Why say "God bless America?"

Why stop there?

Why not say "God bless Creation"?

Although, if God created it, why not bless it after he finished??

If you believe in God, wouldn't you want Him to bless the entire world?
I always thought it is a bit egocentric of Americans to say that. At least Tiny Tim (not the long haired Ukulele star of the 60's who sang tip toe through the tulips, but the little crippled boy in A Christmas Carol) would at least say God Bless us everyone

We say "God Bless America" like we say "bless you" after someone sneezes.

It just a proper thing to say.

Alternative, we could say "Go America!" or "America Rocks!", but the general public likes to go with the old standard.

I'll go with what George Carlin says on this issue:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuOBf-39t64]YouTube - George Carlin -God bless America[/ame]

Why would I not want my community blessed?

You're asking God to pick yours out alone among everything else that sounds selfish about it. It's not really Christian to say God bless your community or country alone but nobody else's.

Last edited:
You're asking God to pick yours out alone among everything else that sounds selfish about it. It's not really Christian to say God bless your community or country alone but nobody else's.

You obviously dont know a thing about being Christian. Why do you presume its mutually exclusive to ask for God to bless America and to bless the world

I always thought it is a bit egocentric of Americans to say that. At least Tiny Tim (not the long haired Ukulele star of the 60's who sang tip toe through the tulips, but the little crippled boy in A Christmas Carol) would at least say God Bless us everyone

132-1-1.jpg

You obviously dont know a thing about being Christian. Why do you presume its mutually exclusive to ask for God to bless America and to bless the world

I love how you dare say I don't know a thing about being Christian. You can assume all you like, doesn't mean you know however.

It's pointless trying to have a debate about this. However, I recommend you watch the video I posted earlier.

Why say God bless America? Why not? It sure beats saying goddamn America.

Asking for blessings for the country is something I believe in, whether a God of Judeo Christianity exists or not.

Each in his or her own way, making wishes and aspirations to benefit all within or without our borders is a wonderful thing. Making prayers that are as expanisve and inclusive as possible is a great thing.

Praying for one's enemies is a positive activity.

Last edited:
We pray for things specifically, and generally.

There's nothing wrong with praying for something specific, such as, "God, please if it's part of your plan, bless America and help those who are in power to maintain a government of freedom and justice."

Or
"God, please bless all the unsaved around the world and help them to find salvation."

We ask God personally to help us with personal things, and on a larger scale as well. One doesn't preclude the other.

And it's also a part of having a personal relationship with God. If you have a personal relationship with someone, you will ask them to help you, personally, and also encourage them to help others.

And it's also a part of having a personal relationship with God. If you have a personal relationship with someone, you will ask them to help you, personally, and also encourage them to help others.

If you consider you have a friendship or personal relationship with God then just praying to him to ask for stuff sounds not only selfish but needy. That's no way to treat a friend. Besides, don't friends usually do favors for one another? How often do you hear a pray start with or go along the lines of "If you do this, I'll never do _________ again." I'm willing to bet that doesn't last long. What do people do for God? Not kill one another? That's free will and all on your choice to not to, that's no favor to God.

No it's not. To pray for strength is a good thing. We have nothing without God. That's what people don't get. Everything that is good in man comes directly from God. He wants us to help us. He wants us to talk to him. He loves us.

Essentially, what you're saying is that if you love someone, it's selfish to count on them.

Wrong.

Forum List

Back