Why Obama’s Address to Schoolchildren Is Objectionable

I don't remember it being that big a deal when George Bush did it.

I don't remember it being that big a deal when George Bush did it.

The reasons put forth in the article provided would apply to any President, not just Obama.

Laura Bush defends Obama school speech WASHINGTON (CNN) — Former first lady Laura Bush is defending President Obama's decision to address the nation's school children, telling CNN Monday that it is "really important for everyone to respect the President of the United States."

"I think that there is a place for the President of the United States to talk to school children and encourage school children, and I think there are a lot of people that should do the same," she told CNN's Zain Verjee, in an interview set to air Monday on The Situation Room. "And that is encourage their own children to stay in school and to study hard and to try to achieve the dream that they have."

The former first lady said she believed criticism of the speech had arisen because of the accompanying lesson plans. If parents are opposed to the address, said Bush, "That's their right. You know that certainly is the right of parents to choose what they want their children to hear in school… (But) I think it's also really important for everyone to respect the President of the United States."

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time - Blogs from CNN.com

When he stops spending my great-grand kids money; when he boots every single leftist, radical czar out; when he gets the government out of the auto and bank businesses; when he stops trying to shove government run health care down my throat; when he loses his belief and ideals of radicalism as taught to him by his Marxist professors, Rev. Wright, and his terrorist 'acquaintances'; when the most liberal-senator-ever-turned-president stops trying to take this country and turn it into some form of Obamunism . . . . then maybe I'll have some respect for him.

Waaaah Waaaah Waaaah.

Really. Didn't Republicans learn ANYTHING when the Democrats were being morons from '01 - '04?

Complaining about every diddly damn little thing that the president does just weakens your argument when you actually DO want people to pay attention. Jesus. All the Republicans are doing are placing their feet in the same piles of shit that already have the Dem's footprints in them.

Waaaah Waaaah Waaaah.

Really. Didn't Republicans learn ANYTHING when the Democrats were being morons from '01 - '04?

Complaining about every diddly damn little thing that the president does just weakens your argument when you actually DO want people to pay attention. Jesus. All the Republicans are doing are placing their feet in the same piles of shit that already have the Dem's footprints in them.

Were you around on the internet when Clinton left office and Bush moved in? Same shit, different names. It's always easier taking cheap potshots from the bench than trying to lead, even vicariously as a keyboard commando. Both sides have their fringe doing it. Both sides are wrong. That won't stop them from endlessly repeating the same tired bullshit arguments ad nauseum until the Oval Office changes hands again. Nothing new to see here. :rolleyes:

Waaaah Waaaah Waaaah.

Were you around on the internet when Clinton left office and Bush moved in?

Yes, thats why I was referring to it.

:razz:

Waaaah Waaaah Waaaah.

Were you around on the internet when Clinton left office and Bush moved in?

Yes, thats why I was referring to it.

:razz:

:lol:
I wasn't sure from your post if that's what you were referring to. But it confirms at least one old adage: there's nothing new under the sun.

Waaaah Waaaah Waaaah.

You're slowly becoming one of my favorite posters here.

Laura Bush defends Obama school speech WASHINGTON (CNN) — Former first lady Laura Bush is defending President Obama's decision to address the nation's school children, telling CNN Monday that it is "really important for everyone to respect the President of the United States."

"I think that there is a place for the President of the United States to talk to school children and encourage school children, and I think there are a lot of people that should do the same," she told CNN's Zain Verjee, in an interview set to air Monday on The Situation Room. "And that is encourage their own children to stay in school and to study hard and to try to achieve the dream that they have."

The former first lady said she believed criticism of the speech had arisen because of the accompanying lesson plans. If parents are opposed to the address, said Bush, "That's their right. You know that certainly is the right of parents to choose what they want their children to hear in school… (But) I think it's also really important for everyone to respect the President of the United States."

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time - Blogs from CNN.com

When he stops spending my great-grand kids money; when he boots every single leftist, radical czar out; when he gets the government out of the auto and bank businesses; when he stops trying to shove government run health care down my throat; when he loses his belief and ideals of radicalism as taught to him by his Marxist professors, Rev. Wright, and his terrorist 'acquaintances'; when the most liberal-senator-ever-turned-president stops trying to take this country and turn it into some form of Obamunism . . . . then maybe I'll have some respect for him.

I wish I could have written my thoughts that clearly. Thanks, I agree 100%. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Waaaah Waaaah Waaaah.

Careful, you'll make C-Bass jealous.

Waaaah Waaaah Waaaah.

Careful, you'll make C-Bass jealous.
I think I just threw up a little.

blah blah bah..hairball.

I am sure the OP said this same thing about every other president when they spoke.

remember Ronny talking to children about tax cuts for the rich. ...that was a great one.

i am sure the op complained about that one as well..

no? oh well, maybe you are correct....blah blah blah.

blah blah bah..hairball.

I am sure the OP said this same thing about every other president when they spoke.

remember Ronny talking to children about tax cuts for the rich. ...that was a great one.

i am sure the op complained about that one as well..

no? oh well, maybe you are correct....blah blah blah.

I was not alive during Ronald Reagan's Presidency, so you'll have to forgive me for not speaking out.

Scratch that. I was alive. However, I was an infant, so you'll still have to forgive me.

Last edited:
but it was put forth against obama only...why?

I would venture a guess that it's because Obama is the current President.

So did you hear anything when bush did exactly the same thing? Where you alive during his uh...tenure?

Well that depends on when it was, I don't know offhand. I was in Middle School during the 2000 election, and not interested in politics. However, looking back, as I've maintained in this thread, I'm opposed to the President addressing students based on the fact that it's not their responsibility. So yes, I'd be opposed to Reagan, Bush, or Obama doing it.

The GOP should respond immediately after the speech only instead of having some senator or (ex)governor do it they should just play the clip of Joe Pesci giving opening statements to the jury in My Cousin Vinny.

"Everything that guy just said is bull shit. Thank you."

Forum List

Back