Why not a federal sales tax?

Why do some propose a new tax rather than demanding the government to live within its means?

Already, my single largest expense is federal tax. Why should I give them more to squander?

Why do some propose a new tax rather than demanding the government to live within its means?

Already, my single largest expense is federal tax. Why should I give them more to squander?

You know Alan?

That has to be one of the biggest questions that vexxes us and WHY we are here questioning the same government.

And consequently what TEA [in TEA Party ] means for those that don't know it already...Taxed Enough Already...

Sales taxes are wonderful for those who support a regressive tax system where low income earners pay the biggest percentage of their income in taxes and the wealthiest pay the lowest. This is why the rich pay the smallest percentage of taxes at the state level and the lowest income earners pay the highest percentage. I know, I know, it's the poor that are the cause of our economic problems, so let's make them pay their fair share.

The alleged regression of a sales tax is nothing more than a Marxist myth.

I am not talking about a huge sales tax, just 1 or 2 percent.

I know, people hate taxes, but whether or not you want a well oiled war machine, or you want to make sure the poor are fed you have to make money to do so. Just the operations of our government has increased to such an extent that a sales or commerce tax would really help us pay the bills.

Good things:

This would be a fair tax. Everyone pays it. If you consume more, then you pay more. If you are frugal then you pay less. Wasteful people who purchase expensive name brands or purchase things like wasteful expensive vehicles would pay more into this tax to clean up their messes. those who are poor and cannot purchase as much would not be burdened with a huge tax, but their massive combined consumption would have them paying a big chunk.

This would also tax foreign goods sold in US markets. let us face it we are the market for many industries. There are many businesses that make a lot of money off of being able to sell in the US. There is also internet sales which are not being tapped yet. This sort of tax would see revenue from both of these groups who are not contributing to their fullest.

You can protect manufacturing and resellers the same way states do, and that is by tax exempt status on good that are to be resold or made into a final product. Or you could also allow them to see a discount on bulk purchases. In other words normal consumers would pay 2 percent for each of product X they purchase, but by bundling product X into a palate and selling the palate as a single unit at a discount your would lower the taxes paid by reseller businesses. There are a number of options you could use to offset the cost of doing business, while still seeing revenue from commerce.

The system is already in place as we already have methods for sales tax. This system is a lot easier than the present taxation system the federal government has and would not involve increasing the burden of paperwork on the populace as the tax is calculated per transaction, and is paid on the spot.

Collecting sales tax means a legitimate sales tax ID number, and that means filings with the government and accountability. You immediately have a new system of tracking for fraudulent sellers, and put another road block in the way of scammers because you need an entity legitimately responsible for paying the tax.

I know tax is a four letter word of evil, but in reality taxes are what allows our government to function and do the things we want it to do. yes, it also allows it to do some of the things we bitch about too. For every social welfare program there are corporate welfare programs and military programs. No matter what party you support they need taxes to function. The US is in financial trouble right now, and it is due to the fact we have our government doing a lot of things, yet we feel we should not pay for it. The reality is we need to pay for our social programs, the military, education, infrastructure, the legal system, jails, and a whole lot more. This tax would be huge, and it would come from all areas of the nation and abroad for the use of this nation.

So long as EVERYONE paid the SAME sales tax i would not oppose it. And when i say everyone i mean ZERO exemptions, no putting the tax on some items and not others.

Flat tax for all. :thup:

I know, people hate taxes, but whether or not you want a well oiled war machine, or you want to make sure the poor are fed you have to make money to do so. Just the operations of our government has increased to such an extent that a sales or commerce tax would really help us pay the bills.

Good things:

This would be a fair tax. Everyone pays it. If you consume more, then you pay more. If you are frugal then you pay less. Wasteful people who purchase expensive name brands or purchase things like wasteful expensive vehicles would pay more into this tax to clean up their messes. those who are poor and cannot purchase as much would not be burdened with a huge tax, but their massive combined consumption would have them paying a big chunk.

This would also tax foreign goods sold in US markets. let us face it we are the market for many industries. There are many businesses that make a lot of money off of being able to sell in the US. There is also internet sales which are not being tapped yet. This sort of tax would see revenue from both of these groups who are not contributing to their fullest.

