Why smug atheists are wrong

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
It basically comes down to one word, wonder. Smug atheists insist there is no room for wonder in the universe, and that their experience is the only valid one. The simple fact is that, a sense of wonder makes us humble, and anyone that approaches the universe without wonder and humility is crazier than the guy who thinks he is in charge.

Is the Holy Ghost "friendly"?

Casper-Friendly-Ghost-3.jpg

It basically comes down to one word, wonder. Smug atheists insist there is no room for wonder in the universe, and that their experience is the only valid one. The simple fact is that, a sense of wonder makes us humble, and anyone that approaches the universe without wonder and humility is crazier than the guy who thinks he is in charge.

No, atheists don't insist on that.

Please try harder to be less stupid.

Sorry, but that's just way off the mark - at least for this atheist, and those I know. Maybe I'm not smug enough. ;)

From what I've seen, a sense of wonder is actually one of the things people regain when they lose faith in religion. Truth is much more wondrous and bizarre than implausible mythology. And admitting that we really don't know exactly how we came to be, or what happens when we die, evokes nothing more than humility and wonder.

Did you miss the class on adjectives in 5th grade?

Sorry, but that's just way off the mark - at least for this atheist, and those I know. Maybe I'm not smug enough. ;)

From what I've seen, a sense of wonder is actually one of the things people regain when they lose faith in religion. Truth is much more wondrous and bizarre than implausible mythology. And admitting that we really don't know exactly how we came to be, or what happens when we die, evokes nothing more than humility and wonder.

Read some of Cammmpbell's posts.

I never understood Cammmpbell's hate-on-throw-it-in-your-face monologue about the evils of religion. I mean, yes, the Crusades were terrible. The radicals are terrible.

But I believe that, if this world had no religion whatsoever, things like that still would have occurred. Humans are fucking brilliant at finding reasons to hate each other. They would have killed each other in the names of, say, "European Supremacy over Barbarian Arabs", or "Arab Dominance over subhuman Whites", or whatever.

As for the OP, I disagree. The universe is an amazing thing to wonder at. Finding out how things work, the progression of science and technology, the advancement of humanity off this rock... those are things to wonder about.

It is, and agreed.

One can believe in God and have wonder and not actually subscribe to a religion.

I have seen the smugness QW posts about but I have seen in also in people of faith too as well as atheists. I am not sure it can be attributed solely to being an atheist.

i wonder about you buddy.

Did you miss the class on adjectives in 5th grade?

Did you miss the bit where your parent told you not to lie?

One can believe in God and have wonder and not actually subscribe to a religion.

I have seen the smugness QW posts about but I have seen in also in people of faith too as well as atheists. I am not sure it can be attributed solely to being an atheist.

It seems to me that if you believe in God, you aren't an athiest.

I don't recall saying that only atheists are smug, or that atheists could not be humble and have a sense of wonder, or even that all atheists are smug. All I am pointing out is the lack I see in smug atheists, yet a number of people chose to take this as a personal attack.

Interesting.

I don't recall saying that only atheists are smug, or that atheists could not be humble and have a sense of wonder, or even that all atheists are smug. All I am pointing out is the lack I see in smug atheists, yet a number of people chose to take this as a personal attack.

Interesting.

You are the one who decided to isolate this to atheists. If you meant all smug people, you should have just said "smug people" and left it at that. Don't blame others if they see an agenda in what you wrote. It is almost impossible not to. So if that was not your intention, then you phrased it badly.

In my experience atheists wonder a lot. They continue to look for answers while ignoring the Truth.
To be humble is to wise...knowing our existence is meaningless to the world but important to God.

In my experience atheists wonder a lot. They continue to look for answers while ignoring the Truth.
To be humble is to wise...knowing our existence is meaningless to the world but important to God.

It is the religious who do not wonder....they just accept "God did it" as an explanation for the world around us

Forum List

Back