Why No Women NFL Refs or Coaches?

Why aren't there any women refs in the pros like NFL, NBA or whatever? You can't say because it is too physically demanding. Lots of old geezer refs. Why not? As for getting hit, an in shape woman isn't going to be harmed any more than these old duffer refs. And, why no coaches? We see plenty of male coaches in women's sports. Basketball is a big sport for women and yet we haven't seen any breakthroughs in that.

Are you joking?

Why aren't there any women refs in the pros like NFL, NBA or whatever? You can't say because it is too physically demanding. Lots of old geezer refs. Why not? As for getting hit, an in shape woman isn't going to be harmed any more than these old duffer refs. And, why no coaches? We see plenty of male coaches in women's sports. Basketball is a big sport for women and yet we haven't seen any breakthroughs in that.

Are you joking?

No. I am asking a serious question. Why can't women ref or coach pro sports? Is that soooo far beyond the pale that you can't even put that into your imagination? I played basketball throughout HS, broke HS records and had a basketball scholarship in college. I am personally not interested in coaching or reffing but doesn't mean there aren't women who are.

You say you played basketball competetively, but you need the difference between men's and women's ball explained to you? Really? And bear in mind that basketball is much less a contact sport than many others.

//http://www.google.com/imgres?q=rachel+maddow+bull+dyke&um=1&hl=en&biw=1024&bih=607&tbm=isch&tbnid=wnTYdpks-qV4iM:&imgrefurl=http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/2008/09/msnbcs_rachel_m.html&docid=h81oH9XJOYoCkM&imgurl=http://www.moonbattery.com/rachel-maddow.jpg&w=264&h=398&ei=3_ceT4jzE-Hg2AWC4bmyDw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=94&sig=111183559788914247153&page=2&tbnh=138&tbnw=100&start=21&ndsp=23&ved=1t:429,r:18,s:21&tx=81&ty=82

i don't know you, but i guess this was your best post so far on this board.

You say you played basketball competetively, but you need the difference between men's and women's ball explained to you? Really? And bear in mind that basketball is much less a contact sport than many others.

So, you are saying Women cannot and are not capable of coaching or reffing any men's sports?

Actually, basketball is a contact sport. You just have to know how to properly use the contact.

Are you joking?

No. I am asking a serious question. Why can't women ref or coach pro sports? Is that soooo far beyond the pale that you can't even put that into your imagination? I played basketball throughout HS, broke HS records and had a basketball scholarship in college. I am personally not interested in coaching or reffing but doesn't mean there aren't women who are.

p1_violetpalmer.jpg

So, you are saying Women cannot and are not capable of coaching or reffing any men's sports?

You didn't address my question.

With regard to refereeing in the NFL - the bottom line is, you really have to love the game, because those guys don't make much. NFL refs are paid around $1,000/game, maybe $20,000 a year. Not much, considering all the years of effort (and expense), that it took to get there.

With regard to refereeing in the NFL - the bottom line is, you really have to love the game, because those guys don't make much. NFL refs are paid around $1,000/game, maybe $20,000 a year. Not much, considering all the years of effort (and expense), that it took to get there.

Actually, from what I've been able to glean from a quick search, NFL refs make between $25,000 and $70,000 a year. Add in the fact there are only 16 games (compared to from 82 to 162 for the other 3 major sports) and NFL refs work part time, and it's really not as little as it sounds.

Now, if they were to work full time, or if they don't get some of the benefits other refs receive, I could see making an argument they are underpaid. But if they have travel paid for, if they get money for expenses, if they get medical/dental, retirement plan, etc...starting at $25,000 for 16 days of actual work a year isn't so bad. :lol:

Forum List

Back