Why register to vote at all?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by candycorn, Dec 18, 2011.

1. candycorn

candycorn Alis volat propriis

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,046
    For my friends on the left who swear that somehow presenting ID to vote is a violation of your rights, I ask, "Why register to vote at all?"

I mean, if the GOP wanted to get rid of Nancy Pelosi or the DNC wanted to get rid of John Boehner, would you be okay if we took bus loads of people and drove into their districts and let them cast ballots? If you think we shouldn't have to show ID's, would you be against such shenanigans? Because apparently, you're all for persons being able to vote when and where they wish totally without validation.

Ironically, both the Honorable Ms. Pelosi and the Honorable Mr. Boehner both represent the 8th districts of Ohio and California. Go figure.

2. Grampa Murked U

Grampa Murked U Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,772
    Vote democratic/vote often.

Obamas 2012 slogan.

3. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    As the elections in Russia last week showed, when some folks vote often it cancels the vote of those who vote for real.

When folks who have already voted vote again, or folks who aren't supposed to vote (illegals and the like) vote, it means that other people who vote legitimately have their rights suppressed.

4. candycorn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,046
    Nah, we talked about it and it's going to be this:

"If you want to live like a republican, you'd better vote like a democrat".

5. candycorn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,046
    Which is all the more reason as to why we should require both your voter's registration card and your picture ID when you cast a ballot in a State sanctioned election.

Hence my OP...if you don't think we should have such verification ("you" being those who oppose the idea--not you personally), why register to vote at all?

6. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119
    If you have the commitment to get on a bus and ride over to San Francisco, you deserve to vote there!

:eusa_angel:

7. candycorn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,046
    Well, that's one way to look at it. I spent a few weeks in NoCal a while back. I'd volunteer for that except I would likely vote for Ms. Pelosi just to make the wingnuts upset.

8. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,869
    Incorrect.

Registering to vote is perfectly appropriate as it can be done at any time in many ways allowing officials time to confirm the voter’s entitled to vote prior to a given election in a given jurisdiction.

Once registered a voter shouldn’t be compelled to demonstrate he’s authorized to vote in that jurisdiction at every election.

Requiring an ID is pointless and unneeded as there is no evidence of significant fraud to justify such a policy. It may discourage those otherwise eligible to vote from voting. And polling officials may fail to offer voters with no ID a provisional ballot as required by Federal law.

Requiring ID to vote is not a violation of one’s rights, of course, but there are many policies that aren’t un-Constitutional that are a bad idea nonetheless.

9. candycorn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,046
    It has been my experience that you must be registered anywhere from 30-60 days prior to the election.

If I say I'm person X, that should be good enough? If my neighbor has gone out of town or I know she isn't voting, or I know she is voting absentee, I could pose as her, could I not?

Again, "no evidence of significant fraud", I think you're not being honest. If your congressman loses by 50 votes and 50 ballots could be prevented from being cast, the number 50 becomes rather significant, does it not?

As for the "may" stipulations, pie in the sky. If you're discouraged from voting, you have nobody to blame but yourself. If polling officials fail to do something they should be doing...well that's simply the human factor at work.

This isn't one of them. One of the most basic tenants of our republic is "one person, one vote". I hear what you're saying but I disagree with your premise.

10. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119
    Wisconsin has same day registration.