Why not cut military spending?

[

Because we are at war, cutting Military spending while at war is insane.

We killed bin Laden. Afganistan will continue to be a politically unstable mass of rock whether we leave tomorrow or five years from now. End the war, and we trim a significant chunck of budget fat.

I do think we should leave Afghanistan but I don't want any cuts happening until we do just that and sort out this whole Iran business. Whenever the US makes Military cuts tin pot dictators pop bottles and start making plans.
Fair enough.

But we can leave Germany, Japan, Italy, England, Korea, the Balkans....

This question is aimed more towards Republicans, as they're usually the ones crying about the multi-trillion dollar deficit, wasteful federal spending, etc.

I can not think of a bigger waste of taxpayer money then our current "defense" budget, yet the threat of significant cuts to the military magically turns GOP establishment from fiscal hawks to war hawks, warning that any reduction to military spending will jeopardize our national security. #2 ranked China has quadruple our population, yet can manage to defend themselves at a fraction of what the United States spends. At the very least, this screams of inefficiency (perhaps someone can tell the lobbyists from Boeing and Lockheed Martin to F off and reduce the bloated government contracts they get?).

Seriously, someone justify why military cuts should NOT be made?

How about cutting so many entitlements. Yeah lets just slash the military so anyone could attack us. You are a complete moron

You and several other posters in this thread prove my point better than I can.
Thanks

Why not cut the military budget?
Becuase the right is primarrially fear driven.
Cut the military budget and the Islamofascists will get us!

waaah!
No less so than lolberals, who depicted Paul Ryan shoving granny over a cliff.

Fear driven indeed.

Yes but it is a central plank of the ongoing republican platform.
Gonna take our guns away.
The Bush doctrine attack them becuase they might attack us.
Gays gonna ruin our children!
and on and on.
Oh, stop it...It's a central plank of both parties and you know it.

"War on wimmin"...."War on seniors"..."War on edumacation"...Same crap, only the party labels are changed.

We killed bin Laden. Afganistan will continue to be a politically unstable mass of rock whether we leave tomorrow or five years from now. End the war, and we trim a significant chunck of budget fat.

I do think we should leave Afghanistan but I don't want any cuts happening until we do just that and sort out this whole Iran business. Whenever the US makes Military cuts tin pot dictators pop bottles and start making plans.
Fair enough.

The bases in Germany we need to take troops to and from Afghanistan, our biggest medical hospital for injured troops outside the US is in Germany Landstuhl I believe. As far as Korea and Japan those cant close realistically until the North Korean thing is sorted out.

Perhaps you are unaware that military was gutted in the 90's. :eusa_whistle:

Gutted?

What, from $600 billion all the way down to $500 billion?

The GOP shitheads seem to think we need to destroy medicare, medicaid, and food stamps, but military? More please!

discretionary_spending_fy2011.png

Nice try dumbass. Your pie chart is of "discretionary spending" only, and none of the "mandatory spending" that makes up the bulk of what the US spends every year.

For example 2010 the DoD took 18% of the total budget:
Fy2010_spending_by_category.jpg

2010 United States federal budget - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fear driven indeed.

and on and on.

"War on wimmin"...."War on seniors"..."War on edumacation"...Same crap, only the party labels are changed.

We do love us some wars.

So says a moron that sports a Japanese cartoon picture.

Stick to your cartoons, idiot.

Oh, DoD spending in the economy accounts for millions of jobs.....but of course you idiots love cutting jobs in the middle of a recession and putting those people in the welfare line.

This question is aimed more towards Republicans, as they're usually the ones crying about the multi-trillion dollar deficit, wasteful federal spending, etc.

I can not think of a bigger waste of taxpayer money then our current "defense" budget, yet the threat of significant cuts to the military magically turns GOP establishment from fiscal hawks to war hawks, warning that any reduction to military spending will jeopardize our national security. #2 ranked China has quadruple our population, yet can manage to defend themselves at a fraction of what the United States spends. At the very least, this screams of inefficiency (perhaps someone can tell the lobbyists from Boeing and Lockheed Martin to F off and reduce the bloated government contracts they get?).

Fair enough.

The bases in Germany we need to take troops to and from Afghanistan, our biggest medical hospital for injured troops outside the US is in Germany Landstuhl I believe. As far as Korea and Japan those cant close realistically until the North Korean thing is sorted out.

There is no way we should leave Germany. We need those bases to support any current and future operations in the ME, Europe, Africa....

Fair enough.

You do realize that there one whole hell of a lot more military bases in Germany than that hospital, don't you?

The "Korean thing" is no less self-sorting than was the Iron Curtain...The NorKs can't even feed their troops, let alone be able to supply them in any kind of legitimate military threat to the south.

Time to quit making cheap excuses like a bunch of whiny lolberals.

Try $250 billion.

Wow are you misinformed, no wonder you're a brainwashed right winger.

2012's military spending budget was for over 700 billion.

And if we had ourselves a "proper" president, we could easily have that number up to a nice even trillion.

Got that right. Willard and the GOP trash would slobber all over themselves to see a 1 trillion dollar military budget,...to start.

Fear driven indeed.

and on and on.

Yes some on the left use it too.
However it is a central staple in the rights diet.
You just cannot see it for the fearmongers all around you.

Oh, DoD spending in the economy accounts for millions of jobs.....but of course you idiots love cutting jobs in the middle of a recession and putting those people in the welfare line.

Thats what gets me about all these liberals that want to cut DoD spending. Its the only spending the government does that actually supports jobs. All of that welfare spending just creates more lazy ass unemployed who sit at home collecting a paycheck.

The US Constitution spells out the need to maintain a Navy and Army, yet liberals want to steal money from the DoD to pay for things not mentioned in the US Constitution like welfare, Obamcare, green energy scams, etc.

The Federal Govt is required by law to protect the "states" with a national defense. Using the DoD as a piggy bank to pay for political kickbacks to liberal campaign supporters is not only criminal but dangerous.

When the US miitary is weakened then our enemies get more bold and possibly cause major wars. There's a reason why Germany rose to power twice when the US military nothing but a sideshow on the planet. A strong US military has kept Russia and China in their place for decades....but only idiots want to give them a chance to kill millions via some war.

Thats what gets me about all these liberals that want to cut DoD spending. Its the only spending the government does that actually supports jobs. All of that welfare spending just creates more lazy ass unemployed who sit at home collecting a paycheck.

Umm they buy things with theat Welfare money, SS money, Unemployment, And the medical industry gets all the medicare/medicaid spending.
That creates jobs as well.

Forum List

Back