Why smug atheists are wrong

Carl Sagan did not consider himself an atheist.

Sagan wrote frequently about religion and the relationship between religion and science, expressing his skepticism about the conventional conceptualization of God as a sapient being. For example:

"Some people think God is an outsized, light-skinned male with a long white beard, sitting on a throne somewhere up there in the sky, busily tallying the fall of every sparrow. Others—for example Baruch Spinoza and Albert Einstein—considered God to be essentially the sum total of the physical laws which describe the universe. I do not know of any compelling evidence for anthropomorphic patriarchs controlling human destiny from some hidden celestial vantage point, but it would be madness to deny the existence of physical laws

Yes, he also said "An atheist has to know a lot more than I know. An atheist is someone who knows there is no god. By some definitions atheism is very stupid."

What was your point again?

Are you unsure if God exists? Do you wonder how the universe was created?

It basically comes down to one word, wonder. Smug atheists insist there is no room for wonder in the universe, and that their experience is the only valid one. The simple fact is that, a sense of wonder makes us humble, and anyone that approaches the universe without wonder and humility is crazier than the guy who thinks he is in charge.

You're basically so wrong about that.

Our "reality" comes with the amazing fact that none of this stuff is planned or engineered.

Hence it makes it so much more fascinating and subject to research.

Science isn't finite.

Religion is..

It basically comes down to one word, wonder. Smug atheists insist there is no room for wonder in the universe, and that their experience is the only valid one. The simple fact is that, a sense of wonder makes us humble, and anyone that approaches the universe without wonder and humility is crazier than the guy who thinks he is in charge.

Our "reality" comes with the amazing fact that none of this stuff is planned or engineered.

Science isn't finite.

Religion is..

Yeah, it kind of sounds like QW is agnostic. If this is true I hope he stops using his religion to judge other's sins.

Why pick on atheists? Aren't ALL smug people wrong?

Yes, they are, but one particularly smug atheist on this board is more wrong than most.

You must speak of the always annoying and seldom poignant Cammmbel.

I've never heard an atheist comment about wonder.

Probably because most people that are smart enough to wonder when looking at creation are also smart enough to know they cannot be sure about anything.

If you are not sure about anything, doesn't that make you agnostic?
I thought as a Christian you were suppose to have faith that you are sure about the universe and what the Bible tells you is true?
Are you unsure about how things were created QW and what will happen to us all?

An agnostic is a person who believes that the truth about the existence of God is unknowable. I don't believe that, I actually believe that there is enough evidence for an intelligent and open minded person to have an informed opinion. Since I am both intelligent and open minded, I also know I can be wrong.

Faith is not believing things without evidence, it is actually part of the evidence that Christians have for belief. The problem is that a bunch of idiots insist that the only possible definition of faith is believing in something without evidence.

Science isn't finite.

Religion is..

Read the part in very large, red, letters above.

Maybe if you read what I actually post instead of attacking what I do not say you might be able to understand my point.

Just the smug ones?

All joking aside, I agree, believe it or not.

Smug atheists. Smug theists. They both annoy me in almost equal measure, but if I had to choose which comes across as the bigger offender, I would say atheists, the really smug ones, anyway. Ultimately they have no proof that a Creator doesn't exist, yet they take the position that the jury has returned a verdict and the case is closed.

That may come across as a horribly wishy-washy agnostic, but I assure you, I am certain their is a Creator. I would also suggest that I may have more humble wonder of the Universe than the most hardline theists OR atheists, but I admit that is an awfully subjective thing to say. I also happen to believe that wonder is nearly, if not entirely, a necessary component of happiness. Most atheists I have come across in person or in online debates come across as bitter, depressed, and/or angry.

What we claim is that we do not believe. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. I have never said anything derogatory to a person who believes, but believers have given me a hard time because I do not believe.

I wonder how you can be so stupid!

Probably because most people that are smart enough to wonder when looking at creation are also smart enough to know they cannot be sure about anything.

If you are not sure about anything, doesn't that make you agnostic?
I thought as a Christian you were suppose to have faith that you are sure about the universe and what the Bible tells you is true?
Are you unsure about how things were created QW and what will happen to us all?

An agnostic is a person who believes that the truth about the existence of God is unknowable. I don't believe that, I actually believe that there is enough evidence for an intelligent and open minded person to have an informed opinion. Since I am both intelligent and open minded, I also know I can be wrong.

Faith is not believing things without evidence, it is actually part of the evidence that Christians have for belief. The problem is that a bunch of idiots insist that the only possible definition of faith is believing in something without evidence.
Your first mistake was claiming you are intelligent.

And second, you have doubt about God's existence?

Sorry, but that's just way off the mark - at least for this atheist, and those I know. Maybe I'm not smug enough. ;)

From what I've seen, a sense of wonder is actually one of the things people regain when they lose faith in religion. Truth is much more wondrous and bizarre than implausible mythology. And admitting that we really don't know exactly how we came to be, or what happens when we die, evokes nothing more than humility and wonder.

Read some of Cammmpbell's posts.[/QUOTE

You are criticizing a belief system because of Campbell's posts?

Truth is much more wondrous and bizarre than implausible mythology...

"Truth" and "implausible," yes, I second that. In fact, you stole both our arguments.

And admitting that we really don't know exactly how we came to be, or what happens when we die, evokes nothing more than humility and wonder.

...and an assumed license to do as one pleases. --- a convenient byproduct, if not ulterior motive.

Last edited:

Why pick on atheists? Aren't ALL smug people wrong?

Yes, they are, but one particularly smug atheist on this board is more wrong than most.

Don't judge all atheists by one. I certainly do not want to be considered of the same mind as of everyone who might define themselves as a theist.

Some people are just smug in general. It is their personality and I am not sure how you connect that directly to their belief system or lack of one.

Last edited:
1)It basically comes down to one word, wonder. Smug atheists insist there is no room for wonder in the universe, 2)and that their experience is the only valid one. 3)The simple fact is that, a sense of wonder makes us humble, and anyone that approaches the universe without wonder and humility is crazier than the guy who thinks he is in charge,

1) Once you take the god factor out of the equation the wonder involve become much grander IMO.

2) Who says that?

3) This bit is simply nonsensical, especially the bit I bolded.

Forum List

Back