Why Romney Is a Foreign Policy Lightweight

Aug 7, 2012
I still haven't heard Romney or any of his supporters say what Romney would do differently in the middle east.

What is Romney's position on drone attacks (he says Obama is weak and lacks resolve, yet bin Laden and many al Qaeda leaders are dead), Afghanistan? He wants to defeat the Taliban not negotiate. Does this mean we leave 10's of thousands of troops there then?

His ideas range from vague to ill-informed to downright dangerous

...Second, in this election in particular, Mitt Romney’s statements on foreign policy range from vague to ill-informed to downright dangerous.

Does Romney believe the things that he’s said about arms control, Russia, the Middle East, the defense budget, and the rest? Who can say? He has no experience on any of these issues. But his advisers do; they represent, mainly, the Dick Cheney wing of the Republican Party (some, notably John Bolton, veer well to the right of even that). While not all presidents wind up following their advisers, Romney has placed his byline atop some of his coterie’s most egregious arguments—not least, several op-ed pieces against President Obama’s New START with Russia, pieces that rank as the most ignorant I’ve read in nearly 40 years of following the nuclear debate.

In any case, Romney does not explain what he would have done differently in Obama’s place. Would he have stood shoulder to shoulder with our old ally, Mubarak? (That would have served America’s image very badly and wouldn’t have saved Mubarak’s hide in the end.) Would he have poured billions of dollars in aid and investment into Egypt at the first sign of Mubarak’s fall? (Extremely doubtful.) Would he have demanded that the military turn over power more completely to the parliament? (If so, how?)

Last edited:
Lightweight? Romney has no weight at all regarding foreign policy. He's clueless. To make it even worse, John Bolton is his go to guy on foreign policy.

What's the option?

Oh, a total incompetent nincompoop lightweight, who is still a total incompetent nincompoop lightweight after nearly 4 years of OJT.

Of all the reasons to not support Vinnie Vitalis, this ain't one of 'em.

How much weight does he need to overcome a foreign policy of bowing, appeasing, and apologizing? The only successful policies obummer has are the ones he continued of Mr Bush.

We are screwed, if Romney is a lightweight. Because this week has shown that Obama really is a lightweight.

I still haven't heard Romney or any of his supporters say what Romney would do differently in the middle east.

What is Romney's position on drone attacks (he says Obama is weak and lacks resolve, yet bin Laden and many al Qaeda leaders are dead), Afghanistan? He wants to defeat the Taliban not negotiate. Does this mean we leave 10's of thousands of troops there then?

...Second, in this election in particular, Mitt Romney’s statements on foreign policy range from vague to ill-informed to downright dangerous.

Does Romney believe the things that he’s said about arms control, Russia, the Middle East, the defense budget, and the rest? Who can say? He has no experience on any of these issues. But his advisers do; they represent, mainly, the Dick Cheney wing of the Republican Party (some, notably John Bolton, veer well to the right of even that). While not all presidents wind up following their advisers, Romney has placed his byline atop some of his coterie’s most egregious arguments—not least, several op-ed pieces against President Obama’s New START with Russia, pieces that rank as the most ignorant I’ve read in nearly 40 years of following the nuclear debate.

In any case, Romney does not explain what he would have done differently in Obama’s place. Would he have stood shoulder to shoulder with our old ally, Mubarak? (That would have served America’s image very badly and wouldn’t have saved Mubarak’s hide in the end.) Would he have poured billions of dollars in aid and investment into Egypt at the first sign of Mubarak’s fall? (Extremely doubtful.) Would he have demanded that the military turn over power more completely to the parliament? (If so, how?)

President dumshit has no experience at anything.....but you swallow everything he squirts your way.

It is fair to ask what Romney would do specifically and differently. Romney is offering no alternatives or specifics. If he and his supporters think he could do better than Obama, they need to base it on facts, not on suppositions that he could do better than Obama. That isn't a given at all.

I'm sorry someone refresh my memory what was Obama's foreign policy experience four year's ago? I don't recall any ground breaking new ideas from him back then I do recall a lot of everything Bush is doing is wrong rhetoric and I have seen him continue a lot of the same policies he was so critical of. Maybe Romney will follow the Obama plan of 08 criticize the man in office then if your elected keep doing what he did and pat yourself on the back for doing such a great job.

I'm sorry someone refresh my memory what was Obama's foreign policy experience four year's ago? I don't recall any ground breaking new ideas from him back then I do recall a lot of everything Bush is doing is wrong rhetoric and I have seen him continue a lot of the same policies he was so critical of. Maybe Romney will follow the Obama plan of 08 criticize the man in office then if your elected keep doing what he did and pat yourself on the back for doing such a great job.

Well, his record was better 4yrs ago than it is now, he didn't have one then.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
Still no one has answered specifically what Romney would do to fix the ME. It stands to reason if those who think Obama had no experience 4 years ago think he is doing a bad job, what makes you think Romney with no experience will do a good job? He is using Bush's foreign policy advisers so should he start another war or exactly what?

Exactly. Four years ago Obama had no foreign policy experience. Now we KNOW that he's a clueless narcissist who thought that if he bowed to the world, the world would bow back. Look at the Middle East and tell us how that's working out.

Exactly. Four years ago Obama had no foreign policy experience. Now we KNOW that he's a clueless narcissist who thought that if he bowed to the world, the world would bow back. Look at the Middle East and tell us how that's working out.

So, specifically, what should be done? Should the US take responsibility for the hate being directed at us? Should we retaliate? With what and how much force? Should we get out of the ME (my preference)? I still don't hear any specifics among the criticism. If you think he's doing just a poor job, you much have some specific alternatives upon which to base your opinion, right?

So, specifically, what should be done? Should the US take responsibility for the hate being directed at us? Should we retaliate? With what and how much force? Should we get out of the ME (my preference)? I still don't hear any specifics among the criticism. If you think he's doing just a poor job, you much have some specific alternatives upon which to base your opinion, right?

Ask yourself.. How many Russian embassies have been attacked since Putin was re-elected? Weakness is not respected.

He is pandering to the right so that they will turn out for a past LIBERAL Republican. The CON line now ignores Bush's abandonment of terror to enter into the poorly planned quagmire of Iraq,

Had Bush done his job, al Qaeda would not be a concern 11 years later; he didn't, so it is.

‘Lightweight’ is generous, he’s a complete foreign policy neophyte, utterly unqualified.

Nor will you – they have no idea what’s going on, and have no constructive solutions to offer.

Forum List

Back