Why Perry Can't Win

I voted for Bush. I was floored when he lost! .

The problem wasn't his body language. You can thank the mediocre campaign he ran and, more significantly, Ross Perot for his defeat.

Very, very valid points. Do you think the Tea Party might have a "Perot Effect" on the 2012 election?

For a possible glimpse into the future, take a look at the most recent Massachusetts gubernatorial election. Deval Patrick is obama's 'Mini Me,' and was pretty unpopular for breaking campaign promises, wasting money, typical MA political hackery, etc. A third party candidate rather conveniently ran, drew off just enough votes from the Republican challenger, and look who is still governor. A lot of folks in the Bay State suspect Tim Cahill was 'encouraged' to run for just such purposes and will be duly compensated at a later date.

The GOP needs to get the message out that anyone who votes for a 3rd party candidate is directly voting for four more years of this obama mess.

[

My posts wasn't meant to be a "Our guy is better than your guy" or "Your guy sucks" or anything like that. Simply an observation that occured to me when I heard Perry on the radio and later found some old class files on my computer.

Of course, there are always peope who view anything other than total agreement / support as an attack. There are even those whose "intellectual debate" is limited to the MB equivalent of "Oh Yeah? Well this post is all poop and you're a poopyhead!" . But occasionally I find people like you, who can add to a topic or even disagree and do so intelligently. That's refreshing. :clap2:

Thanks, but don't give me too much credit. I'm usually pretty obnoxious.

[

and he cherrypicked intel and sent us to a war based on a lie and killed thousands of american servicemembers. .

That is of course not true. Bush is no longer President, you can move on to some new lefty talking points now.

You still don't get it, your still in the leftwing echo chamber. Bush stole no election, he was fairly elected. I understand that you didn't like the outcome, but please be honest. I don't think he was a good president, but he certainly wasn't the worst either. He was fiscally a liberal.

NO, guy, you can't see past YOUR echo chamber.

Gore got more votes. He won the election. This is fact.

More Americans wanted Al Gore to be president.

That is really, the only measure that should count in an election.

Bush manipulated a bad system and ignored what the people wanted. And at the end of the day, he's not going to be well thought of, for that and a host of other reasons.

Even you admit he was a bad president. Why are we still discussing this.

I agree that he has a real possibility for a victory if he can get the nomination. The problem is that Romney is a good campaigner and he will hit Perry as hard or harder than Perry hits him. Perry is vulnerable. They all are vulnerable.

Romney is a good campaigner? Seriously?

Hey, remember the 2008 campaign, where he dumped a shitload of money into Iowa and lost to a preacher who spent a shoestring of a budget?

And then he went on to New Hampshire, and lost to John McCain, a guy who had fired his entire campaign staff the year before.

Finally, he went on to Michigan, which no one was really contesting because they were holding a primary against the RNC's rules. He BARELY beat out McCain there, because his daddy was governor there once, and he basically had to promise the Auto Industry that they'd become a dependency of the US GOvernment. (When Obama actually did that, he flip flopped again.)

Ah, he did win the unimportant Nevada caucus, that no one bothered to show up at, but he came in FOURTH in South Carolina. That must have burned. The guy who came in third (Fred Thompson) quit the next day.

So really, a great campaigner? Pfaw, not really Keep in mind, the ONLY election this man has ever won was MA governor, because the Democrats ran a non-entity for the job. And again, he had to spend a lot of his own personal money. He didn't even dare try to run for re-election in 2006.

[

Gore won the election. This is fact. .

No, that is factually incorrect. Are you under the impression that if you repeat this nonsense often enough it will become true?

You win the most votes, you win the election.

Anything else is legal trickery.

So Bush's (S)election is to democracy what O.J.'s Trial was to criminal Justice...

Just so you get it in the proper perspective.

Thank heavens for the Electoral College. No one has ever given a good reason to end it.

No, there LOTS of good reasons to end it...

And frankly, the GOP should be worried that some day, they are going to get some payback. Damn well near happened in 2004, when Bush actually DID get more votes, but John Kerry came close enough in Ohio....

MOre to the point, it distorts democracy. It reduced elections to 10 swing states, which by definition disenfranchises the other 40.

I think you need a reality check.
Unemployment never went above 6% under Bush, and was typically under 5%.
Now, that's simply not true. It was over 6% in both 2003 and in 2008. And it was at 7.8% when he left office.

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

We had a long period of growth after the 01 recession. We had no terrorist attacks on US soil after Bush started his War on Terror. In fact we degraded al Qaeda's ability to attack us. Clinton's strategy was to treat it as a police matter. The proof his policies were so good is that Obama,who had consistently denounced them as a candidate, ended up extending them as president.

I could make as many argument that he made horrific mistakes in his fighting of the war, but to be fair, every wartime president has made errors.

That has nothing to do with the moral validity of taking a job when the voters pretty clearly preferred someone else.

Bush was hardly perfect and I opposed some of his policies. But he was a poltiical miracle worker compared to the yard ape in the White House now.

Besides making me wince by using a racially loaded term like "Yard Ape" to describe Obama, I'll agree his presidency is far better than Obama's. And a good thing for the GOP. Imagine what state the GOP would be in if Obama had actually succeeded?

Bush did not steal any election. He was duly elected according to the law. No study has ever shown anything different than that.

No, there were a lot of shennaingans.

First, the press pool did recount the Florida ballots, and found that under some interpretation of ballots, Gore got more of them. But we never got a count or a ruling on ballots, because the Supreme Court stopped the counts before they could happen.

Second, you had questionable things like the mob that showed up in Dade county and intimidated election judges trying to do a recount, or Kathleen Harris not allowing one county's votes. Not to mention, Jeb had purged 20,000 minorities off the voter rolls even though they were eligible to vote.

