Why religion is good for us

"The secular person believes that compassion is due to the victim by virtue of what he has suffered"

A broad brush that is wrong of course.

"The secularist divides humanity into two: the victims and the victimisers"

Wrong again.

"The secularist de-moralises the world"

Wrong again, downright idiotic this time.

"the secularist is obliged to pretend, with all the rationalisation available to modern intellectuals, that people who get themselves into a terrible mess - for example, drug addicts - are not to blame for their situation."

:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

People who share my views of religion can be idiots too.

Atheists are clearly evil. We're just lurking out here, waiting to cook your kitten in a crockpot, force gay marriage down your throat, demoralize you, and seduce your children into a lifetime of hedony.

Run away, scaredy cats! Run away!

Atheists are clearly evil. We're just lurking out here, waiting to cook your kitten in a crockpot, force gay marriage down your throat, demoralize you, and seduce your children into a lifetime of hedony.

Don't forget about killing Christmas, Jesus, and Jack Bauer!....and the Atheist plot to spread radiation and cancer!...

Don't forget about killing Christmas, Jesus, and Jack Bauer!....and the Atheist plot to spread radiation and cancer!...

I'm currently teaching our children in schools that gay sex is cool and I'm going to spread some more hateful slander about religious groups and communities later on today.

It doesn't say religion is good for us...it says a belief in God is good for us. I happen to think both are good for us, in most cases, except for hardline christian and muslim fundamentalists.

I personally believe that a belief in God is good for anyone.

Religion? Not so much, because it seems to cause more division between various groups of people than anything else.

And, I'm not just talking about Christians, I'm talking about ALL religions.

The article is so painfully riddled with fallacy after fallacy. It makes me seriously question the validity of this Dalrymple guy. Even his "how I became an Atheist" story is an obvious fabrication.

catzmeow said:
Actually they are some of the most OPEN MINDED PEOPLE i have ever known!

I know several Atheists and i can talk to them about ANYTHING and they dont poke fun,etc...... Maybe its because THEY DONT LIMIT THEMSELVES to one way of thinking i dunno.....

My neighbor is an atheist. He is always the first to babysit animals for the week when one goes on vacation, help with cleanup after storms, go to the store for a sick neighbor, etc.
He has lived here for 20 years. Only last year he told me he was an atheist.

Having an ethical code that melds well with one's society is definitely a good thing.

Religion is one good way to craft such a code.

It's not the only way to do it, but it was the system we inherited.

Forum List

Back