Why New York's future is fleeing

Trajan

conscientia mille testes
Jun 17, 2010
The Bay Area Soviet
interesting article........sounds ominous, they need the economy to take a major up turn, or these numbers will fill out....

snip-

There's also more work in Gotham than in the state as a whole. The problem is that the kind of work available shows that the city accommodates new immigrants much better than it supports middle-class aspirations. A recent report from the Drum Major Institute has the data: "The two fastest-growing industries in New York are also the lowest-paid. More than half of the city's employment growth over the past year has been in retail, hospitality and food services, all of which pay their workers less than half of the city's average wage."

Worse, more than 80 percent of the new jobs are in the city's five lowest-paying sectors.

Parts of the country are seeing a revival of manufacturing -- traditionally a source of upward mobility for immigrants -- but not New York City, where manufacturing continues to decline. The culprits here include the city's zoning policies, business taxes and decaying physical infrastructure.

Then there's the cost of living in New York City. A 2009 report by the Center for an Urban Future found that "a New Yorker would have to make $123,322 a year to have the same standard of living as someone making $50,000 in Houston. In Manhattan, a $60,000 salary is equivalent to someone making $26,092 in Atlanta." Even Queens, the report found, is the fifth most expensive urban area in the country.

The implications of Gotham's "hourglass economy" -- with all the action on the top and the bottom and not much in the middle -- are daunting.

The Drum Major report, which noted that 31 percent of the adults employed in New York work at low-wage labor, came with a political agenda. The institute wants the city to subsidize new categories of work by expanding the scope of "living-wage" laws, which require higher pay than minimum-wage laws do, to all businesses that receive city funds or contracts. But that would mean higher taxes on the middle class and a further narrowing of the hourglass' midsection.

Read more: Why New York's future is fleeing - NYPOST.com

That's good news!

Less traffic, smaller crowds, and shorter lines for the rest of us.

New York (and for that matter Chicago with the Illinois canal) became big as a transshipment port but with containerization huge amounts of employment began going away 40 years ago. NYC has already had at least two near death experiences in the previous century and Chicago is headed for one now but I doubt that there will be a massive disaster probably just more of the same slouching towards insignificance that has been going on since the 1890s.

3 words

don't come here....

New York is the next Detroit.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hhJ_49leBw]YouTube - ‪Detroit in RUINS! (Crowder goes Ghetto)‬‏[/ame]

actually they will do a reverse Escape from New York....the elites will stay in their bubble on Manhattan island and the boroughs will pick up the tab and wind up like Detroit...would not surprise me.

New York (and for that matter Chicago with the Illinois canal) became big as a transshipment port but with containerization huge amounts of employment began going away 40 years ago. NYC has already had at least two near death experiences in the previous century and Chicago is headed for one now but I doubt that there will be a massive disaster probably just more of the same slouching towards insignificance that has been going on since the 1890s.

Insignificance?

NYC is the top tourist attraction in the US.

It is also the single most important place in the US and the undisputed center of the universe.

Insignificance? I thnk not.

http://budgettravel.about.com/od/destinationsavings/qt/forbes_uslist.htm

Insignificance?

NYC is the top tourist attraction in the US.

It is also the single most important place in the US and the undisputed center of the universe.

Insignificance? I thnk not.

Forbes Ranks Tourist Attractions - Top U.S. Tourist Attractions on a Budget

IOW, a nice place to visit...

From a construction point of view, the costs in NYC of building something is far greater than anywhere else in the country.

My area is public construction jobs, and on those we have something called Wicks Law, that makes any job over $500k be divided into 4 seperare contracts, General, Electrical, HVAC, and plumbing. So on each individual job you have 4 prime contractors, instead of 1 prime and a bunch of subs. This increases oversight costs, as well as the bid cost by the contractors.

NY is also, when it comes to public work, a de facto closed union shop, due to prevailing wage laws. Most of the unions work just fine, but a few have archaic work rules left over from the days of the mob, or the days where equimpment wasnt availible. This ruins productivity. When I use a means catalog (estimators guide) to price out a job, for NYC I double the staffing for the same level of productivity found in the book.

