Why Obama deserves the Birther rumors...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by chrismac, Dec 5, 2009.

1. chrismac

chrismac Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yeah, I said it.

There's no question in my mind that Obama's a U.S. citizen and eligible to be President. That said, I think he absolutely deserves the birther conspiracy theories.

I think he could've ended the controversy had he just released a long form, official birth certificate with a stamp and let any reporter or journalist who felt the question was pressing enough verify it. In fact, if he wanted the question to go away, he'd have personally invited FOX News to go down there and look over the official document. That would've shown he had absolutely nothing to be afraid of and had nothing to hide. Trying to cherry pick who can see it (because it's too easy to dismiss most of those adamant about how unfounded birtherism is as being totally in the tank for Obama, and it wouldn't be a total lie, because most liberals figured this was bullshit from day one). Yeah, FOX News could have seen it and still lied and said it was a forgery or something...I don't know. Neither does Obama.

Also, using officials and fact-checkers to really really make the point that Obama is eligible for President comes off more evasive and esoteric than forthright. Really, it points to a big problem conservatives have with Obama, the man: that he has a slick, lawyerly way about him, and it's hard (for us, at least) not to feel a little gamed after we hear him speak. I'll be really honest and say I think liberals are as ruthless as conservatives and I wouldn't expect too many outlets to openly discuss their skepticism over Obama's records...and I think a lot of conservatives feel that way. That's why assuring people that no, really honestly truly deeply Obama's eligible to be President is just screaming into the wind for many, because they don't accept the same media outlets that have ruthlessly pandered to the Left this entire time to be above-board about ANYTHING that makes them look bad.

And honestly, the same media that entertained speculation about Trig Palin (that's more offensive than suggesting Obama's not a citizen, but liberals think implying the Palin's have an incestuous love affair going on is OK, but suggesting Obama isn't a citizen is just sour grapes and latent racism...yeah ok) and spent the past eight years calling Bush an illegitimate President can't bitch about conspiracy theories. There was never this type of concerted, cohesive effort by the media to sink the truthers, and at their peak, about as many of left thought there was some truth to their claims as some of the right believe there's some truth to the birthers claims.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  2. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    Obama not releasing it serves two purposes:

1.) The rabid right looks even more insane.

2.) Obama is not about to give in to the whims of a couple of nuts. Because if you seriously think if Obama released any sort of "birth certificate" that he hasn't already and it would be accepted, you're naive. The birthers would just say it's a fake and continue on.

Or, if they somehow were forced to accept it through even their lack of logic, they'll find something else to hound him on.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. Yurt

Yurt Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,038
    and you just proved the OP's assertion right....he deserves it.....he could have stopped this cold in the very beginning, but as you say.....he is purposefully withholding information that could have ended this immediately

4. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,935
    Obama's birth is "Settled Science", nobody seen the underlying documents and there are many statements going against it, but we're told it's a done deal

5. chrismac

chrismac Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10
    LOL, I wonder where I've heard that one before. Was it from the man who discovered and solved global warming? Cereally?

6. RadiomanATL

RadiomanATL Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,836
    And you missed the point.

He's withholding it because it only helps him.

Releasing it would not hurt him, but withholding it marginalizes a rabid segment of the opposition.

So why wouldn't he withhold it? There's no downside, only ups.

7. Yurt

Yurt Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,038
    no, you missed my point....that is why he deserves the continued speculation....

the point of the OP seems to be, that obama deserves the continued speculation as he purposefully fostered it...hence why i stated dogbreath proved the OP right....which, btw, you cut from my post, which actually explains my entire post

8. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,062
    Why do you think it would have stopped? Look at all the 9/11 conspiracy theories. It doesn't matter what the evidence is, the "truthers" never believe it. Why do you think it would stop if he released his birth certificate?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  9. RadiomanATL

RadiomanATL Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,836
    There's no "deserved" in the whole thing. It's not like its a punishment. Thats what I am saying. It's more like "welcomed" instead of "deserved".

10. blu

blu Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +774
    it would be a very bad precedent for president's to answer every conspiracy brought against them. think about bush:

- why didn't he deny he had prior knowldge of 9/11
    - why didnt he deny letting poor people die during katrina
    - why didnt he refute that he lied about iraq
    - why didn't he refute he was a facist
    - why .....

then clinton

- why didn't he refture that he and hillary had those 20 some people killed that were speaking against him
    - why didn't he refute that he let osama go for private gain
    - why didn't ....

once you answer one you then you have to answer them all.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2009