You can protect manufacturing and resellers the same way states do, and that is by tax exempt status on good that are to be resold or made into a final product. Or you could also allow them to see a discount on bulk purchases. In other words normal consumers would pay 2 percent for each of product X they purchase, but by bundling product X into a palate and selling the palate as a single unit at a discount your would lower the taxes paid by reseller businesses. There are a number of options you could use to offset the cost of doing business, while still seeing revenue from commerce.

The system is already in place as we already have methods for sales tax. This system is a lot easier than the present taxation system the federal government has and would not involve increasing the burden of paperwork on the populace as the tax is calculated per transaction, and is paid on the spot.

Collecting sales tax means a legitimate sales tax ID number, and that means filings with the government and accountability. You immediately have a new system of tracking for fraudulent sellers, and put another road block in the way of scammers because you need an entity legitimately responsible for paying the tax.

I know tax is a four letter word of evil, but in reality taxes are what allows our government to function and do the things we want it to do. yes, it also allows it to do some of the things we bitch about too. For every social welfare program there are corporate welfare programs and military programs. No matter what party you support they need taxes to function. The US is in financial trouble right now, and it is due to the fact we have our government doing a lot of things, yet we feel we should not pay for it. The reality is we need to pay for our social programs, the military, education, infrastructure, the legal system, jails, and a whole lot more. This tax would be huge, and it would come from all areas of the nation and abroad for the use of this nation.

So long as EVERYONE paid the SAME sales tax i would not oppose it. And when i say everyone i mean ZERO exemptions, no putting the tax on some items and not others.

Flat tax for all. :thup:

Flat or FAIRTax..I don't care...as long as the 16th is obliterated.

Everyone gets to pay the same absolute amount, but not the same in proportion to their disposable income.
That doesn't happen now.

Regressive.
??? Because it's regressive doesn't mean it's a good or a bad thing.

Not fair.
Not fair? What's not fair about it?

Serves the rich.
That's assuming your first assertion that everyone pays the same percentage of their disposable income NOW...

No it won't serve the rich... It doesn't serve the rich. In fact it would serve the poor as the majority of the money made would be directly from the poor.

Fuck me I can't believe have to explain this.

You have an entity (the US government) that can only function by receiving funds come from is obviously where the government is going to "regulate" and try to help stay in a positive income. What is it? The top 10% of the earners in the country pay 70% of the taxes? The top 1% pay like 37%...

So damn near 40% of what the government takes in come from the 1%. You don't think that they don't have sway over everything that makes that government tick? You don't think the government won't bend over backwards and do some shady shit given that's really the hand that feeds it?

Make absolutely no mistake... This is me asking you if you are stupid. Ignorant is fine... That can be remedied. There is no fixing stupid if you already knew all of this.

Will probably be implemented soon.
There isn't a chance in hell it would be implemented. It removes governments need of the people who make money off of it.

Seriously... Think about this. How much would the bottom 99% fuck that... Lets say the bottom 50% of the people lose per person to take that power away from them? How much per person would it take to remove that power from the 1% elite and corporations?

Last edited:

Good things:

Because, in short order it will be 5%, then 8%, then 10%.... Those fucks in DC never have enough.

Fuck that.

Everyone gets to pay the same absolute amount, but not the same in proportion to their disposable income.
Regressive.
Not fair.
Serves the rich.
Will probably be implemented soon.

See the point of getting rich is to have more money, that's why we want raises and not decreases in our salary.
The main thing is everyone pays according to what they buy. You buy a cheap car you pay lower taxes than a guy who buys an expensive car, sounds progressive to me, b ut you have control over what you pay in taxes and if you dont buy stuff, you dont pay taxes, it encourages people to save......OMG what a concept!!!!!!!

Because, in short order it will be 5%, then 8%, then 10%.... Those fucks in DC never have enough.

Fuck that.
There should be a fuck'n law in place that says the Federal government can't spend more than it takes in.

And if you are absolutely dead set on giving Israel money... They can have what little we don't spend on ourselves, the citizens of the US.

Forum List

Back