Why Not Nominate the Next Reagan in 2012?

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
Pretty good piece. I would vote for him again.

If Republicans could, surely they would nominate Ronald Reagan for president in 2012. As it appears increasingly likely that Republicans -- conservative Republicans -- will control Congress after the 2012 elections, the only missing element in the political equation is a strong, conservative president like Ronald Reagan. In the mix of possible candidates for 2012, there are some potentially promising people.

Sarah Palin, rightly beloved by nearly all conservatives for her honesty, her advocacy, and her spunk, will figure into any list of candidates. Mitt Romney, who decently withdrew from the race before he lost in 2008, ought to be on the short list as well. Mike Huckabee will be some conservatives' favorite as well. Tim Pawlenty has decided that America really needs him to be president, and other Republicans will too.

With deepest respect for Sarah, none of these candidates is another Reagan. Many people have decided that we simply will not find another Reagan for a long time. I think otherwise. During the 2008 nomination season, I wrote several articles proposing a Republican not yet in the race as the Next Reagan. The stars were not aligned right then for him, but all that may be different in 2012. What do we want in our Next Reagan?

First, we want someone whose conservatism is beyond question -- someone who campaigned hard for Doug Hoffman, for example, even while the RNC was supporting the RINO. Second, we want someone of absolute integrity -- someone who is willing to stand all alone if he thinks he is right. Third, we want someone who does not "need" politics -- someone who was a great success in life before entering politics. Fourth, we want someone disassociated from the failures of Obama and also of Bush -- someone who grasped America's disgust with Washington long before the Beltway insiders. Fifth, we want a "grownup" -- someone who is in every sense of the word mature, sober, and serious. Sixth, we want a great communicator -- someone, like Reagan, who works well in every medium of communication. Seventh, we want someone who is universally perceived as a good man -- just like Reagan. One Republican in 2008 met all those criteria, and in 2012, he stands out at least as clearly as anyone as our Next Reagan: Fred Thompson.

American Thinker: Why Not Nominate the Next Reagan in 2012?

Instantly a problem or two with this line of thought comes to mind. Reagan had the ability to inspire. Though his governance was opposite the rhetoric, his rhetoric was government is the problem, not the answer. Thompson believes in government solutions and Thompson, even when he is right, can bore you into a complete stupor just by saying "Good evening ladies and gentlemen".

Great communicator? He did terrible in the last election.

Not only that but he voted for McCain Fiengold. And I seriously distrust anyone who votes to take away our first amendment rights.

Instantly a problem or two with this line of thought comes to mind. Reagan had the ability to inspire. Though his governance was opposite the rhetoric, his rhetoric was government is the problem, not the answer. Thompson believes in government solutions and Thompson, even when he is right, can bore you into a complete stupor just by saying "Good evening ladies and gentlemen".

Ronald Reagan was a fraud. Pure and simple, a fraud.

If Republicans could, surely they...clearly as anyone as our Next Reagan: Fred Thompson.

you missed this part? "but Paul Harvey chose Thompson to stand in on his radio show" :lol:

Case closed. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

(6) Thompson is not only a star of film and television, but Paul Harvey chose Thompson to stand in on his radio show -- a great compliment to Thompson's voice. He has spent decades in all areas of communication and mastered them well.

If Republicans could, surely they would nominate Ronald Reagan for president in 2012. As it appears increasingly likely that Republicans -- conservative Republicans -- will control Congress after the 2012 elections, the only missing element in the political equation is a strong, conservative president like Ronald Reagan. In the mix of possible candidates for 2012, there are some potentially promising people.

Sarah Palin, rightly beloved by nearly all conservatives for her honesty, her advocacy, and her spunk, will figure into any list of candidates. Mitt Romney, who decently withdrew from the race before he lost in 2008, ought to be on the short list as well. Mike Huckabee will be some conservatives' favorite as well. Tim Pawlenty has decided that America really needs him to be president, and other Republicans will too.

With deepest respect for Sarah, none of these candidates is another Reagan. Many people have decided that we simply will not find another Reagan for a long time. I think otherwise. During the 2008 nomination season, I wrote several articles proposing a Republican not yet in the race as the Next Reagan. The stars were not aligned right then for him, but all that may be different in 2012. What do we want in our Next Reagan?

First, we want someone whose conservatism is beyond question -- someone who campaigned hard for Doug Hoffman, for example, even while the RNC was supporting the RINO. Second, we want someone of absolute integrity -- someone who is willing to stand all alone if he thinks he is right. Third, we want someone who does not "need" politics -- someone who was a great success in life before entering politics. Fourth, we want someone disassociated from the failures of Obama and also of Bush -- someone who grasped America's disgust with Washington long before the Beltway insiders. Fifth, we want a "grownup" -- someone who is in every sense of the word mature, sober, and serious. Sixth, we want a great communicator -- someone, like Reagan, who works well in every medium of communication. Seventh, we want someone who is universally perceived as a good man -- just like Reagan. One Republican in 2008 met all those criteria, and in 2012, he stands out at least as clearly as anyone as our Next Reagan: Fred Thompson.

[youtube]v0EsY-aS7ws[/youtube]

:lol:

[youtube]v0EsY-aS7ws[/youtube]

just finished your third fifth, eh dante?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Senator Thompson. In fact before the Republican nomination was hijacked in favour of McCain? I was in Fred's Corner.

There's nothing WRONG with nominating another Ronald Reagan. His mortal coil may be gone, his principles live on, as do other great figures in history. Proven principles never die, they are dusted off when people forget, and need be reminded. And it's a damned shame that dust is let to collect upon them.

Fred would be a good choice.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back