Why Obama advocates can't afford to make a big deal about Mormon candidates

Why pro-Obama forces on the campaign trail, in the media, in backroom strategy meetings, etc. can't afford to dissect Romney's religion as a way to discredit him:

A. Harry Reid

I'd say it should be off-limits since Jeremiah Wright's sermons were. That wouldn't be enough to stop Democratic strategists two-facedness though.

But Harry Reid being Mormon will.

They can't afford to undermine the leader of the Senate.

Are you REALLY this stupid? When was the last time anyone in the Democratic party made a comment that Romney's religion is an issue? If you recall during the campaign leading up to the 2008 election, it was the GOP who made it an issue. So much so, that Romeny felt the need to dedicate a whole speech to it.

I don't listen to all that many people in the Democrat party. Democrats on the grass roots / forum level seem to have a problem with some Christian denominations. And Maddow made it a point to ask Carter if Romney's religion would be a problem. Why was she talking about it? Not saying she or any one on the left posed it as something objectionable. Edit to add: I forgot - I have seen people on the left saying they would never vote for a Mormon because of how Mormons treated blacks.

But whatever they are saying in the venues I don't listen to, I don't understand why you ask if I'm stupid. I know what people are saying on my side. I'm mostly addressing them. My point is the powers that be won't make a deal about Romney's religion. Perhaps you haven't been reading the posts by people who say they will. Some on the right are suggesting the left will make a big deal out of it. Some on the right are doing this to try to convince Romney supporters that Romney will be another McCain.

McCain whom the New York Times endorsed for the Republican nomination and then went into overdrive to discredit after he won the nomination.

I'm sure that a lot of liberals who are now talking about Romney as the Republican who has the best chance against Obama will indeed start trash talking him after he wins the nomination. I'm just saying that contrary to what some on the right (and in the middle?) are saying, I don't think they will use his religion to do that.

If people on the editorial staff at MSNBC start talking about doing exposes on Mormonism - as some on the right are saying they will - I'd expect someone in the room to say, um, wait, that could backfire on us.

Businessman and presidential candidate Herman Cain is nothing if not outspoken. In a candid interview with the Washington Times published Monday, Cain said GOP frontrunner Mitt Romney would be a "good choice" but will have problems winning the Southern primaries, just as he had in 2008. Cain's reasoning? The former Massachusetts governor's ties to Romneycare and being a Mormon.
Cain was making a case for why he would be the better Republican for the 2012 nomination when he made an issue of Romney's religion. In conjunction with the Massachusetts state health care system supported by and made law by Romney when he was governor, Cain contended that Romney could not and would not win primaries in the South.
He said Romney's religion did not bother him but "I do know that it's an issue with a lot of Southerners."
"I know the South," the Atlanta radio talk show host and CEO of Godfather's Pizza told the Times, "and you have to win the South. Mitt Romney didn't win the South when John McCain won the South and Mike Huckabee won the South. And I think that the reason he will have a difficult time winning the South is when he ran the first time he did not do a good job of communicating his religion."

Herman Cain Says Romney Can't Win Because He's Mormon - Yahoo! News

Is Herman Cain lying?

Why pro-Obama forces on the campaign trail, in the media, in backroom strategy meetings, etc. can't afford to dissect Romney's religion as a way to discredit him:

A. Harry Reid

I'd say it should be off-limits since Jeremiah Wright's sermons were. That wouldn't be enough to stop Democratic strategists two-facedness though.

When was the last time a Democrat running for office made religion an issue against an opponent?

:eusa_eh:

A. Harry Reid

You forgot to cite evidence that Obama supporters are using Romeny’s religion ‘against him.’ And the fact that the leader of Senate democrats is a Mormon undermines your thread’s thesis.

Since when do we have to keep religion in our homes? This is the United States of America. We have the right to express our faith publicly. And I will oppose anyone who says otherwise.

Americans also have the right to be free from religion, to not have it un-Constitutionally conjoined with public venues, to not have it codified in their laws. And I will oppose anyone who says otherwise.

