Why "privatizing" our Post Office would be a mistake:

I don't think the venerable USPO should be privatized. Just look at Kevin Costner's movie "the postman" for inspiration. The Post Office is an icon and a symbol of what made America great. What needs to be done is ...gasp...streamline the bloated bureaucracy. Stop delivering mail on Saturday if that's what it takes. I got a Christmas card from a friend who lives about 12 miles away and it was postmarked about 100 miles in the other direction. Sooner or later the smart people in the private sector will do it better than the zombies who don't care about spending the taxpayers money and I think it's sad to let that happen.

What needs to be done is to increase postal rates.

44 cents to pick up a letter at my house and take it to California?

Try asking UPS or Fed Ex to do that!

And not just one letter either... over half a billion letters daily.

The people wanting a privatized fedex would totally bitch at the four or five times increase in mailing price per letter... unless of course they were shareholders.

Plus, you would have to PAY for fedex or USPS to make a pickup to your residence to receive letters, unlike the USPS which comes for free.

Last edited:
They aren't allowed to do it by law, you fucking dumbass.

Of course they are. I ship letters via fed ex frequently for work.

The cheapest rate for a fed ex envelope weighing .25 lbs, cross country (5-day) is $8.66.

Fed Ex and UPS are not allowed to Touch your Mail Box, By law they could not deliver ordinary mail unless it is Hand Delivered. Hence the Higher costs.

I'm aware. No one is allowed to "touch" your mailbox aside from you and the mailman. But they are allowed to slip envelops under the door or leave them on the porch.

Not to mention, regular mail is "hand delivered" to your mailbox anyway.

The reason why Fed Ex is more expensive is because they're allowed to be.

The post office is better and cheaper than Fed Ex or UPS.

Just like credit unions are better and cheaper than banks.

Better and cheaper?

I know you are a partisan hack, but that does not mean you are insane. If the post office is actually better and cheaper wouldn't it have more business than FedEx or UPS?

I don't think the venerable USPO should be privatized. Just look at Kevin Costner's movie "the postman" for inspiration. The Post Office is an icon and a symbol of what made America great. What needs to be done is ...gasp...streamline the bloated bureaucracy. Stop delivering mail on Saturday if that's what it takes. I got a Christmas card from a friend who lives about 12 miles away and it was postmarked about 100 miles in the other direction. Sooner or later the smart people in the private sector will do it better than the zombies who don't care about spending the taxpayers money and I think it's sad to let that happen.

What needs to be done is to increase postal rates.

44 cents to pick up a letter at my house and take it to California?

Try asking UPS or Fed Ex to do that!

And not just one letter either... over half a billion letters daily.

The people wanting a privatized fedex would totally bitch at the four or five times increase in mailing price per letter... unless of course they were shareholders.

Plus, you would have to PAY for fedex or USPS to make a pickup to your residence to receive letters, unlike the USPS which comes for free.

Furthermore... this is compared to the 1 million to 3 million that UPS and fedex ship daily.

Better and cheaper?

I know you are a partisan hack, but that does not mean you are insane. If the post office is actually better and cheaper wouldn't it have more business than FedEx or UPS?

It does have more business. The post office ships over half a billion packages daily... whereas fedex and ups ship 3 million and 1 million thereabouts respectively.

When you get down into the logistics of handling over 600 million packages per day, you can see that the volume far outdwarfs that of fedex and ups.

Last edited:
Of course they are. I ship letters via fed ex frequently for work.

The cheapest rate for a fed ex envelope weighing .25 lbs, cross country (5-day) is $8.66.

Fed Ex and UPS are not allowed to Touch your Mail Box, By law they could not deliver ordinary mail unless it is Hand Delivered. Hence the Higher costs.

I'm aware. No one is allowed to "touch" your mailbox aside from you and the mailman. But they are allowed to slip envelops under the door or leave them on the porch.

Wrong, it's Because they have to be. Unlike the USPS they can not operate at a loss.

Wrong, it's Because they have to be. Unlike the USPS they can not operate at a loss.

Of course they "can" operate at a loss. Plenty of companies do operate at a loss. They don't want to, though.

I hate to think how many times my
credit card payments ended up late
or lost in the mail thanks to the
USPS.How many bills never made it to me
so I ended up missing a payment altogether
or mailing it in late.

I try to use online payments
as much as possible.

I wouldn't mind a private
for profit company taking over.

Last edited:
I hate to think how many times my
credit card payments ended up late
or lost in the mail thanks to the
USPS.How many bills never made it to me
so I ended up missing a payment altogether
or mailing it in late.

I try to use online payments
as much as possible.

And just to think, next to your missing payments that you're talking about... the United States Post Office successfully delivers over 600 million letters and packages per day. Over 599 million more than UPS and over 597 million more than FedEx

There's a reason businesses use USPS to ship out payroll envelopes. Because it's cheap, and for the most part, it's entirely reliable.

Obviously there will be anomalies, but those are going to happen to any organization.

The solution according to the liberal mind is always predictable, confiscate more money from the private sector to compensate for the ineffiency of federal bureaucracies.

