Why not let the states handle marriage and drug laws?

Londoner

Gold Member
Jul 17, 2010
HEY GOP. Why not trust the states to take care of themselves for once?

Why not give people the power to decide their political lives locally? Why does the Right always need Big Government to take care of everything?

Why did Bush send Big Brother into California to shut down medical marijuana facilities?

Why does the GOP always want to use the power of the Federal Government? I get why you want to keep marriage sacred, but why put Big Government in charge of it? Why turn to Washington for something as sacred as marriage? Why does Washington have to be at the foot of every bed, and in charge of every ceremony? Why not give states and individuals more power over their moral lives and traditions? Why not keep Big Brother out of our sacred traditions?

Why can't Republicans return control to the states? Why do they have to use Government to micro-manage the social lives of Americans?

Why did they create the biggest, most expensive, most intrusive, most wasteful federal bureaucracy in history?
A hidden world, growing beyond control | washingtonpost.com

(If you don't trust government enough to run a laundromat, than don't give it the power and money to rebuild whole Arab countries. Why didn't anybody on the Right question Bush when he decided to trust Washington with one of the largest projects it has ever undertaken? Where was the Tea Party when the Right called upon Big Government to do such Large & Expensive things?)

Do you know how massive the government needs to be in order to rebuild entire regions of the world? Do you know what the War on Terrorism costs? Has anyone ever questioned the utopian theory of "saving" Islam and changing the way they live? This is more of a Big Government fantasy than anything ever dreamed by FDR or LBJ.

Does anyone remember Nancy Reagan's war on drugs . . . which blossomed into one of the largest, most ineffective, most expensive Big Government failures in history? This failure merely gave MASSIVE centralized power to Big Brother while wasting money and making things worse. It's like the War on Terrorism: the American people are no safer, but at least citizens have fewer civil rights and government bureaucrats have expanded surveillance powers.

(why do republicans always look to Big Brother to keep them safe? why do they give Washington bureaucrats so much power to watch over them?)

We know the libs like to grow government at every turn, but here is my question: why does the party of small government like to grow it even more?

Bush's Medicare Part D represented the greatest expansion of Medicare in the program's history. Why didn't we hear a peep from the Tea Party?

Why do GOP voters always let their leaders spend and grow government?

Why don't they return power to the states?

Why do Republicans trust Big Government to do so much?

Last edited:
1- Californians voted to ban fag marriage. Don't blame outside GOP'ers.

2- The Feds have already said they'll enforce weed laws whether states like it or not. The GOP is NOT in control right now, and the Feds under Obama/Holder are still saying that. Don't blame the GOP. Today, your beloved weed is being enforced by the Democrat controlled Federal Government.

3- The GOP led Arizona gov't tried to enforce it's borders. The DEMOCRAT controlled Feds sued the state gov't, preventing it. Why didn't the Dems let Arizona protect it's own Southern border? Don't blame the GOP.

4- The GOP would gladly let states set their own abortion laws to ban it completely. Would you be ok with that on the ballots in all 50 states?

5- The GOP wants to allow states to decide whether or not their citizen's have the right to leave their own body uninsured. But...the Democrats say no. Dems believe the Federal Gov't has the right to force, by threat of violence for non-compiance, each human to use his private money to purchase a private service from a private company. Don't blame the GOP.

So what exactly is it the GOP is pissing you off about?

[...]

This failure merely gave MASSIVE centralized power to Big Brother while wasting money and making things worse. It's like the War on Terrorism: the American people are no safer, but at least citizens have fewer civil rights and government bureaucrats have expanded surveillance powers.

[...]
And therein lies the tale.

Why do Republicans trust Big Government to do so much?

The same reason Democrats do. The people who finance them want control over us. This is much easier to achieve if power is concentrated and centralized.

2- The Feds have already said they'll enforce weed laws whether states like it or not. The GOP is NOT in control right now, and the Feds under Obama/Holder are still saying that. Don't blame the GOP. Today, your beloved weed is being enforced by the Democrat controlled Federal Government.

3- The GOP led Arizona gov't tried to enforce it's borders. The DEMOCRAT controlled Feds sued the state gov't, preventing it. Why didn't the Dems let Arizona protect it's own Southern border? Don't blame the GOP.

4- The GOP would gladly let states set their own abortion laws to ban it completely. Would you be ok with that on the ballots in all 50 states?

5- The GOP wants to allow states to decide whether or not their citizen's have the right to leave their own body uninsured. But...the Democrats say no. Dems believe the Federal Gov't has the right to force, by threat of violence for non-compiance, each human to use his private money to purchase a private service from a private company. Don't blame the GOP.

We know the Dems want to control every aspect of the states. The Dems want a powerful federal government. Who is disputing this? I'm asking why the Republicans want to give so much power to the federal government? I'm asking why there is so little protest internally when the GOP expands the power of the federal government. My point is this: we can see Obama coming. We know he intends to expand Federal power over the states. He never said any different. Problem is: we always seem to let our guard down with Republican presidents. The small government crowd is nowhere in sight when Bush is the one expanding medicare. This is how Reagan got away with spending twice as much as Carter, as well as vastly expanding the federal workforce. Same with Bush 41 compared to Clinton. We need your side of the aisle to do something it hasn't done before: control your own party's spending and expansion of government. We're happy that you've kept Obama in check, but we can't afford for you to get astro-turfed back to sleep when dear leader comes back in 2012.