A belief that the Constitution is established of God (Which it is) is a good belief. Because those who believe that will strive to uphold it.

And you failed to cite evidence that the Constitution is 'established of God' (Which it is not). Those who are free from faith are more likely to uphold it, religious extremism is often the Constitution’s enemy.

I don't listen to all that many people in the Democrat party.

Then you’re in no position to opine as to ‘democratic motives.’

But the more you guys protest that you don't care about religion, the more I remember what I have heard. I had forgotten that I have heard the left make a deal about religion.

About evangelicals as rightwing religious nuts.
The issue is their politics, not their religion. If they’d privately practice their faith and not try to foist it upon everyone else through the legislative or judicial process, then there’d be no conflict.

Last edited:
No candidate today can afford to opening attack the opponent because of their religious preference and there is no reason to do so.

The predictions I've heard have been more along the lines of the MSM would start running specials on the history and beliefs of Mormonism in a "subtle" attempt to keep Romney's religion in the minds of the masses in a negative way.

It's the fastest growing religion in the world. Do you think it's going to remain some sort of secret?

Learned about from this cartoon..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q6brMrFw0E]The Secret World of Mormonism - Mormon Cartoon - YouTube[/ame]

:eusa_shhh:

A. Harry Reid

When was the last time a Democrat running for office made religion an issue against an opponent?

Why do you ask about Democrats running for office doing that. I did not even suggest that as a possibility.

I'm talking about the kind of dirty work the candidate's water carriers would do.

It has been predicted that Obama's media minions will start running special shows on Mormonism to try to paint it as a far out religion and thus make Romney sound like a far out candidate by association.

My response to that prediction is that I think the national level Democrats will be too protective of Harry Reid to try that.

A. Harry Reid

You forgot to cite evidence that Obama supporters are using Romeny’s religion ‘against him.’ And the fact that the leader of Senate democrats is a Mormon undermines your thread’s thesis.

Could you be more dense?

I did not forget to cite anything. My whole point was that it wasn't likely to happen.

The fact that Harry Reid is a Mormon is exactly why I made my post and exactly why my position is that the national level Democrats WON'T use religion against Romney.

Man, I have to take a break now. Gonna go outside and get some fresh air.

I'm afraid whatever IQ-killing-virus you have might be contagious.

A. Harry Reid

Why do you ask about Democrats running for office doing that. I did not even suggest that as a possibility.

I'm talking about the kind of dirty work the candidate's water carriers would do.

It has been predicted that Obama's media minions will start running special shows on Mormonism to try to paint it as a far out religion and thus make Romney sound like a far out candidate by association.

My response to that prediction is that I think the national level Democrats will be too protective of Harry Reid to try that.

Well I am talking about Democratic candidates directly doing that..like Republican candidates do.

When has that happened?

Well I am talking about Democratic candidates directly doing that..like Republican candidates do.

When has that happened?

Well, since you're determined to push on with that point in spite of it having nothing to do with my OP, I have an example for you.

Alan Grayson v. Dan Webster.

Alan Grayson attempted to use Webster's religiosity against him, taking a quote Webster made about scripture out of context and implying that Webster meant something 180 degrees away from what Webster actually said.

Fortunately, Grayson was not rewarded for his antics.

A. Harry Reid

They won't have to. The Christian Right will do that for them.

A. Harry Reid

No candidate today can afford to opening attack the opponent because of their religious preference and there is no reason to do so.

Thats what attack people are for. so the candidate doesnt have to get dirty.

I'm atheist. I don't care about their religion as long as it stays in their house.

Since when do we have to keep religion in our homes? This is the United States of America. We have the right to express our faith publicly. And I will oppose anyone who says otherwise.

I'll reiterate just for you.

I don't want his personal religion influencing his decision making on any scale. I don't care who it is, or what they stand for.

Hence the "stay at home" statement.

Not to physically keep his beliefs at home.

Otherwise this country would become nothing more than another Saudi Arabia/Iran.