Private companies are more apt to do what it takes to please customers because they won't stay in business if they don't. The government doesn't have that limitation. They can be as bad as they want. When they don't stay in a budget, they just confiscate more money from the tax payers. If people aren't happy with how they run things, too bad. If the post office destroys your package by rough handling, you're out of luck if you didn't purchase insurance. Even when you do, you have to jump through hoops. If you're not happy or have a complaint about how they handled things, then don't expect that you have another avenue to pursue. The post office can be slow, mishandle packages or be as rude as can be when you walk into the post office. Private business know that will hurt business and they can't just take money when they need it, so they concern themselves more with customer service.

Last edited:

Bull-SHIT!

I just got tagged with a late fee because it took the postal "service" (I've been served quite enough, thankyouverymuch) took TEN FUCKING DAYS to get last month's MC payment delivered....Fortunately, my credit and payment histories are spotless and the charge was reversed.

First class mail my ass.

Mailed a bunch of bills once.
Gave the Citi Card payment 8 fucking days to get there.
The payment arrived one day late....Late is late the lady told me.
All the other payments arrived on time,early even.
You would think 8 days would be enough time....
They jacked up my interest rate,charged a late fee....

The Postal System blows for the most part.:evil:

Bull-SHIT!

I just got tagged with a late fee because it took the postal "service" (I've been served quite enough, thankyouverymuch) took TEN FUCKING DAYS to get last month's MC payment delivered....Fortunately, my credit and payment histories are spotless and the charge was reversed.

First class mail my ass.

Never any guarantees with government and no recourse when they screw you over.

Bull-SHIT!

First class mail my ass.

Boo hoo, you've had a bad experience. Most businesses rely on the USPS to reliably receive their invoices and deliver their payroll checks... pretty much all without a hitch.

And now you want to dismantle a big bad organization because you think being charged more for the same service is going to be an improvement. Let me tell you, I've had issues with UPS and FedEx too, but that doesn't turn me into a little bitch wanting them to be shut down... because I'm realistic and I know that for the most part they get things right.

If you keep laying down more and more sob stories about the USPS, I'm gonna think you're lying out of your ass just to try and prove a point.

No privatizing. Self supported institution that delivers a good ( Not Perfect ) service at a great price. Too many good paying jobs would be vanquished and replaced with jobs that pay less with less benefits. This is another fine example of if it is not broken we must break it. To further understand the lies about the post office why not read the laws that were written to screw the postal workers and put money in the private big money pockets. They are as follows. H.R. 22 and H.R. 1351. Here is the catch. The private company will not have a retirement fund and if they did they would not be required to fund it 75 years in advance as the only company in America is required to, and that is the post office and here is the cherry on top. The government will hold the money for the postal retirement fund now in the general revenue grab bag. It is a scam. A betrayal of all we hold as fair. If you support the cutting of 120.000 to 200,000 good paying jobs and replacing them with minimum wage workers then I just would like to say. You are anti American as this will effect families of all parties and put less revenue into the economy causing more job loss. Come on lets stick together on this at least.

Bull-SHIT!

First class mail my ass.

Boo hoo, you've had a bad experience. Most businesses rely on the USPS to reliably receive their invoices and deliver their payroll checks... pretty much all without a hitch.

And now you want to dismantle a big bad organization because you think being charged more for the same service is going to be an improvement. Let me tell you, I've had issues with UPS and FedEx too, but that doesn't turn me into a little bitch wanting them to be shut down... because I'm realistic and I know that for the most part they get things right.

If you keep laying down more and more sob stories about the USPS, I'm gonna think you're lying out of your ass just to try and prove a point.
When FedEx says it'll be there in two days, it's there in two days...And if it's not, they make everything as right as they can...No excuses, no bullshit.

When the USPS takes forever to deliver the mail and parcels that their monopoly continues to allow them and fucks up, you can just go suck a dick.

The shit needs to be junked and devolved to private enterprise to deal with.

When FedEx says it'll be there in two days, it's there in two days...And if it's not, they make everything as right as they can...No excuses, no bullshit.

When the USPS takes forever to deliver the mail and parcels that their monopoly continues to allow them and fucks up, you can just go suck a dick.

The shit needs to be junked and devolved to private enterprise to deal with.

FedEx doesn't always make their delivery date... same with UPS. I know from experience as I've had countless packages delivered to me. But that's okay, because they mostly get it right.

Same thing with the USPS.

They have no choice, you fucking drone. Where's the evidence that they do it "without a hitch?" Horrors stories about postal delivery are a dime a dozen.

The history of government services shows that private firms will charge less, not more. Furthermore, they will do the job better.

We already know you're lying out your ass. You're a libturd. That's what they do.

FedEx doesn't always make their delivery date... same with UPS. I know from experience as I've had countless packages delivered to me. But that's okay, because they mostly get it right.

Same thing with the USPS.
No, FedEx isn't perfect...Surprise, surprise.

But when they screw the pooch, I can get better customer service than some lackey at the Post Office telling me; "Hey!...ya fucked up, ya trusted us."

Forum List

Back