Why Republicans Can't Cut...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
Pretty interesting and accurate take from Jack Hunter...

These days, virtually all Republicans call themselves “conservatives” and claim to be dedicated to cutting spending, balancing budgets, reducing debts and limiting government. Most of them are liars. The failure of the super committee this week was but the latest reminder.

The super committee was supposed to figure out how to reduce the deficit by $1.2 trillion over 10 years. If it failed, the result was supposed to be $1.2 trillion in “automatic cuts” over the next decade, with about $600 billion of that coming from the defense budget. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said any such cuts would be “devastating” to our military. Many prominent Republicans agreed with Panetta. Mitt Romney said: “We cannot put America’s safety in jeopardy by virtue of the failure of this committee.” Michele Bachmann echoed that sentiment: “We can’t do that to our brave men and women who are on the ground fighting for us.”

When conservative Republicans say they want to cut the Department of Education, the Department of Energy or anything else, liberal Democrats shriek that Republicans will “devastate” education, energy and any other part of our government that does not remain 100% intact. Conservatives rightly recognize this as a liberal scare tactic designed to prevent anyone from downsizing a federal government that so desperately needs downsizing. What separates liberals from conservatives is that whereas liberals love big government and will tell any lie to protect it, conservatives hate big government and will cut it at every opportunity they get — or at least this has long been perceived as the divide in American politics.

I stress the word “perceived,” because when it comes to Pentagon spending, too many Republicans still behave exactly like liberal Democrats.

Read more: Why Republicans can't cut | The Daily Caller

We've been over this already. If our budget isn't quintupled that of the rest of the world combined, how can we possibly protect ourselves? We need military bases in every nook and cranny of the world. We need to keep bin Laden's zombie from breaking into your house, raping your wife, and handing your children Noam Chomsky literature. And think of those poor, multi-billion dollar corporations that would suffer from this... don't expect the military to be handing out so many overinflated defense contracts after those cuts are made.

We've been over this already. If our budget isn't quintupled that of the rest of the world combined, how can we possibly protect ourselves? We need military bases in every nook and cranny of the world. We need to keep bin Laden's zombie from breaking into your house, raping your wife, and handing your children Noam Chomsky literature. And think of those poor, multi-billion dollar corporations that would suffer from this... don't expect the military to be handing out so many overinflated defense contracts after those cuts are made.

I'm just happy they're cutting anything at this point. The "Super Committee" failing was a good thing. Now just let these cuts happen and then go for more.

Yep paulitician... even if it means our everyday citizens have a worse life as a result...well, I guess as long as YOUR happy, that's all that counts.

Yep paulitician... even if it means our everyday citizens have a worse life as a result...well, I guess as long as YOUR happy, that's all that counts.

Yes because they have it so good now. Do you get the News where you live? And what about our future generations. Wouldn't it be the responsible thing to do to leave them a viable future? By 2015 the Debt is expected to be over $20 Trillion. It's time to do something. It's our responsibility.

Last edited:
The Defense Department is in the Constitution. "Provide for the Common Defense".

You can argue the size and scope and mission of it, but no one can make a case to eliminate it.

Yes because they have it so good now. Do you get the News where you live? And what about our future generations. Wouldn't it be the ressponible thing to do to leave them a viable future? By 2015 the Debt is expected to be over $20 Trillion. It's time to do something. It's our responsibility.

Yeah.... consolidate our Health Care system to get the profit out of it and make it streamlined and Beneficial to the people, get the top tax rates back to where they were in our most successful decades, Build, build, build. Get our electrical grid so that 62% of the energy generated does not get wasted.

Cutting our way out of this is irresponsible and weakminded. We need to grow our way out of this. Grow our way by putting our American Workforce in the position to be capable of supporting our Consumer driven economy, growing by making our infrastructure a modern, efficient model instead of the 1940's and 1950's model that we have today. Making Public Health a priority, not a money making opportunity. Making Education tailor made for individual students, not some cookie cutter(no Child left behind) mentality.

Fuck it... I could go on.. but I am talking to a brick wall, and I know it.

Yes because they have it so good now. Do you get the News where you live? And what about our future generations. Wouldn't it be the ressponible thing to do to leave them a viable future? By 2015 the Debt is expected to be over $20 Trillion. It's time to do something. It's our responsibility.

Yeah.... consolidate our Health Care system to get the profit out of it and make it streamlined and Beneficial to the people, get the top tax rates back to where they were in our most successful decades, Build, build, build. Get our electrical grid so that 62% of the energy generated does not get wasted.

Cutting our way out of this is irresponsible and weakminded. We need to grow our way out of this. Grow our way by putting our American Workforce in the position to be capable of supporting our Consumer driven economy, growing by making our infrastructure a modern, efficient model instead of the 1940's and 1950's model that we have today. Making Public Health a priority, not a money making opportunity. Making Education tailor made for individual students, not some cookie cutter(no Child left behind) mentality.

Fuck it... I could go on.. but I am talking to a brick wall, and I know it.

Cutting and balancing a budget is anything but "irresponible and weakminded." In fact it's the exact opposite. Seriously,do you get the News where you live? Our Politicians screwing the People over this way is irresponsible and weakminded. You have it completely backwards. Cut and balance the budget. Lets leave a viable future for our People.

Actually paulitician wants your taxes cut and you to have more money in your pocket. It's your gov't heros who have convinced you they're better equipped with your money than you are.

These days, virtually all Republicans call themselves “conservatives” and claim to be dedicated to cutting spending, balancing budgets, reducing debts and limiting government. Most of them are liars.

They are indeed liars. There is nobody outside of a handful of true fiscal conservatives that are even discussing cutting anything. At best, they're talking about reducing the rate spending will increase. Big fucking difference.

It's suffer now or suffer later. There is no getting around it. What part about our government is so deep in debt it's in virtual collapse don't you understand?

Last edited:

It's suffer now or suffer later. There is no getting around it. What part about our government is so deep in debt it's in virtual collapse don't you understand?

Yea some people will never get it. They just can't accept that much more pain is coming. I guess some have to live in denial. Cut spending and balance the budget. It will have to be done eventually. Why wait?

Forum List

Back