Finally, we have multiple layers of regulatory agencies for each task. DOB, FDNY, Con ED, DEP/DEC. This also increases costs.

Finally the agencies that bid out the work seem designed to slow down how fast you can build something. Change Orders take up to a year, and any time a Change Order goes to Time and Materials the auditors nit pick every single dime, again adding to costs.

Marty
please correct me if i'm wrong, but HB-1's can be used (or should i say abused?) on Davis Bacon jobs.....

Marty
please correct me if i'm wrong, but HB-1's can be used (or should i say abused?) on Davis Bacon jobs.....

If I am correct most HB-1 jobs are Engineering jobs, which are considered Professional Jobs and not covered by prevailing wage or even overtime laws. If they could be used for trades such as carpenters and electricans, etc. then I think they would be covered.

In my firm we have very few HB-1 people doing Engineering work, as NYC has a glut of home born professionals. There is really no need for immigration to cover the deficit in professionals.

A close friend of mine who, in the 50s and 60s was raised Manhattan, laments the fact that it is no longer really possible for the middle class to exist there.

The big SQUEEZE of the middle class is very obvious in New York City preciely because its been going on there for decades.

To some extent, if this nation continues on the path it appears to be on, NYC is merely a harbinger of this nation's future.

A close friend of mine who, in the 50s and 60s was raised Manhattan, laments the fact that it is no longer really possible for the middle class to exist there.

The big SQUEEZE of the middle class is very obvious in New York City preciely because its been going on there for decades.

To some extent, if this nation continues on the path it appears to be on, NYC is merely a harbinger of this nation's future.
You have to wade through the data. In high cost of living states this is true. Progressive taxation exists to protect the deep pockets of the paymasters of the politicians. In CA, IL, NY, NJ and some other states this trend has gone wild usually due to some logistical advantage such as San Francisco bay being perhaps the best port on the west coast of the Americas. But in flyover country this is much less true. The erosion of the middle class has been going in London and Paris for centuries. It has been leading to secessionist movements for just as long.

interesting article........sounds ominous, they need the economy to take a major up turn, or these numbers will fill out....

snip-

There's also more work in Gotham than in the state as a whole. The problem is that the kind of work available shows that the city accommodates new immigrants much better than it supports middle-class aspirations. A recent report from the Drum Major Institute has the data: "The two fastest-growing industries in New York are also the lowest-paid. More than half of the city's employment growth over the past year has been in retail, hospitality and food services, all of which pay their workers less than half of the city's average wage."

Worse, more than 80 percent of the new jobs are in the city's five lowest-paying sectors.

Parts of the country are seeing a revival of manufacturing -- traditionally a source of upward mobility for immigrants -- but not New York City, where manufacturing continues to decline. The culprits here include the city's zoning policies, business taxes and decaying physical infrastructure.

Then there's the cost of living in New York City. A 2009 report by the Center for an Urban Future found that "a New Yorker would have to make $123,322 a year to have the same standard of living as someone making $50,000 in Houston. In Manhattan, a $60,000 salary is equivalent to someone making $26,092 in Atlanta." Even Queens, the report found, is the fifth most expensive urban area in the country.

The implications of Gotham's "hourglass economy" -- with all the action on the top and the bottom and not much in the middle -- are daunting.

The Drum Major report, which noted that 31 percent of the adults employed in New York work at low-wage labor, came with a political agenda. The institute wants the city to subsidize new categories of work by expanding the scope of "living-wage" laws, which require higher pay than minimum-wage laws do, to all businesses that receive city funds or contracts. But that would mean higher taxes on the middle class and a further narrowing of the hourglass' midsection.

Oh, yeah?

I've got two words for you, buddy....

Canarsie Pier!

snip-

Oh, yeah?

I've got two words for you, buddy....

Canarsie Pier!

:lol:........ahhh the memories!

Forum List

Back