Last edited:
I'm asking why there is so little protest internally when the GOP expands the power of the federal government.

The same reason there is so little protest internally when Democrats funnel taxpayer money to corporations, or fuel the war machine. Each side uses fear to keep us distracted. And we fall for it.

We know the Dems want to control every aspect of the states. The Dems want a powerful federal government. Who is disputing this? I'm asking why the Republicans want to give so much power to the federal government? I'm asking why there is so little protest internally when the GOP expands the power of the federal government. My point is this: we can see Obama coming. We know he intends to expand Federal power over the states. He never said any different. Problem is: we always seem to let our guard down with Republican presidents. The small government crowd is nowhere in sight when Bush is the one expanding medicare. This is how Reagan got away with spending twice as much as Carter, as well as vastly expanding the federal workforce. Same with Bush 41 compared to Clinton. We need your side of the aisle to do something it hasn't done before: control your own party's spending and expansion of government. We're happy that you've kept Obama in check, but we can't afford for you to get astro-turfed back to sleep when dear leader comes back in 2012.

WE are trying. It's called the Tea Party. It's why the GOP is split in half right now. We're trying to do exactly that. But.....the Democrats and the media mock and criticize the Tea Party. It's hard to do when you have a population full of mushy moronic brains that are fed their info by the left wingers in the media and guys like Jon Stewart and Hollywood morons.

Yes, but why make candidates sign a marriage vow, to be imposed at the federal level?
THE MARRIAGE VOW document

Why not give states like California and New York the power to shape their moral destiny? - as we currently have!!

I frankly don't care what the individual states decide regarding marriage (I personally don't care who gets married officially because I don't place sacred value in a government contract - and I'm not worried that my kids will be wrongly influenced because I'm not going to raise them to be victims or reflexes of their environment). Regardless, I don't understand why there is such a strong push on the right to put Big Brother in charge of so much moral and religious content. Get Big Brother out of the way!

I don't want a Big Moral Federal Government. I don't want a Federal Bureaucrat telling me what is sacred and what is healthy for my own body. [When I vote for a Republican, I vote for them in instances where they are protecting individual freedoms that I treasure - which is why I have voted for "libertarian" Republicans at the state level]

Again: let the states decide marriage and drug laws!! This way individuals will have the freedom to move to a place that suits them. Why does the Right always want such powerful, one-size-fits-all, federally imposed solutions? Or, better yet, why do they claim otherwise? That is the real question.

Last edited:
Yes, but why make candidates sign a marriage vow, to be imposed at the federal level?
THE MARRIAGE VOW document

Why not give states like California and New York the power to shape their moral destiny? - as we currently have!!

I frankly don't care what the individual states decide regarding marriage (I personally don't care who gets married officially because I don't place sacred value in a government contract). I don't understand why there is such a strong push on the right to put Big Brother in charge of so much moral and religious content. Get Big Brother out of the way!

I don't want a Big Moral Federal Government. I don't want a Federal Bureaucrat telling me what is sacred. Let the states decide.

Duh, because fag marriage is gross!!!! Hope my state lets us vote on it, I'm voting HELL NO!!!!

I don't want a Big Moral Federal Government. I don't want a Federal Bureaucrat telling me what is sacred. Let the states decide.

Hmm.. well, I don't what that states telling me what is sacred either. Let the individual decide.

In any case, I think I hear what you're saying. But, do you want a Big Moral Government telling you how to pay for your healthcare? Or telling you how to take care of the poor? Or taking care of you in retirement?

The problem is, we can't pick and choose what things ubiquitous government does. Once we create it, it finds a way to keep itself 'busy'.

It's like cancer. If we let ourselves get it, we don't get to pick and choose where or what type. We just got it.

WE are trying. It's called the Tea Party. It's why the GOP is split in half right now. We're trying to do exactly that. But.....the Democrats and the media mock and criticize the Tea Party. It's hard to do when you have a population full of mushy moronic brains that are fed their info by the left wingers in the media and guys like Jon Stewart and Hollywood morons.

At least Jon Stewart is funny, not like those idiots that you on the right listen to.

I honestly wish this gay marriage issue would go the hell away.

Talk about a debate that is about absolutely nothing.

Hey, here's an idea, if you don't like gay marriage - DON'T HAVE ONE!

That should be simple enough.

I don't want a Big Moral Federal Government. I don't want a Federal Bureaucrat telling me what is sacred and what is healthy for my own body. [When I vote for a Republican, I vote for them in instances where they are protecting individual freedoms that I treasure - which is why I have voted for "libertarian" Republicans at the state level]

Again: let the states decide marriage and drug laws!! This way individuals will have the freedom to move to a place that suits them. Why does the Right always want such powerful, one-size-fits-all, federally imposed solutions? Or, better yet, why do they claim otherwise? That is the real question.

The KKKristians obsessing about our 'One nation under God' trumps any libertarianism here Londoner

Forum List

Back