I wonder how you would react in this situation............Now this is just a "story" :

When you were younger, your grandmother told you about the Rapture. She told you how God was going to remove his believers from this earth, and that the antichrist would rule everyone. She told you how horrible this time was going to be for everyone left behind. You thought that was pretty weird and just blew it off as a dumb tale.

Years later, you become the President of the United States. Everything's going well, then in a "blink of an eye"...Millions of people just disappear. You country is in chaos, people are screaming at you to do something! That dumb tale your grandmother told you comes back to you...you KNOW she was right!

Now, will your decision be influenced by this at all? More than likely there won't be a whole lot you can do, but will you ask your people to start praying? Will you pray for them?

Ya...i know it's silly...just humor me :)

A. Harry Reid

Southern republican evangelicals are the reason why Romney didn't get the nominee in 2008, had nothing to do with democrats, I'm thinking the same thing will happen in 2012. They weren't comfortable with Romney's religion, they preferred Huckabee's so McCain essentially won by default.

I'm not a democrat, nor have I ever voted for one, just as a disclaimer.

A. Harry Reid

Southern republican evangelicals are the reason why Romney didn't get the nominee in 2008, had nothing to do with democrats, I'm thinking the same thing will happen in 2012. They weren't comfortable with Romney's religion, they preferred Huckabee's so McCain essentially won by default.

I'm not a democrat, nor have I ever voted for one, just as a disclaimer.

I thought it was more Huckabee than anything

What?

I'll sum up your OP as I perceived it in one sentence:

"The left can't badger Romney about being a Mormon, because Harry Reid is a Morman too."

Now, if I didn't understand you correctly, feel free to correct me.

Either way, it's absurd. We are the party that doesn't care what religion you belong too. We elected the first Catholic and we have a Muslim in congress (which the right did make a big deal out of). The DNC is dysfunctional in it's own right, but we can truly say we don't have a religious litmus test.

If Romney's religion is going to matter, it will be in the primary. If he survives that, he's got a good chance as he's A.) Not fucking crazy B.) Has Moderate Appeal C.) Will pick up all the GOP votes he lost.

Obama will have a hard race against Romney. Not so much Bachmann (whose toast now anyways) or Perry.

That would be an adequate summary of my OP on a surface level. However your use of the word "badger" suggests to me that you got the spirit of my post wrong. The intention behind my post was to say that the right is incorrect when they predict that the left will make a big deal about Romney being Mormon, because the power players on the left are smart enough to see that there would be pitfalls to that.

However, as my continued reading has shown me, you are full of shaving cream to say that the left doesn't care about religion.

The left has a lot of fundamentalist religious people in it. A lot of people who aren't lockstep with the national Democratic image. For example a lot of people who are opposed to gay marriage. And a lot of people who wouldn't vote for a Mormon, because he was a Mormon. I bought into the "Democrats are tolerant" meme. You sweet Democrats forced me to remember/learn more about your intolerance when you insisted on missing the point that I was actually criticizing some Republican predictions. lol. Good job.

Wow. We've gone full circle on the crazy train. I don't even know what you are bitching about now.

We certainly have our own issues we get hung up on, religion just isn't one of them.

Did I mention that the sole Muslim member of congress is a Democrat?

How much hay did the right wing punditry try and make out of that?

"Swearing in on a Koran?????? How dare he?????????"

Wow. We've gone full circle on the crazy train. I don't even know what you are bitching about now.

We certainly have our own issues we get hung up on, religion just isn't one of them.

Did I mention that the sole Muslim member of congress is a Democrat?

How much hay did the right wing punditry try and make out of that?

"Swearing in on a Koran?????? How dare he?????????"

27% of Democrats say they wouldn't vote for a Mormon for President. That is greater than the amount of Republicans who say they wouldn't.

I wasn't bitching. I was making a point to some people who are concerned about what "journalists" like Chris Matthews would do if Romney were the nominee.

You're the one on the crazy train - you never did know what I was "bitching" about - you just jumped in and started arguing when you didn't even disagree with my central point. Do you argue just to argue?

Forum List

Back