Why no soccer?

akiboy

Mar 28, 2006
Mumbai
Why is it always NFL , NBA and Baseball in the Sports forum. WHy dosen't anyone post about soccer ? I mean soccer is the most popular game on this planet. I have absolutely nothing against NFL , NBA or Baseball but why not soccer??

AKshay

Soccer is a great sport. My family is involved in it, and I love watching games. Back during the World Cup, there was a thread about soccer. I guess it just isn't AS popular as other sports with the people here, unfortunately. :(

Why don't YOU start some threads? I'm sure my husband would participate in them. He's a soccer NUT! :)

Why is it always NFL , NBA and Baseball in the Sports forum. WHy dosen't anyone post about soccer ? I mean soccer is the most popular game on this planet. I have absolutely nothing against NFL , NBA or Baseball but why not soccer??

AKshay

Soccer is way down on the list of popular American sports:
1. Football (college and professional)
2. Baseball
3. Basketball (college and professional)
4. Hockey
5. Golf
6. Tennis
7. Soccer

That is basing it on TV ratings. I really do not consider NASCAR a sport, but it has a dedicated following that puts it second or third depending on what you read.

Professional soccer is rarely ever on national tv, no MLS players are household names, and basically, it gets little attention outside of the world cup. Soccer in the U.S. is what kids play during the fall if their moms do not allow them to play football, or if their town does not have fall league baseball (baseball is traditionally played in the spring...some towns have spring and fall leagues).

To put it into perspective: The Yankees payroll is over $200 million, and they still turn a profit. Professional soccer leagues have struggled to stay afloat with salary caps of 1.9 million. 200,000,000 vs. 1,900,000. Football/Baseball own America.

---I should add that the dedicated soccer fans in America tend to follow the European leagues, not MLS...which also ultimately hinders the growth of soccer in America.

Soccer is a great sport. My family is involved in it, and I love watching games. Back during the World Cup, there was a thread about soccer. I guess it just isn't AS popular as other sports with the people here, unfortunately. :(

Why don't YOU start some threads? I'm sure my husband would participate in them. He's a soccer NUT! :)

Atleast one person here who likes soccer!! Don't worry ...I will start a thread on soccer as soon as I get a juicy topic. And I shall try to update people about the Champions League (That is IF any one cares to read it)

Akshay

Because as proven by the 'World Cup' games, professional soccer is a sissy sport. I played soccer as a kid and I was pretty appauled by the theatrics these professionals put on. If they rolled over and grabbed their foot after a perfectly good tackle the red card would come out for the other team. Once that happens it doesn't take much skill to beat a team when you outnumber them on the field.

Fricking Italian playactors!

Most Americans don't watch soccer because they think American Football is far more exciting.

i coach, play and referee.....best sport in the world.....

great match by rooney sunday.......watching man city and boro on the moment

joey barton is having a blinder as usual

Soccer is way down on the list of popular American sports:
1. Football (college and professional)
2. Baseball
3. Basketball (college and professional)
4. Hockey
5. Golf
6. Tennis
7. Soccer

That is basing it on TV ratings. I really do not consider NASCAR a sport, but it has a dedicated following that puts it second or third depending on what you read.

Professional soccer is rarely ever on national tv, no MLS players are household names, and basically, it gets little attention outside of the world cup. Soccer in the U.S. is what kids play during the fall if their moms do not allow them to play football, or if their town does not have fall league baseball (baseball is traditionally played in the spring...some towns have spring and fall leagues).

To put it into perspective: The Yankees payroll is over $200 million, and they still turn a profit. Professional soccer leagues have struggled to stay afloat with salary caps of 1.9 million. 200,000,000 vs. 1,900,000. Football/Baseball own America.

---I should add that the dedicated soccer fans in America tend to follow the European leagues, not MLS...which also ultimately hinders the growth of soccer in America.

americans have no taste when it comes to sports.....

football: 22 guys crashing into each other

baseball: watching the grass grow

basketball: pituitary cases jaming an orange into a basket

all are idiotic

tennis and golf are a rich man's sport....sort of a sport anyway

ice skating ... you forgot ice skating....americans go nuts for bitchy girls in short skirts and bad haircuts....

americans have no taste when it comes to sports.....

football: 22 guys crashing into each other

baseball: watching the grass grow

basketball: pituitary cases jaming an orange into a basket

all are idiotic

tennis and golf are a rich man's sport....sort of a sport anyway

ice skating ... you forgot ice skating....americans go nuts for bitchy girls in short skirts and bad haircuts....

:clap:

And soccer sucks. Bottomline.

American Football is the greatest sport in the world. Its a real man's sport. Soccer is a bunch of babies waiting to see who can pretend to be hurt the most in order to get an advantage for their team. In football if your hurt, your team loses a Timeout. You get penalized for being hurt and not getting off the field.

Only other sports that can be considered on par with American Football would be Australian Football and Rugby. Soccer? The world can have it.

I like soccer. It's fun to play and it's fun to watch, but it just doesn't have the...epic manliness...of a really good football game. Then, there's the fact that soccer is just bad news. After a football game, you might see a couple of places get mildly vandalized if the losing team has really crappy fans. After a soccer game, it's common to see riots break out. Soccer makes people crazy. I even have a friend in prison who told me about when the aryan and the black gangs actually allied to stop the hispanic gangs from taking the soccer field by force and charging stamps to use it.

