why not make the minimum wage $30 an hour?

May 21, 2015
or $300 a hour? Since you are CLAIMING that the wages paid to employees have no effect on a company's ability to show a profit, why not just legislate poverty out of existence, hmm? "Domestic' companies dont have to compete in a global market (or so you CLAIM) so why not just do this? Then, when your food costs go up by a factor of 10, you can blame it on the "greedy" farmers, right?

or $300 a hour? Since you are CLAIMING that the wages paid to employees have no effect on a company's ability to show a profit, why not just legislate poverty out of existence, hmm? "Domestic' companies dont have to compete in a global market (or so you CLAIM) so why not just do this? Then, when your food costs go up by a factor of 10, you can blame it on the "greedy" farmers, right?

It has to stay below how much skilled and educated workers are making.

Name the people who have claimed that raising the minimum wage to $30 an hour would have no effect on a business's profits.

Name 10.

Last edited:
How about we just bring it to levels equivalent to what I used to make when I made $2 an hour in the 70s

That would be around $15 an hour today

How about we just bring it to levels equivalent to what I used to make when I made $2 an hour in the 70s

Let's not and say we did. Do you like going to McDonalds?

I like having low wage workers be able to afford basic necessities like I could at just $2 an hour

I paid a years tuition at college working just summers.....why can't low wage workers today?

I like having low wage workers be able to afford basic necessities like I could at just $2 an hour

I paid a years tuition at college working just summers.....why can't low wage workers today?

Good for you. A part time job at a fast food joint isn't designed to pay for today's college tuition costs . College Tuition keeps going up, partly because of the amount of student loans being subsidized by Uncle Sam. Tuition costs are the problem that you should be complaining about. Now as far as burger king or McDonalds, I rarely go there, and I hope you don't go there either (the shit really is poison) but a minimum wage hike will certainly get passed down to the consumer and possibly even cause layoffs. In the end it does more harm than good.

Good for you. A part time job at a fast food joint isn't designed to pay for today's college tuition costs . College Tuition keeps going up, partly because of the amount of student loans being subsidized by Uncle Sam. Tuition costs are the problem that you should be complaining about. Now as far as burger king or McDonalds, I rarely go there, and I hope you don't go there either (the shit really is poison) but a minimum wage hike will certainly get passed down to the consumer and possibly even cause layoffs. In the end it does more harm than good.

Minimum wage has not kept up with ANY economic variable
For that $2 an hour, I could have bought a new car after six months work.
Today it would take you a year

I could buy 8 gallons of gas for that car......today you can buy 3

Are you saying minimum wage hasn't kept pace with inflation because if you are I believe you are wrong?

According to pew minimum wage has lost 8% of it's purchasing power due to inflation.

5 facts about the minimum wage Pew Research Center

Last edited:

Are you saying minimum wage hasn't kept pace with inflation because if you are I believe you are wrong?

I know what I made when I was paid minimum wage in the 70s and what I could have bought on $2 an hour

I even could have bought 4 packs of cigarettes vs one today
I could have bought two six packs of beer vs one today
I could have seen two movies vs one today

If a minimum wage worker today were to have the same buying power I had in the 70s, they would need to be paid $15 an hour

you do realize that now, everyone above minimum wage will ask for a raise .....

Hell yea.....let low wage workers have the buying power they had in the 70s

They could actually do things like support their families without the taxpayer

(relatively) Simple question, when comparing wages then vs now, why is the problem always wages and not the rise of inflation?

(relatively) Simple question, when comparing wages then vs now, why is the problem always wages and not the rise of inflation?
'Maybe because when wages at this level do not keep pace with inflation.....the taxpayer has to make up the difference

the post WW2 era, until the early 70's when OPEC slapped down the US, were a historical fluke, the benefit of the WW buildup and victory. That's been over-with for 40 years now and people STILL want to believe that it was some kind of "norm" Actually, the norm is and was 60+ hours per week and getting nowhere, same as today, for 90% of the population. And for the same reasons (lack of a WORTHWHILE education and having kids that they couldnt/can't afford to raise properly

WHO says that the taxpayer "HAS" to make up the difference, hmm? All the poor have to do, really, is stop having kids that they can't afford to raise properly. Presto, in 3 generations, no more poor people (assuming, of course, that we seal off our Southern border and run off the illegals.

Let's double SS and Mil retirement pay while we're at it.....the Chinese got lots of money...

Forum List

Back