Why smug atheists are wrong

1) Once you take the god factor out of the equation the wonder involve become much grander IMO

I don't think the OP was trying to suggest that a belief in God was a pre-requisite for having wonder, but I could be wrong. In any event, I don't agree with you, but there's a good deal of subjectivity involved here.

2) Who says that?

Some atheists, the really smug ones, which I believe was the OP's observation. If you've paid much attention to the Religion and Ethics forum I would be surprised if you hadn't noticed it.

3) This bit is simply nonsensical, especially the bit I bolded.

Yeah, I don't get that sentence either. It may simply be awkward wording. Then again, Q and I have had our run-ins, so I don't know.

It basically comes down to one word, wonder. Smug atheists insist there is no room for wonder in the universe, and that their experience is the only valid one. The simple fact is that, a sense of wonder makes us humble, and anyone that approaches the universe without wonder and humility is crazier than the guy who thinks he is in charge.

Just the smug ones?

All joking aside, I agree, believe it or not.

Smug atheists. Smug theists. They both annoy me in almost equal measure, but if I had to choose which comes across as the bigger offender, I would say atheists, the really smug ones, anyway. Ultimately they have no proof that a Creator doesn't exist, yet they take the position that the jury has returned a verdict and the case is closed.

That may come across as a horribly wishy-washy agnostic, but I assure you, I am certain their is a Creator. I would also suggest that I may have more humble wonder of the Universe than the most hardline theists OR atheists, but I admit that is an awfully subjective thing to say. I also happen to believe that wonder is nearly, if not entirely, a necessary component of happiness. Most atheists I have come across in person or in online debates come across as bitter, depressed, and/or angry.

Finally, someone who gets it.

If you are not sure about anything, doesn't that make you agnostic?
I thought as a Christian you were suppose to have faith that you are sure about the universe and what the Bible tells you is true?
Are you unsure about how things were created QW and what will happen to us all?

An agnostic is a person who believes that the truth about the existence of God is unknowable. I don't believe that, I actually believe that there is enough evidence for an intelligent and open minded person to have an informed opinion. Since I am both intelligent and open minded, I also know I can be wrong.

Faith is not believing things without evidence, it is actually part of the evidence that Christians have for belief. The problem is that a bunch of idiots insist that the only possible definition of faith is believing in something without evidence.
Your first mistake was claiming you are intelligent.

And second, you have doubt about God's existence?

Your first mistake is underestimating me simply because you are think you know something.

Do you understand the difference between doubt and knowing that you don't know everything?

Sorry, but that's just way off the mark - at least for this atheist, and those I know. Maybe I'm not smug enough. ;)

From what I've seen, a sense of wonder is actually one of the things people regain when they lose faith in religion. Truth is much more wondrous and bizarre than implausible mythology. And admitting that we really don't know exactly how we came to be, or what happens when we die, evokes nothing more than humility and wonder.

Read some of Cammmpbell's posts.

You are criticizing a belief system because of Campbell's posts?

No, I am criticizing people like Cammmpbell. If you aren't like him there is no reason for you to take offense. If you take offense even if you think you are not like him, that says something about you, not me.

Why pick on atheists? Aren't ALL smug people wrong?

Yes, they are, but one particularly smug atheist on this board is more wrong than most.

Don't judge all atheists by one. I certainly do not want to be considered of the same mind as of everyone who might define themselves as a theist.

Some people are just smug in general. It is their personality and I am not sure how you connect that directly to their belief system or lack of one.

Where, exactly, did i do that?

Do you have that much interaction on a philosophical level with a wide variety of atheists? I don't. I know some but rarely do we discuss in depth faith or lack of it.

Do I personally think atheists are wrong? Sure do. However I think smugness is a personality trait that crosses over the boundaries of religious belief and non-belief.

There are smug believers too.

Yes, they are, but one particularly smug atheist on this board is more wrong than most.

Don't judge all atheists by one. I certainly do not want to be considered of the same mind as of everyone who might define themselves as a theist.

Some people are just smug in general. It is their personality and I am not sure how you connect that directly to their belief system or lack of one.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/6460494-post38.html

Do you have that much interaction on a philosophical level with a wide variety of atheists? I don't. I know some but rarely do we discuss in depth faith or lack of it.

Do I personally think atheists are wrong? Sure do. However I think smugness is a personality trait that crosses over the boundaries of religious belief and non-belief.

Quite often, actually, it keeps me on my toes. There are one or two on this board that are actually worth debating. The problem with debating online is that there are always people who think that only absolute proof counts as evidence when we talk about the existence of God, even though they accept less than absolute proof as evidence of evolution.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/6460494-post38.html

I think you should read that post more carefully.

Quite often, actually, it keeps me on my toes. There are one or two on this board that are actually worth debating. The problem with debating online is that there are always people who think that only absolute proof counts as evidence when we talk about the existence of God, even though they accept less than absolute proof as evidence of evolution.

Of course one could believe in god and evolution.

Quite a few people do. I will bet you that there is no one single piece of evidence you can point to as proof of evolution though, care to take me up on it?

Quite a few people do. I will bet you that there is no one single piece of evidence you can point to as proof of evolution though, care to take me up on it?

Wow.

Evolution is a word that encompasses a enormous array of theory, much of which is backed up by sound empirical data, so for someone to "prove evolution" they wouldn't be able to do so by addressing one point or another.

What you're asking for simply isn't relevant to anyone who actually understands Evolution.

I find the theory of evolution pretty funny whenever I visit the zoo. RDean still hasn't given me an explanation for a giraffe.

I don't think the OP was trying to suggest that a belief in God was a pre-requisite for having wonder, but I could be wrong. In any event, I don't agree with you, but there's a good deal of subjectivity involved here.
Hence the qualifier "IMO"

Some atheists, the really smug ones, which I believe was the OP's observation. If you've paid much attention to the Religion and Ethics forum I would be surprised if you hadn't noticed it.
I have only been here for a few weeks... However I will say this, "Smug Atheism" has little as described here to do with atheism and would be more aptly described as a classic case of being a prick.

Yeah, I don't get that sentence either. It may simply be awkward wording. Then again, Q and I have had our run-ins, so I don't know.
Not for either of us to say... If he wishes to clarify he will.

How about an explanation for the evolutionary need for these...... why aren't they all across the world.....there are ants everywhere?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LLBKGonWmw&feature=youtu.be]Giant Anteater working on snacks - YouTube[/ame]

Can you find evidence God exists?

Can you find evidence God exists?

Honestly Luissa, just the fact that love between people exists here on Earth is my proof.

I will add I have never ever felt a need to convert a non-believer nor condemn one. I am just that content and at peace in my own faith.

Forum List

Back