Why say "God bless America?"

I've never heard an Australian say God Bless Australia
I've never heard a Canadian say God Bless Canada
I've never Heard a Mexican say God Bless Mexico
I've never Heard a Dane say God Bless Denmark
I've never heard a Fijian say God Bless Fiji

So just because you've never heard these people personally say this, it means none of them have said it?

What's wrong with God Bless America?

What's right about it? Consider what it means that America is a plurality.

How would Christians like -Allah-Yahweh-Shiva-Shakti-Goddess-Higher Power-Buddha bless America? What's wrong with 'God Bless America" is how iit is used and by whom.

Last edited:
What's wrong with 'higher being (whatever name you give that higher being) bless America'? Substitute Allah or Yahweh or Buddha . . . just saying, what's wrong with asking for this country to be blessed by a higher being?

What's wrong with 'higher being (whatever name you give that higher being) bless America'? Substitute Allah or Yahweh or Buddha . . . just saying, what's wrong with asking for this country to be blessed by a higher being?

Nothing is wrong with well wishes. It's the way the specific wish is being used as a poltical tool. The people who insist on 'God Bless America' don't want the majority to say Buddha Bless America or Allah Bless America.

It's about power and domination.

But another way of looking at it is that it's about holding firm against change and not wanting inclusive language used. Too PC. Some use the 'it's tradition argument.

Slavery used to be a tradition. No voting rights for women or blacks used to be tradtion.

God Bless America is here to stay. God Bless Amurka is another issue.

Last edited:

you should get out more

you should get out more

You should too, del. You spend a LOT of time here.

Last edited:

Nothing is wrong with well wishes. It's the way the specific wish is being used as a poltical tool. The people who insist on 'God Bless America' don't want the majority to say Buddha Bless America or Allah Bless America.

But another way of looking at it is that it's about holding firm against change and not wanting inclusive language used. Too PC. Some use the 'it's tradition argument.

Slavery used to be a tradition. No voting rights for women or blacks used to be tradtion.

No, the majority who say God Bless America are Christian. America is 75% or so Christian. Why must the majority cater to the minority?

Inclusive language? What's wrong with using whatever term you personally believe in? Just say 'Budda Bless America' instead.

Last edited:

No, the majority who say God Bless America are Christian. America is 75% or so Christian. Why must the majority cater to the minority?

Inclusive language? What's wrong with using whatever term you personally believe in? Just say 'Budda Bless America' instead.

We try in the US to not have a tyranny of the majority. That's why we work to include all our citizens.

If you believe in God, wouldn't you want Him to bless the entire world?

People get so confused. On the one hand people blame God for all the evil in the world. Then they turn right around and expect God to bless those that perpetrate evil and revel in it?

And THEN wonder why God would require us to be cleansed of all sin and learn His ways before we enter heaven. What, you want us to take all the evil with us so we can pollute heaven like we have the earth?

Fairly ironic.

Is it ironic? I think it is naive or arrogant to think we all conceive of God in the same way.

Who on earth proposed that we all conceive of God the same way?

We try in the US to not have a tyranny of the majority. That's why we work to include all our citizens.

We're also a democracy, which means majority rules, while the RIGHTS of minorities are protected. You don't have a RIGHT not to hear the word "God", and you don't have a "right" to remove all reference to him. Those aren't rights. You have the right to worship as YOU choose, not dictate to anyone else (even the big bad majority) what they may or may not celebrate.

That's a tough concept, but if you spend enough time on it I'm sure you can wrap your brain around it.

Lord please Bless America, so we can continue to give the most to the charities of the world, with "free" giving. And Bless us, with some people who understand freedom and common sense in congress and the white house Thank you Lord ahead of time! Amen

You obviously dont know a thing about being Christian. Why do you presume its mutually exclusive to ask for God to bless America and to bless the world

I love how you dare say I don't know a thing about being Christian. You can assume all you like, doesn't mean you know however.

It's pointless trying to have a debate about this. However, I recommend you watch the video I posted earlier.

I am not assuming anything. You have clearly demonstrated it.

If it's so pointless to debate this, why are you here?

There is nothing wrong with praying to bless your home. Are you going to be totally offended if the Germans say God bless Germany? Im not. Why shouldnt we bless our home lands. If more people were praying to make their countries better the world would be a much better place.

We are commanded to pray over all things. Why should this be any different?

But one of the main reasons for church is to PRAISE god. He loves to hear us praising him together.

I have no doubt God loves it when we praise and appreciate Him. However, i doubt that's one of the main reasons for Church. I tend to think the Lord commanded us to meet together more for our own benefit than for His.

Following Christ is more than just having a personal relationship with God, its sharing that relationship with everyone else.

To say "God Bless America" is to INVOKE the blessing of the Almighty on our Republic. It is a recognition that He sees over us.

For those of us who are not overly religious, it should hardly matter.

For those of us who are religious, it is perfectly appropriate to Ask the Almighty for His continued blessings, thereby implicitly acknowledging those blessings which He has already bestowed on us.

If other nations and peoples also accept the premise that God has a hand in our lives, then they are free to ask God to bless their respective countries and peoples, too.

To say "God Bless America" is to INVOKE the blessing of the Almighty on our Republic. It is a recognition that He sees over us.

For those of us who are religious, it is perfectly appropriate to Ask the Almighty for His continued blessings, thereby implicitly acknowledging those blessings which He has already bestowed on us.

If other nations and peoples also accept the premise that God has a hand in our lives, then they are free to ask God to bless their respective countries and peoples, too.

Thread killer :cool:

Wouldn't many religious people interpret the phrase to imply that God bless only America?

Wouldn't many religious people interpret the phrase to imply that God bless only America?

And? What's wrong with this? Like a previous poster wrote, if someone in Germany says 'God Bless Germany' . . . what's wrong with asking for God to bless your country?

Forum List

Back