Then, yeah, there's the Euroweenies pretending to be hurt so they can win a soccer game when we've got football players playing with pulled muscles and twisted joints so they can win a game.

American Football is the greatest sport in the world. Its a real man's sport. Soccer is a bunch of babies waiting to see who can pretend to be hurt the most in order to get an advantage for their team. In football if your hurt, your team loses a Timeout. You get penalized for being hurt and not getting off the field.

Only other sports that can be considered on par with American Football would be Australian Football and Rugby. Soccer? The world can have it.

TO now there is a classy manly guy......

I HATE watching professional football and baseball is even worse!!!!!! I'm thankful everyday that my husband isn't a sports nut.

A good highschool football game is ok, at least interresting.

I thought the world cup was fun to watch especially towards the end when the men were tired and started messing up, that was usually when the goals were made also. I was watching the France-Italy game when Zidane lost it.

Tall, sweaty muscular men running around a field, taking their shirts off on the sideline, what's not to like???:D

AKshay

Soccer is what the girls played in PE while the boys played football.

Soccer is what the girls played in PE while the boys played football.

Excuse me mate...Soccer is the most popular sport in the world and the most watched too. Plus its also the most lucrative. Players in European Leagues get payed more then twice what NFL players get! Soccer is also the ultimate man's game. Just because you see some bad players crying and acting like sissy doesnt mean that the whole sport is for sissys. Soccer has given the world some of the greatest and beautiful sportsmen. Pele , George Best , Platini , Ronaldinho , Garrincha , Puskas ....I could go on and on.

And NFL also has its fair share of violence and shoving and pushing. infact its more violent then Soccer! Baseball is fast I agree. But sometimes the players just have stand and wait for a catch. Basketball is kind of monotonous.People trying to throw a ball in a basket.Its much better watching NBA on T.V. Golf is for the richies. Golf clubs and equipment are very expensive (even second hands). And you cant play golf everywhere unlike soccer. Thats why Soccer is a universal game. You can play it on the streets , in the park , in the beach in your backyard in the stadium in the ground you name it!

Soccer rocks!

Akshay

Excuse me mate...Soccer is the most popular sport in the world and the most watched too. Plus its also the most lucrative. Players in European Leagues get payed more then twice what NFL players get! Soccer is also the ultimate man's game. Just because you see some bad players crying and acting like sissy doesnt mean that the whole sport is for sissys. Soccer has given the world some of the greatest and beautiful sportsmen. Pele , George Best , Platini , Ronaldinho , Garrincha , Puskas ....I could go on and on.

And NFL also has its fair share of violence and shoving and pushing. infact its more violent then Soccer! Baseball is fast I agree. But sometimes the players just have stand and wait for a catch. Basketball is kind of monotonous.People trying to throw a ball in a basket.Its much better watching NBA on T.V. Golf is for the richies. Golf clubs and equipment are very expensive (even second hands). And you cant play golf everywhere unlike soccer. Thats why Soccer is a universal game. You can play it on the streets , in the park , in the beach in your backyard in the stadium in the ground you name it!

Soccer rocks!

Akshay

Ultimate "man's game"? Hardly.

That's a really "special" argument except for the fact that I wasn't arguing your opinion of why you thik such a sissy game is so great. Nor did I argue baseball, basketball and/or football were superior. I damned sure didn't say anything about golf; which, I consider a game and hardly a sport.

Atleast one person here who likes soccer!! Don't worry ...I will start a thread on soccer as soon as I get a juicy topic. And I shall try to update people about the Champions League (That is IF any one cares to read it)

Akshay
Dont you mean two people here who love this great game. My hometeam got relegated yesterday to the second division for the next season. It was expected even if tha chances were that we could promote ourselv to the qualification spot. The European season is going on and my Fav team are in a bad form right now. My dream would be that Chelsea gets relegated lost their russian owner ,and have to play in the grey zone in the conference in 4 years time.
even if soccer seem to be vanishing in the states i am not sure they will do in the long run. The latin speaking groups seem to love the game and they are growing.

The el clasico a few weekends ago had almosta as much viewers as any superbowl have.

The ladies in NFL use protections lol
the soccerplayers do not. And by the way football is played byt he feet. your kind of football is called American Football.

My dream would be that Chelsea gets relegated lost their russian owner ,and have to play in the grey zone in the conference in 4 years time.

Keep dreaming mate.. Chelsea are the giants of European football and will be.

CHELSEA ROCKS! MAN UTD SUCKS!

A true Chelsea FC fan

AKshay

The ladies in NFL use protections lol
the soccerplayers do not. And by the way football is played byt he feet. your kind of football is called American Football.

That's because soccer players aren't allowed to clothesline each other. Let's see how much 'protection' your sissyball players start wearing when the defenders start knocking the crap out of the forwards.

Now, rugby is just crazy dangerous. I'll give ya rugby, but soccer? Get real. The stuff that gets you a Heismann Trophy is football gets you banned in soccer.

Forum List

Back