Why Not Feel Sorry for BP?

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
It was 21 years ago that the Exxon-Valdez leaked oil and unleashed torrents of environmental hysteria. Rothbard got it right in his piece "Why Not Feel Sorry for Exxon?"

After the BP-hired oil rig exploded last week, the environmentalists went nuts yet again, using the occasion to flail a private corporation and wail about the plight of the "ecosystem," which somehow managed to survive and thrive after the Exxon debacle.

Why Not Feel Sorry for BP? by Llewellyn H. Rockwell, Jr.

That article actually makes some really good points. BP are one of the most ethical petro companies on the planet. That's not to say they are perfect but demonizing them is ridiculous. BP plow huge amounts of money into researching renewable energies - they employ 29,000 people in the US alone. If they go under because of this, not only do we have 29,000 more unemployed but the impact on research for renewables will be huge. It could set us back decades in the effort to cut carbon emissions and replace oil.

There are really important issues that are being ignored by the hysteria from the whiners about BP... From their hysterical rants, one can clearly see that they have absolutely no idea how important BP are, not just in the US but globally. In their enthusiasm for 'blame' they don't consider the bigger picture, they have absolutely no idea about BP - other than they are an oil producer. Fucking morons.

If it wasn't for oil producers drilling wells, we would all be on horseback.

Deep-sea drilling is one of the most dangerous and expensive types of engineering we perform (just shy of aerospace engineering). When any such construct takes damage, for whatever reason, it hurts the world economy.

Deep-sea drilling is one of the most dangerous and expensive types of engineering we perform (just shy of aerospace engineering). When any such construct takes damage, for whatever reason, it hurts the world economy.

It's not just about our cars. Parts of the country would starve, because they can't produce enough food and need to transport it in. We'd all be making our own clothes.... cus we wouldn't be able to run the factories that make them.... here or abroad.... And even if they could be manufactured, we couldn't move stuff around the country.

Basically, we'd go back a century. One has to wonder 'is that the "progress" that the left really support?'

It's laughable.

Judging from the sounds that eminate from the HOMO cage I believe there are those that enjoy a powerful muscular animal between thier legs. If we asked for a show of hands I'm sure Krusty Frank and Continuous Lisp would confirm. Anybody else?

Not to mention all the oil-based products we consume...

Plastics.
Dyes.
Nylon.
Cosmetics.

...just to name a few.

Judging from the sounds that eminate from the HOMO cage I believe there are those that enjoy a powerful muscular animal between thier legs. If we asked for a show of hands I'm sure Krusty Frank and Continuous Lisp would confirm. Anybody else?

(Huggy, this isn't the flame zone. Try using your brain.)

(Huggy, this isn't the flame zone. Try using your brain.)

He's got nothing.

Plastics.
Dyes.
Nylon.
Cosmetics.

...just to name a few.

Yea, that's what I mean. Without the petro industy, we step back a century. Which is kind of funny since the supporters of ditching petro products are the 'progressives'. I wonder if they see the sheer stupidity of their stance?

Plastics.
Dyes.
Nylon.
Cosmetics.

...just to name a few.

Yea, that's what I mean. Without the petro industy, we step back a century. Which is kind of funny since the supporters of ditching petro products are the 'progressives'. I wonder if they see the sheer stupidity of their stance?
The rational solution is to develop alternative fuels, be it hydrogen, natural gas, electric, or liquid coal for our transportation needs, and use our remaining oil stocks for polymer synthesis.

The vast majority of our oil is used as fuel...if we only used it to make plastic, for instance, I am certain our reserves will last for a few more generations, at least.

Plastics.
Dyes.
Nylon.
Cosmetics.

...just to name a few.

The rational solution is to develop alternative fuels, be it hydrogen, natural gas, electric, or liquid coal for our transportation needs, and use our remaining oil stocks for polymer synthesis.

The vast majority of our oil is used as fuel...if we only used it to make plastic, for instance, I am certain our reserves will last for a few more generations, at least.

Yea, but who pays for the development? Because if BP goes bankrupt because of this, that's a HUGE chunk of funding that needs to come from somewhere else.

Yea, but who pays for the development? Because if BP goes bankrupt because of this, that's a HUGE chunk of funding that needs to come from somewhere else.
That all depends on the current state of the petroleum industry.

If another American or European company is in position to buy up BPs assets and turn it around, they could be the source. If the Chinese or Russian national oil agencies buy up BPs assets, though, we won't be seeing the benefits of any oil income.