Now, you can argue the legal validity of all those actions. (And believe me, back in 2000, I did.) But it doesn't take away from the fact that Bush didn't get the most votes nationally, and probably didn't get the most votes in florida.

Final point- to be fair, if positions were reverse, Al Gore got less popular votes, but won Florida, he would have without a doubt claimed the presidency on the same grounds. In fact, there was a time when Gore took EXACTLY that position, when talleys were still unclear in Florida, but Bush still had a decent national lead until all the votes on the West Coast were completed.

And it would have been every bit as wrong. That isn't how it should work. Certainly not because a bunch of 18th century slaveholders inflicted a bad system on us.

[

No, that is factually incorrect. Are you under the impression that if you repeat this nonsense often enough it will become true?

So Bush's (S)election is to democracy what O.J.'s Trial was to criminal Justice...

He did win the most votes--the votes of electors in the Electoral College. That's all that counts.
Do you think that somehow the constitution is unimportant here?

You still don't get it, your still in the leftwing echo chamber. Bush stole no election, he was fairly elected. I understand that you didn't like the outcome, but please be honest. I don't think he was a good president, but he certainly wasn't the worst either. He was fiscally a liberal.

NO, guy, you can't see past YOUR echo chamber.

Gore got more votes. He won the election. This is fact.

More Americans wanted Al Gore to be president.

That is really, the only measure that should count in an election.

Bush manipulated a bad system and ignored what the people wanted. And at the end of the day, he's not going to be well thought of, for that and a host of other reasons.

Even you admit he was a bad president. Why are we still discussing this.

Please....quit embarrassing yourself. Popular vote DOES NOT equate a victory. Try reading up on why we even have an electoral college. Hint.....we have 50 states and not 5 states.
Our Founding Fathers were much more schooled than you will ever hope to be. :eusa_shhh:

He did win the most votes--the votes of electors in the Electoral College. That's all that counts.
Do you think that somehow the constitution is unimportant here?

No, I'm sure that it was technically correct constitutionally...

And so was the Dred Scott Decision.

So was the decision to send 110,000 Japanese Americans to concentration Camps. (Koramatsu v. Unisted States).

So was Roe v. Wade.

But saying that a gross injustice was legally or constutionally correct doesn't make it right.

Conservatives rightly have complained about Judicial Activism, but Gore v. Bush was the worst kind of judicial activism.

Please....quit embarrassing yourself. Popular vote DOES NOT equate a victory. Try reading up on why we even have an electoral college. Hint.....we have 50 states and not 5 states.
Our Founding Fathers were much more schooled than you will ever hope to be. :eusa_shhh:

The Founding Fathers were a bunch of slave owners who didn't want to pay their taxes.

Quit idolizing these clowns.

They put in this awful system because they were a bunch of rich white guys who didn't trust democracy any more than the King they had just thrown out. It was an awful system, otherwise we wouldn't need ten amendments related to elections/the presidency if they got it in one.

the 12, 15, 17, 19, 20, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 were all needed to be added to the constitution to either expand the franchise more fairly or correct oversights on how officials were elected or chosen. So they didn't produce anything near a perfect document.

The Founding Fathers were a bunch of slave owners who didn't want to pay their taxes.

They put in this awful system because they were a bunch of rich white guys who didn't trust democracy any more than the King they had just thrown out. It was an awful system, otherwise we wouldn't need ten amendments related to elections/the presidency if they got it in one.

the 12, 15, 17, 19, 20, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 were all needed to be added to the constitution to either expand the franchise more fairly or correct oversights on how officials were elected or chosen. So they didn't produce anything near a perfect document.

You could go ahead and just admit that you haven't a clue on why the US uses the electoral college. Google can be your friend, but please, quit embarrassing yourself...I'm feeling bad for you.

[

*sigh*

And now I tell you to learn about how our electoral system actually works, not how you wish it worked...then you deny reality for a while...then you go on about shoulda-woulda-coulda...then you try to change the subject...then you pause to vent your bigotry...then you overplay the little populist class warfare bit again...then you pretend you are a Republican...then you try to lie about who actually won the election in 2000...then I tell you AGAIN to learn about how our electoral system actually works...etc, etc, etc...

Is there nothing more to this little act, kid? I hope the DNC isn't paying you much for this, 'cause it's pretty weak, repetitive garbage.

[

Quit idolizing these clowns. .

Enough is enough. GTFO of my country. You do not deserve to be here.

You could go ahead and just admit that you haven't a clue on why the US uses the electoral college. Google can be your friend, but please, quit embarrassing yourself...I'm feeling bad for you.

Blah, blah, blah.

Frankly, they're a bunch of dead white guys, and I don't give a crap what they thought or what their reasoning was. They didn't trust the people. The Rich never do. We have a constitution that was constucted by rich guys, which is why it is so flawed.

Bush stole the election. I voted for him, was kind of happy he won (until he fucked up the country), but the fact is, the election was stolen. What happened was shameful, the world laughs at us and history will just shake its head.

[

Quit idolizing these clowns. .

Enough is enough. GTFO of my country. You do not deserve to be here.

You Mormons were the ones who tried to establish your own theocracy here...

You GTFO out of my country. Although I can't think of another country I dislike enough to wish you upon.

[

Blah, blah, blah.

Frankly, they're a bunch of dead white guys, and I don't give a crap what they thought or what their reasoning was. They didn't trust the people. The Rich never do. We have a constitution that was constucted by rich guys, which is why it is so flawed.

Bush stole the election. .

Repetition of lies, ignorant bullshit, and phoney class warfare by this democrat shill. He's just going to keep repeating the same nonsense over and over like Spam of Stupidity.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back