Why No One Will See "Suburbicon"

Nobody "wants to tear down statues of Columbus, Washington, Jefferson or Jackson" (depending on which Jackson you're talking about). There are however municipalities that have taken back control of their own (agian the key phrase there is "their own") public spaces that were commandeered as propaganda transmitters a century ago by a revisionist history propaganda group called the United Daughters of the Confederacy --- but that's got nothing to do with Columbus, Washington, Jefferson or Jackson" (depending on which Jackson you're talking about), nor does it have anything to do with history, since statues and monuments are not how we record history in the first place.

George Washington’s Virginia church taking down his memorial

Shut up and bring a bag of chips when you come ... Think we are watching "Wild, Wild West" with Will Smith and Kevin Kline after the game.

We're starting over now?

Once again --- it's not a "message" film; it's a history film. This is a real event, that really already happened. Exactly sixty years ago.

Again I've never been a moviegoer but even I know movies based around historical events are a very common approach. Always have been. This particular one is of special interest because it happened in my own back yard.

You actually think it's "funny" that a family was forced out of their own home by bigotry huh?

No, I think it funny that two Hollywood top-of-the-A-list Democrat supporters have another dismal failure on their hands.

Unfortunately none of that was what my post was about.

But that is what the OP was about. Your concerns are inconsequential to the issue.

But you weren't rating the OP. You were rating my post, which is specifically about the historical event. It was also specifically in response to your characterization of the film, articulating what it's specifically about.

Quit trying to weasel out of it You own it.

:cuckoo:

Nobody "wants to tear down statues of Columbus, Washington, Jefferson or Jackson" (depending on which Jackson you're talking about). There are however municipalities that have taken back control of their own (agian the key phrase there is "their own") public spaces that were commandeered as propaganda transmitters a century ago by a revisionist history propaganda group called the United Daughters of the Confederacy --- but that's got nothing to do with Columbus, Washington, Jefferson or Jackson" (depending on which Jackson you're talking about), nor does it have anything to do with history, since statues and monuments are not how we record history in the first place.

George Washington’s Virginia church taking down his memorial

Shut up and bring a bag of chips when you come ... Think we are watching "Wild, Wild West" with Will Smith and Kevin Kline after the game.

Chips are right out. But I'll let you hold my bag of cashews. :D

White privilege? I am white, poor and wondering when that kicks in. Those two words (white+privilege) carry so much provenance, let alone baggage that just isn't backed up in reality. I am tired of rich white actors playing up the race card and bashing entitlement and racism and making lots of money doing so. Wow. The disconnect and hypocrisy is mind boggling.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back