In fact, I'd bet money that, in the event of BP bankrupcy, China will make a grab for BPs assets. They need oil desperately.

That all depends on the current state of the petroleum industry.

If another American or European company is in position to buy up BPs assets and turn it around, they could be the source. If the Chinese or Russian national oil agencies buy up BPs assets, though, we won't be seeing the benefits of any oil income.

In fact, I'd bet money that, in the event of BP bankrupcy, China will make a grab for BPs assets. They need oil desperately.

Yea, I could see that happening. Do we really think the Chinese or Russians are gonna plow billions into renewables in the US? I somehow doubt it.

Personally, I'd prefer to see BP stay afloat. Unlike the loony left, I can see a bigger picture here that is not good for the US.

Tis the problem with our entire political class...they cannot see beyond their own noses.

It was 21 years ago that the Exxon-Valdez leaked oil and unleashed torrents of environmental hysteria. Rothbard got it right in his piece "Why Not Feel Sorry for Exxon?"

After the BP-hired oil rig exploded last week, the environmentalists went nuts yet again, using the occasion to flail a private corporation and wail about the plight of the "ecosystem," which somehow managed to survive and thrive after the Exxon debacle.
I do feel sorry for them. It's a shame you have to go and demonize people that are concerned about the environment, though.

From Lew Rockwell's article: "It should be obvious that BP is by far the leading victim, but I've yet to see a single expression of sadness for the company and its losses."

Victim? BP and big oil has fought and lobbied for years against rules and safety procedures that would have prevented this blowout. BP has a dismal safety record, now THEY are the victims?

Reports Show BP Opposed New Safety Rules - WSJ.com
BP leads the nation in refinery deaths - Houston Chronicle

Ironic, this weekend Don Blankenship, Massey Energy CEO, where last month 29 miners perished in a deadly blast at the Upper Big Branch Mine in West Virginia NOW claims HE is the victim of 'evil people'

Massey chief calls critics evil - Charleston Daily Mail

These type of catastrophes clearly shine a light on who or 'what' right wingers are. They put property and money WAY before people or any living, breathing creature on this planet and their 'personal responsibility' mantra only applies to 'others', usually the ones that actually DIE.

The right...'VICTIMS'...

Kevin, I misjudged you. It thought you had some ethics and human decency, I was wrong. You join the ranks of right wing extremists...the PEA brains

Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe.
Edmund Burke

I do feel sorry for them. It's a shame you have to go and demonize people that are concerned about the environment, though.

It is the article's author that criticizes environmentalists, Ravi, not any poster. 'You' is not any of us. It is the author. It's a common thing on USMB. Someone links to an article and that poster is questioned like they wrote the piece they reference. That's kind of dumb.

Fact is, the impact of BP's demise would be very, very bad, not just for the shareholders, but for the environment, and in general. They are not a bad company. That's the 'inconvenient truth'.

It's not just about our cars. Parts of the country would starve, because they can't produce enough food and need to transport it in. We'd all be making our own clothes.... cus we wouldn't be able to run the factories that make them.... here or abroad.... And even if they could be manufactured, we couldn't move stuff around the country.

Basically, we'd go back a century. One has to wonder 'is that the "progress" that the left really support?'

It's laughable.

SO...BP is too big to fail?

"We'd all be making our own clothes"...your pea brain premises are truly laughable... if BP fails it will shut down sweat shops in Asia and India?

I'm glad to see you seek out the 'Union label' on garments. At least you support unions...even if it IS unwittingly...

Why Not Feel Sorry for BP?
I laughed till I cried.. Rockwell's piece was pathetic. BP is in the proccess of being FIRED for doing a lousy job. There are many companies or pieces of what BP dos waiting in the wings to gobble up a market that BP has failed to steer competantly.. This pining over 29,000 jobs is rediculous. Those jobs will still be there for the taking after BP is shut down. The "Jobs" lost will be BP management. Sorry Rockwell. When the captain runs the ship aground...The captain is given his walking papers and the crew just signs on with another ship.

It's laughable.

SO...BP is too big to fail?

"We'd all be making our own clothes"...your pea brain premises are truly laughable... if BP fails it will shut down sweat shops in Asia and India?

I'm glad to see you seek out the 'Union label' on garments. At least you support unions...even if it IS unwittingly...

Petro by products are used in a huge number of industries, including clothing. And, even if India and Asia could produce the clothes.... how do we transport them? The Star Ship Enterprise? Without transport - everyone eats what can be produced locally. Everyone wears what can be produced locally. Empty malls and and millions out of work.

Forum List

Back