyone to accept such nonsense as "statistical." It's embarrassingly stupid.

Teaching does not seem like something that would require a 115 iq, but then again the teachers I do know personally do seem fairly bright.

Where he got that assumption is a good question. You are a teacher are you not? Do you think your job requires that?

I think smarter people are better at just about every job.

Agreed, but is it NEEDED as the op claims?

I love how he talks statistics and starts off with an assumption! That proves his argument invalid from the beginning!

The unsupported assumption, especially one that is so central to his argument, is pretty weak.

So imagine this: We have a person who represents himself as a long-time teacher. When confronted with a statistical argument that supports the proposition that few Blacks have the intellectual capacity to be effective teachers...his response is the near-moronic response that, "I know a Black teacher who is really smart."

That is not a rebuttal, Chief. In a country where more than thirty million Black people reside, I'll bet there are a shitload of great Black teachers. I had two of them when I was in law school.

The fact remains that, as a percentage of the total Black population, not many (only a few million) COULD be outstanding teachers. And that group, by and large, have better things to do. Hence, the shortage of Black teachers, felt in most big cities with substantial Black populations.

But there's more. The claimed teacher then implies that because I made my statistical observations and conclusions, I must be a racist. While I may be a racist - none of the people in this discussion have ever met me - there is nothing "racist" in anything I've posted. It is precisely this addle-headed illogic that prevails in political discussion, spawning the absurd claims that our President is a "racist" because he sought to limit immigration from countries with no viable government.

It is nearly enough to cause me to lose faith in Government-sponsored schools.

Given that teachers are underpaid, not at all supported societally and demonized, why would anyone bother? Surely the answer is privatized corporate education for the few.

Let's assume that there is an intelligence threshhold for teaching: an IQ of 115 or higher.

Let's further assume that the GenPop is 12% Black.

For white people, a 115 IQ is one standard deviation above the mean. Hence, we know that approximately 16% of the white population could be a teacher. But for Black people, a 115 IQ is TWO standard deviations above the mean, which means that only 2% (roughly) of the 12% has the threshhold intelligence to cut it - 0.24% of the overall population. To repeat, one sixth of the white population meet the cut, but only 1/50th of the Black population will make it. Which explains why in areas where we do have significan numbers of Black teachers, so many of them are sub-par. California's attempts to test and prequalify teachers have been a complete fiasco, due to the horrible scores achieved by the Black and Hispanic test-takers.

Now add to that situation the fact that super-intelligent Blacks have so may other opportunities, what with Diversity being emphasized in government, Academe (higher education), and in the corporate world.

More Black teachers? Expect a combination of unmet targets and substandard hires.

Let me guess. Trump supporter?

So imagine this: We have a person who represents himself as a long-time teacher. When confronted with a statistical argument that supports the proposition that few Blacks have the intellectual capacity to be effective teachers...his response is the near-moronic response that, "I know a Black teacher who is really smart."

That is not a rebuttal, Chief. In a country where more than thirty million Black people reside, I'll bet there are a shitload of great Black teachers. I had two of them when I was in law school.

The fact remains that, as a percentage of the total Black population, not many (only a few million) COULD be outstanding teachers. And that group, by and large, have better things to do. Hence, the shortage of Black teachers, felt in most big cities with substantial Black populations.

But there's more. The claimed teacher then implies that because I made my statistical observations and conclusions, I must be a racist. While I may be a racist - none of the people in this discussion have ever met me - there is nothing "racist" in anything I've posted. It is precisely this addle-headed illogic that prevails in political discussion, spawning the absurd claims that our President is a "racist" because he sought to limit immigration from countries with no viable government.

It is nearly enough to cause me to lose faith in Government-sponsored schools.

Given that teachers are underpaid, not at all supported societally and demonized, why would anyone bother? Surely the answer is privatized corporate education for the few.

Teachers I know seem to be doing ok. And people can't face that the real issue with education is the breakdown of the family.

Forum List

Back