Why no law was broken in the Sestak job offer...

Poor Issa. He started the movement to get Governor Gray Davis out of office. When Arnold decided to run Issa wept on TV because his intent was to become governor himself.

Wow. Second most irrelevant post this week. At least you weren't claiming that Nixon did this too so it's OK.

Oops. It's the "they all do it" defense. I knew that was going to rear its ugly head sooner or later.

Hey, if you want to try and imprison every politician in Washington, plus past politicians, for similar "offenses", more power to you.

You'll have to have them re-write the law, and make it retroactive, but I wouldn't mind getting every single politician out of Washington, as well as all the party officials from both parties.

Oh, and, to the Mods:

I did think that this was a valid point needing it's own thread, but since I see there are like 8 different threads on this same subject now, I will understand if this thread is combined with others.

:)

You notice, they aren't trying to deny that Sestak was offered a position. That is a felony.

Now we are supposed to just pretend that the administration has done absolutely nothing wrong. I don't care if Obama is involved directly or not. I am sick and tired of corruption in every damn administration.

No, it is not. Do you know what a "felony" is?

The only way any laws were broken is if someone from the White House actually said to Sestak - "Hey, I'll give you a job if you drop out of the race".

Since the offer was a.) an un-paid, advisory position and b.) offered long before Sestak announced his campaign, no law was violated. Certainly not a "felony".

You notice, they aren't trying to deny that Sestak was offered a position. That is a felony.

Now we are supposed to just pretend that the administration has done absolutely nothing wrong. I don't care if Obama is involved directly or not. I am sick and tired of corruption in every damn administration.

The only way any laws were broken is if someone from the White House actually said to Sestak - "Hey, I'll give you a job if you drop out of the race".

Since the offer was a.) an un-paid, advisory position and b.) offered long before Sestak announced his campaign, no law was violated. Certainly not a "felony".

Indeed, but even if that was the case, it would not be a crime if:

1. The offer was made on behalf of the President or Vice-President themselves, as they are exempted from the law in section 9.

or

2. The offer was made concerning any job that was not created by or overseen by congress, as those are the only jobs that are listed as being illegal to offer.

Really, Rep Issa and his friends are being unusually foolish here.

Not hardly.
If Sestak was offered a job in return for not running, that would be bribery. It doesn't matter that the position is unpaid. It is irrelevant whether Sestak had announced or not. It is still an attempt to change the outcome of an election by bribery.
And the presidential exemption will not help as, presumably, Obama and his agents was not acting in his capacity as president but as head of his party.

Not hardly.
If Sestak was offered a job in return for not running, that would be bribery. It doesn't matter that the position is unpaid. It is irrelevant whether Sestak had announced or not. It is still an attempt to change the outcome of an election by bribery.
And the presidential exemption will not help as, presumably, Obama and his agents was not acting in his capacity as president but as head of his party.

Why would one "presume" that?

Mr Obama in this case would have been choosing one democrat over another, and a more centrist Democrat at that.

Why would that indicate he was acting in the interest of the party rather than in the interest of the nation, or at least what he feels to be the interest of the nation?

And really, all this begs the question:

Why does anyone give a crap about this?

I mean, is there anyone who's not some sort of partisan extremist activist who really cares AT ALL about the inner workings of Democratic party politics?

It's not like they were trying to force the guy out of the race, they were just offering him an alternative.

Sure, it's perhaps a bit underhanded, but that's politics. Why would any "average Joe" citizen care about this at all?

Not hardly.

Mr Obama in this case would have been choosing one democrat over another, and a more centrist Democrat at that.

Why would that indicate he was acting in the interest of the party rather than in the interest of the nation, or at least what he feels to be the interest of the nation?

2 wars, record debt and deficits, our AAA Credit rating imperiled, 10% unemployment and this is how Obama spends his time.

Nice

2 wars, record debt and deficits, our AAA Credit rating imperiled, 10% unemployment and this is how Obama spends his time.

Nice

And, as I said in the other thread you mentioned this in, a 30 second conversation is not much of an effort.

But a large scale investigation into a bullshit accusation will definitely be diverting attention from more important matters.

Although Bauer does acknowledge that -- at the request of Chief of Staff Rahm Emmanuel -- former President Bill Cinton did approach Sestak about being appointed to "a Presidential or other Senior Executive Branch Advisory Board," the memo says no White House officials went to Sestak directly and any position would have been unpaid.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cq/20100528/...olitics3674838

lol....but, but, it would have been UNPAID...

lmao, the excuses this admin puts forth

The more they try to manage the spin, the more "meaning of is is" it becomes.

And really, all this begs the question:

Why does anyone give a crap about this?

I mean, is there anyone who's not some sort of partisan extremist activist who really cares AT ALL about the inner workings of Democratic party politics?

It's not like they were trying to force the guy out of the race, they were just offering him an alternative.

Sure, it's perhaps a bit underhanded, but that's politics. Why would any "average Joe" citizen care about this at all?

Ummmm.. Because it was ILLEGAL!!

Nice

And, as I said in the other thread you mentioned this in, a 30 second conversation is not much of an effort.

But a large scale investigation into a bullshit accusation will definitely be diverting attention from more important matters.

It's its not a big deal why ask a former President to make the bribe offer?

Are you really THAT Naive?

This is a BIG FUCKING DEAL

And note how Sestak immediately released a lawyered up response (no doubt this is what his brother was arranging with the White House):

Last summer, I received a phone call from President Clinton. During the course of the conversation, he expressed concern over my prospects if I were to enter the Democratic primary for U.S. Senate and the value of having me stay in the House of Representatives because of my military background. He said that White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel had spoken with him about my being on a Presidential Board while remaining in the House of Representatives. I said no. I told President Clinton that my only consideration in getting into the Senate race or not was whether it was the right thing to do for Pennsylvania working families and not any offer. The former President said he knew I'd say that, and the conversation moved on to other subjects.

There are many important challenges facing Pennsylvania and the rest of the country. I intend to remain focused on those issues and continue my fight on behalf of working families.

And here's Sestak's response - First Read - msnbc.com

If there is anyone we can trust, anyone that has never lied to the American people, it's Bill Clinton!!
Bill%20Clinton.jpg

Y'all can trust me. Y'all know I'd never lie!!! Look, I'm biting my lip and everything!!!!

Not hardly.

You realize you jsut contradicted yourself, right?
If he is trying to get one Democrat elected over another through bribery then that is not acting in his capacity as President. That is a party matter.

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

EPIC FAIL WINGNUTS.

Someone check up on Phil and make sure he hasn't thrown himself off a bridge.

Oh, and y'all might wanna clean up all the ejaculate he left on the boards jerking off to this "scandal" 24/7.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Losers.

Forum List

Back