Why say "God bless America?"

No it's not. To pray for strength is a good thing. We have nothing without God. That's what people don't get. Everything that is good in man comes directly from God. He wants us to help us. He wants us to talk to him. He loves us.

Essentially, what you're saying is that if you love someone, it's selfish to count on them.

Wrong.

No, it's selfish to just talk to them when you want something. That's not love, that's using them.

I say this prayer for mine enemies per instructions to pray for one's enemies.

Unto thee, O LORD, do I lift up my soul.
O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me. Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.
Lead me, O LORD, in thy righteousness because of mine enemies; make thy way straight before my face. For there is no faithfulness in their mouth; their inward part is very wickedness; their throat is an open sepulchre; they flatter with their tongue. Destroy thou them, O God; let them fall by their own counsels; cast them out in the multitude of their transgressions; for they have rebelled against thee.

because we don't want satan blessing america...

$Satan.jpg

$Satan 2.jpg

Last edited:
We talk to him all the time. But there's nothing you can do for God. God is supreme. All you can do is praise him (which is also a part of Christianity) and do as he asks....trust him and turn to him.

But one of the main reasons for church is to PRAISE god. He loves to hear us praising him together.

We talk to him all the time. But there's nothing you can do for God. God is supreme. All you can do is praise him (which is also a part of Christianity) and do as he asks....trust him and turn to him.

How about making the world a better place for starters? If there were no poverty, God would be getting alot less prayers and more time to do other things. :eusa_whistle:

Saying all you can do is praise him sounds like taking the easy way out.

And it's also a part of having a personal relationship with God. If you have a personal relationship with someone, you will ask them to help you, personally, and also encourage them to help others.

If you consider you have a friendship or personal relationship with God then just praying to him to ask for stuff sounds not only selfish but needy. That's no way to treat a friend. Besides, don't friends usually do favors for one another? How often do you hear a pray start with or go along the lines of "If you do this, I'll never do _________ again." I'm willing to bet that doesn't last long. What do people do for God? Not kill one another? That's free will and all on your choice to not to, that's no favor to God.

So, you think we only ask for things? Sounds like you need to meet some real Christians. I never make deals with God, though. I usually enter my conversations with Him with much thanks and praise to Him for just how blessed He is in life in general.

It is indeed a personal relationship with Him, and we are not stuck on self.

So, you think we only ask for things? Sounds like you need to meet some real Christians. I never make deals with God, though. I usually enter my conversations with Him with much thanks and praise to Him for just how blessed He is in life in general.

It is indeed a personal relationship with Him, and we are not stuck on self.

I'm a Christian too you bozo. Plenty of people only pray to just ask for things and make deals with God.

So wait, you enter conversations with God with thanks/praise for just how blessed HE is in life in general? You mean yourself?

If you believe in God, wouldn't you want Him to bless the entire world?

People get so confused. On the one hand people blame God for all the evil in the world. Then they turn right around and expect God to bless those that perpetrate evil and revel in it?

And THEN wonder why God would require us to be cleansed of all sin and learn His ways before we enter heaven. What, you want us to take all the evil with us so we can pollute heaven like we have the earth?

Fairly ironic.

And it's also a part of having a personal relationship with God. If you have a personal relationship with someone, you will ask them to help you, personally, and also encourage them to help others.

I have a personal relationship with my teacher of Buddhist meditation. I pray to the lineage of enlightened masters of awareness that I may follow the path more clearly and sincerely. More inclusive of all citizens in the nation of the United States of America would be a non-specific blessing for our country without naming the deity as God or requiring that others accept God as their personal deity.

Blessings come from faith, no matter whether you have faith in God or buddha nature. JMO.

Last edited:
If you believe in God, wouldn't you want Him to bless the entire world?

People get so confused. On the one hand people blame God for all the evil in the world. Then they turn right around and expect God to bless those that perpetrate evil and revel in it?

And THEN wonder why God would require us to be cleansed of all sin and learn His ways before we enter heaven. What, you want us to take all the evil with us so we can pollute heaven like we have the earth?

Fairly ironic.

Is it ironic? I think it is naive or arrogant to think we all conceive of God in the same way.

Is it ironic? I think it is naive or arrogant to think we all conceive of God in the same way.

I've also thought it was pretty narcissistic to think that God was intently interested in our lives.

"Yes Toro, I think you should take that job in Macon. Now excuse me, I have to create this universe over here."

i've never understood why god wants us to praise him.

is he so insecure that he needs mere mortals to tell him how awesome he is?

And isn't vanity one of the seven deadly sins?

$have-faith-in-god-motivational-poster.jpg

I've never heard an Australian say God Bless Australia
I've never heard a Canadian say God Bless Canada
I've never Heard a Mexican say God Bless Mexico
I've never Heard a Dane say God Bless Denmark
I've never heard a Fijian say God Bless Fiji

I've never heard an Australian say God Bless Australia
I've never heard a Canadian say God Bless Canada
I've never Heard a Mexican say God Bless Mexico
I've never Heard a Dane say God Bless Denmark
I've never heard a Fijian say God Bless Fiji

So just because you've never heard these people personally say this, it means none of them have said it?

What's wrong with God Bless America?

Forum List

Back