Why say "God bless America?"

Wouldn't many religious people interpret the phrase to imply that God bless only America?

I don't know. Maybe. Maybe not. What difference could that possibly make?

If you sneeze and I say "God Bless You" does that mean that some religious people might assume that I call upon God to bless ONLY you?

Should I care about that silly interpretation from such people?

Is that something that ought to legitimately make me alter my behavior?

Not seeing it.

Well, let's just suppose that someone who believes such a silly interpretation uses it as an excuse to harm someone else.

It wouldn't be the first time that evil was done in God's name, would it?

Let's say your post made any sense.

Nah. Come to think of it, let's not strain credulity THAT far.

If the day evercomes when saying "God Bless America" or "God bless you" is capable of hurting anybody, maybe we can discuss your thought again.

Last edited:
I guess "context" is beyond your comprehension...Wright is saying God does not bless America killing in His name...he damns IT...he damns the action...

You also must consider he is a preacher using some poetic license...

I didn't realize I was talking to a statist...

You, yourself, just said that he was saying "God damn America". That was the context you stated. In fact, you continue to reinforce that he is damning it.

Which is exactly what everyone else has ever said about the passage.

I didnt realize I was talking to someone who seems to think he is contradicting someone by supporting exactly what they are saying.

What point? it's not a point. It's stupid. Son of Sam said the neighbor's dog told him to kill people. Shall we force people to keep their dogs hidden away from view? Or remove them altogether?

I guess "context" is beyond your comprehension...Wright is saying God does not bless America killing in His name...he damns IT...he damns the action...

You, yourself, just said that he was saying "God damn America". That was the context you stated. In fact, you continue to reinforce that he is damning it.

I didnt realize I was talking to someone who seems to think he is contradicting someone by supporting exactly what they are saying.

Welcome to USMB, where idiots prove what their opponents are saying, then claim victory!

Welcome to USMB, where idiots prove what their opponents are saying, then claim victory!

:lol::lol::lol:

In other words, you can't respond to my point.
Nice talking to you while it lasted. Bye.

Wrong. I demonstrated that you have no point.

It was nice demonstrating that you came empty handed.

Ciao.
And now you've earned a spot on my ignore list. Take your clown act elsewhere.

And I would care -- why exactly?

You made no point then whined about my supposedly ignoring your point.

Newsflash: it is not possible to ignore a point never made.

Take your whining someplace where somebody might care.

And have a lovely day, kid.

I personally was never terribly offended by Wright's comments. I was offended by Obama lying about his association with him.

So, that is ALL you get out of his sermon?

Modbert1329290 said:
I'll go with what George Carlin says on this issue:

YouTube - George Carlin -God bless America

Even as a Christian I have always loved George Carlin. When he wasn't offending me he makes complete sense. There is nothing really wrong with the way that man viewed the world, he used logic and he saw none in religion.

Anyways.. as far as God Bless America goes it has to do with the fact that our country was founded by a bunch of people who were running away from the threat of burning at the stake or worse. They were ugly times for anyone who didn't believe in following every word that came from the Vatican and uglier yet for anyone who dared believe in science, atoms, things we know for a fact today exist. I have a feeling the phrase God Bless America started out because these religious people wanted to feel they were safe, free, and able to believe in what they wanted to believe in. Then of course they started burnings here and life went on as it had in Europe before they came over. :tongue:

As a side note, women are supposed to cover their heads in church so as to not tempt the angels with their beauty. Men are supposed to remove their hats so as to, in a way, offer praise for the creation of God since man is made in God's image. This was a decree left by Peter if I remember correctly..

Also, the left hand goes on the Bible for the same reason your wedding ring goes on the left hand. There is a vein ( or artery, always confuse the two ) that runs from your ring finger on the left hand to your heart directly. It has to do with the idea that you are swearing with your heart, not just your hand.

So why don't you just put the bible on your heart?

Peter couldn't have left a decree, the bible was written a minimum of 350 years after the facts.

You say god bless america because you're praying for a miracle.

Peter couldn't have left a decree, the bible was written a minimum of 350 years after the facts.

Ahh.. my mistake.. it was Paul in 1st Corinthians. As I said I wasn't entirely sure it was Peter.. I was just pretty certain it started with a P ^_^

You know you are just being a brat with the statement about the Bible against your heart. Why don't you just wear your wedding ring on a necklace so it is near your heart? It just has to do with what used to be a symbolic gesture. The reasons have been lost to the current generations. If you choose to fight their being used go ahead, you have every right. I was merely commenting on the things Carlin questioned in the skit posted by Robert_Santurri.

YOU may say God Bless America because you are praying for a miracle. I personally don't think it was originally so. They were also accustomed to saying God save the King, God save the Queen and God bless the King and/or Queen. It was common to ask for the blessings of God in that time and has become a meaningless gesture in America today.

Biggest thing America needs isn't prayer or blessings but rather some sort of pride. Everyone is so used to fighting anything they may not completely agree with though, or taking the position of Devil's advocate just to be an ass, that America is not likely to find any sense of pride any time soon.

Ahh.. my mistake.. it was Paul in 1st Corinthians. As I said I wasn't entirely sure it was Peter.. I was just pretty certain it started with a P ^_^

You know you are just being a brat with the statement about the Bible against your heart. Why don't you just wear your wedding ring on a necklace so it is near your heart? It just has to do with what used to be a symbolic gesture. The reasons have been lost to the current generations. If you choose to fight their being used go ahead, you have every right. I was merely commenting on the things Carlin questioned in the skit posted by Robert_Santurri.

YOU may say God Bless America because you are praying for a miracle. I personally don't think it was originally so. They were also accustomed to saying God save the King, God save the Queen and God bless the King and/or Queen. It was common to ask for the blessings of God in that time and has become a meaningless gesture in America today.

Biggest thing America needs isn't prayer or blessings but rather some sort of pride. Everyone is so used to fighting anything they may not completely agree with though, or taking the position of Devil's advocate just to be an ass, that America is not likely to find any sense of pride any time soon.

PRIDE !
We are the ultimate consumers !!!
Gawd Blass Amurkastan :confused:

Well, you have a mulatto president. That should bring the races together. it's a good start. Enough redneck presidents already.

Forum List

Back