Why no law was broken in the Sestak job offer...

Vast LWC

<-Mohammed
Aug 4, 2009
New York
Right wingers should learn to read the actual laws you are referring to before making crazy accusations. Yes I'm talking to you Rep. Darrell Issa:

Hatch Act

SEC. 3. It shall be unlawful for any person, directly or indirectly, to promise any employment, position, work, compensation, or other benefit, provided for or made possible in whole or in part by any Act of Congress, to give consideration, favor, or reward for any political activity or for the support of or opposition to any candidate or any political party in any election.

Since the position offered, which was an advisory position on the President's Intelligence Advisory Board, was not in fact "made possible in whole or in part by any Act of Congress" (the IAB was created by presidential executive order during the Ford administration), no law has been broken.

In addition, section 9, which would be the other applicable section, contains an exception for the President himself and his cabinet. To wit:

SEC. 9. (a) It shall be unlawful for any person employed in the executive branch of the Federal Government, or any agency or department thereof, to use his official authority or influence for the purpose of interfering ;with an election or affecting the result thereof. No officer or employee in the executive branch of the Federal Government, or any agency or department thereof, shall take any active part in political management or in political campaigns. All such persons shall retain the right to vote as they may choose and to express their opinions on all political subjects. For the purposes of this section the term "officer" or "employee" shall not be construe to include (1) the President and the Vice Presdent of the United States; (2) persons whose compensation is paid from the appropriation for the office of the President;

Looks like the right-wingers have been led on yet another wild goose chase.

Last edited:
Wow. What a spin. And that's assuming we even know the true story here.
So now Obama is showing the worst tendencies of Jimmy "I asked my daughter about it" Carter and Bill "It depends on the meaning of 'is'" Clinton.

In fact the board is authorized by Congress every year in the budget.

You notice, they aren't trying to deny that Sestak was offered a position. That is a felony.

Now we are supposed to just pretend that the administration has done absolutely nothing wrong. I don't care if Obama is involved directly or not. I am sick and tired of corruption in every damn administration.

All we've seen from the White House is the White House's Attorney's theory of how to defend his client. It is not an objective assessment.

Nothing personal, but I'd prefer more qualified individuals than yourself look into this. If they find no foul, then so be it. Frankly, I doubt you know what you are talking about. The fact that the WH says "no biggie" means nothing.. the've shown a propensity to lie about just about everything.

Last edited:
Right wingers should learn to read the actual laws you are referring to before making crazy accusations. Yes I'm talking to you Rep. Darrell Issa:

Hatch Act

SEC. 3. It shall be unlawful for any person, directly or indirectly, to promise any employment, position, work, compensation, or other benefit, provided for or made possible in whole or in part by any Act of Congress, to give consideration, favor, or reward for any political activity or for the support of or opposition to any candidate or any political party in any election.

Since the position offered, which was an advisory position on the President's Intelligence Advisory Board, was not in fact "made possible in whole or in part by any Act of Congress" (the IAB was created by presidential executive order during the Ford administration), no law has been broken.

In addition, section 9, which would be the other applicable section, contains an exception for the President himself and his cabinet. To wit:

SEC. 9. (a) It shall be unlawful for any person employed in the executive branch of the Federal Government, or any agency or department thereof, to use his official authority or influence for the purpose of interfering ;with an election or affecting the result thereof. No officer or employee in the executive branch of the Federal Government, or any agency or department thereof, shall take any active part in political management or in political campaigns. All such persons shall retain the right to vote as they may choose and to express their opinions on all political subjects. For the purposes of this section the term "officer" or "employee" shall not be construe to include (1) the President and the Vice Presdent of the United States; (2) persons whose compensation is paid from the appropriation for the office of the President;

You know. if you really believe the story the Whitehouse has released about the Sestak job offer then we should talk a little business. I have a beautiful bridge in New York for sale that could be yours for a pittance. You won't mind though sending your payment to Nigeria would you?

Last edited:

Hatch Act

So Obama is finally admitting the Sestak bribe?

Hmmmm....Blago is suddenly looking credible....

Why? because you say so?

No, because that is what the people in question have stated, namely Bill Clinton and Joe Sestak.

Now, if you want to make shit up, be my guest, but they are the only two witnesses, and Joe Sestak is the only reason there is any claim at all of misdeeds in the first place.

Questions?

Why? because you say so?

No, because that is what the people in question have stated, namely Bill Clinton and Joe Sestak.

Now, if you want to make shit up, be my guest, but they are the only two witnesses, and Joe Sestak is the only reason there is any claim at all of misdeeds in the first place.

Questions?
And we all know what a paragon of truth telling and propriety Bubba is!...Speaking of making shit up. :rolleyes:

Wow. What a spin. And that's assuming we even know the true story here.
So now Obama is showing the worst tendencies of Jimmy "I asked my daughter about it" Carter and Bill "It depends on the meaning of 'is'" Clinton.

In fact the board is authorized by Congress every year in the budget.

Nope, it is specifically designed to be a wholly independent agency to advise the president on intelligence matters.

Look it up, Wiki is fun!

You notice, they aren't trying to deny that Sestak was offered a position. That is a felony.

Now we are supposed to just pretend that the administration has done absolutely nothing wrong. I don't care if Obama is involved directly or not. I am sick and tired of corruption in every damn administration.

No, it's not. Stop spouting propaganda like a moron and read the law.

It's not a crime at all.

And we all know what a paragon of truth telling and propriety Bubba is!...Speaking of making shit up. :rolleyes:

Since the only people involved in the conversation were him and Sestak, there is no point in placing doubt on their credibility.

Why? because you say so?

Questions?

Yeah. What is Joe Sestak's version of what took place? No one knows because he isn't talking.
So we have to take Clinton's word for it as to what was offered and when. And the man is a convicted liar in a court of law. And we have to take the White House's word for it that nothing improper happened. And they ahve a bad reputation for truth telling. Roland Burris anyone?

Yeah. What is Joe Sestak's version of what took place? No one knows because he isn't talking.
So we have to take Clinton's word for it as to what was offered and when. And the man is a convicted liar in a court of law. And we have to take the White House's word for it that nothing improper happened. And they ahve a bad reputation for truth telling. Roland Burris anyone?

Survey says: "BUUUUUZZZZZZZZ"

Sestak's statement from today:

Last summer, I received a phone call from President Clinton. During the course of the conversation, he expressed concern over my prospects if I were to enter the Democratic primary for U.S. Senate and the value of having me stay in the House of Representatives because of my military background. He said that White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel had spoken with him about my being on a Presidential Board while remaining in the House of Representatives. I said no. I told President Clinton that my only consideration in getting into the Senate race or not was whether it was the right thing to do for Pennsylvania working families and not any offer. The former President said he knew I'd say that, and the conversation moved on to other subjects.

There are many important challenges facing Pennsylvania and the rest of the country. I intend to remain focused on those issues and continue my fight on behalf of working families.

The Intelligence Advisory Committee is in fact a "Presidential Board".

And, in addition, for the icing on the cake, Sestak did not even imply a "quid-pro-quo" in this statement.

Since the only people involved in the conversation were him and Sestak, there is no point in placing doubt on their credibility.
Right...And that little lunch date that Bubba recently had at the White House had absolutely nothing to do with any of this!

Wanna buy a bridge?

Forum List

Back