Why must we be subjected to fake religions

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Patriot, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Patriot

Patriot BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I am so sick and tired of this fake religion being shoved in my face. Why must humans put up with bullshit and fakery just so we can pat ourselves on the back and commend ourselves on how "good" we are? I am talking about Kwanzaa.

http://www.us.net/mccpta/spotlight/dec01/Kawanza.html

Celebration of Kwanzaa

In 1966, Dr. Maulana Karenga created Kwanzaa to reaffirm and restore African heritage and culture; introduce and reinforce a set of seven principles that African Americans can incorporate in their lives on a daily basis; address the absence of non-heroic holidays in the African American community; serve as a regular communal celebration that reaffirms and reinforces the bonds between African American people; and, put forth self-determination as a statement of the cultural truth as an African people.

The harvest has always been a time for celebration. In many parts of Africa, people celebrate harvest time with parties. After gathering their crops, the family or community comes together. They would bring an offering of food from their harvest. Hunters brought fish to bake and game to roast. After the feast, people danced and sang, beat drums, and played other musical instruments. They gave thanks for their harvest and remembered their ancestors. Dr. Karenga used these African harvest traditions when he created Kwanzaa. He also used words from the African language of Swahili. The word Kwanzaa comes from the Swahili phrase "Matunda ya Kwanza," which means "first fruits of the harvest." The second "a" distinguishes the African American from the African Kwanza.

The traditional Kwanzaa celebration occurs annually from December 26 to January 1. Many African Americans celebrate on January 1. Although Kwanzaa is celebrated at the end of the year, at the same time as the Christian celebration of Christmas, the Hindu celebration of Divali, the Jewish celebration of Chanukah, and traditional New Year’s celebration, it is not designed as an alternative to or replacement for any of these holidays. Kwanzaa is a cultural celebration that may be celebrated jointly with any or all of these year-end holidays.

The seven principles of Kwanzaa are:

Unity, Self Determination,

Collective Work or Responsibility,

Cooperative Economics, Purpose, Creativity, and Faith.

Here is the thing...I have never even HEARD of this religion until Bill Clinton brought it to light in one of his "holiday" speeches. And why force this upon Americans? It isnt like there are thousands who even celebrate this so called holiday. I mean I know many Africans ( I mean "real "ones from the country not the so called "african American" bullshit you here nowadays) especially since I have family memebers from that continent. And everyone that I know and have listend to all celebrate Christmas!

2. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    My brother works with a guy named Heinrich. Heinrich immigrated from South Africa. People accuse him of faslifying documents when he lists himself as 'African-American'.

It's a twisted world when our herritage is only authenticated by the colour of our skin.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. rei_t_ex

rei_t_ex Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am not sure that Kwanzaa is a religious celebration. From the article you have quoted, it sounds as if it is a cultural one instead. But more to the point, what exactly is a "fake" religion? How do you figure out which religions are fake and which are not? Besides, what is wrong with people practicing obscure religions? After all, it was people escaping religious persecution in Europe due to their slightly non-standard religious beliefs that were the first citizens of this country. As such, your position seems to be rather unpatriotic.

4. nakedemperor

nakedemperor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Kwanzaa is not a religion, its a cultural celebration. Moreover, I'm not sure why you qualified it as "fake"; on account of the "lack of thousands who even celebtrate this so-called holiday", possibly? There are lots and lots of people celebrate this holiday. Hundreds of thousands, maybe millions. Kwanzaa is not in opposition to Christmas, it can be celebrated by Christians as well.

5. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616

It was made up on the basis of a culture that did not exist beforehand or even then. The entire basis was based on the ideas of one person built only to express and put forward his ideas of what their culture should be, not what it was.

A minority of African-Americans celebrate the "holiday" but most are just as irritated by the way it was made up out of whole cloth by somebody that didn't even have the knowledge to at least choose words for the days of the holiday that come from a part of Africa that much of the forced immigration came from.

6. nakedemperor

nakedemperor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +150
    So let's start picking apart other "fake" holidays. Thanksgiving? That was made up on a whim. It has cultural boundaries determined by habit, but anyone can celebrate, right? As long as the sentiment is there...

7. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616

Thanksgiving was not made up to expressly create a culture that didn't exist before that time like this particular "holiday". This particular "holiday" is an exercise in Social Engineering.

It was not built on any reason other than to get others follow the precepts that the good Dr. put forward when he made it up. He believed that his social engineering would bring forth a better group of African Americans if they just followed the moral precepts he was teaching.

Thanksgiving would not be a valid analogy as it was culturally sound. They didn't even have to make up words to come up with it. It was culturally valid and based soundly within the actual culture of the day, unlike Kwanzaa.

8. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    It was based on real history. It was not constructed strictly for political purposes as was kwanzaa. No one celebrates Kwanzaa. It's a joke.

9. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    at one point no religion existed...all were invented thus all could be considered fake.....

10. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    how did you verify this? :dunno: