Why More Troops at Korean Border Than U.S. Border?

Tank

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2009
Babeu also said it was “tremendous” to have received the Sheriff of the Year award, which he said he accepted on behalf of the 700 men and women who work with him, the citizens of Arizona and for the state. Babeu added that he believed the work law enforcement is doing in Arizona also played a role.

“I think it has everything to do with us standing up for America, standing up for the rule of law and not being shouted down by the president and his men trying to make like somehow we’re being un-American for enforcing the law and wanting a secure border,” Babeu said.

He said he thinks President Barack Obama has made race the issue instead of fulfilling his job of protecting the American people by enforcing immigration laws.

“It’s not about race, color or national origin,” Babeu said. “It’s about enforcing the law, Mr. President. That’s our job.”

AZ Sheriff: Why More Troops at Korean Border Than U.S. Border? | CNSnews.com

Babeu also said it was “tremendous” to have received the Sheriff of the Year award, which he said he accepted on behalf of the 700 men and women who work with him, the citizens of Arizona and for the state. Babeu added that he believed the work law enforcement is doing in Arizona also played a role.

“I think it has everything to do with us standing up for America, standing up for the rule of law and not being shouted down by the president and his men trying to make like somehow we’re being un-American for enforcing the law and wanting a secure border,” Babeu said.

He said he thinks President Barack Obama has made race the issue instead of fulfilling his job of protecting the American people by enforcing immigration laws.

“It’s not about race, color or national origin,” Babeu said. “It’s about enforcing the law, Mr. President. That’s our job.”

AZ

Sheriff: Why More Troops at Korean Border Than U.S. Border? | CNSnews.com

Our government is broken, has been for many years and it needs fixing.

Unfortunately they're in Iraq and Afghanistan and Korea...
:eusa_eh:
Half a Million Troops Could Seal the Southwest Border, Says Border Protection Chief
Friday, August 05, 2011 – Sealing the border between the United States and Mexico completely is “theoretically” possible, but Americans would not want to pay “the costs that would be involved,” U.S. Customs and Border Protection commissioner Alan Bersin said Thursday.
He was speaking at an event to release a report by the liberal Center for American Progress (CAP), claiming the southwest border is safer than it ever has been. “We would need on the order of about four or five hundred thousand border patrol agents to seal the border,” Bersin said, adding that such a plan would involve having agents stationed “25 yards” apart along the entire length of the border. Bersin’s remarks came after he was questioned about sealing the border by CAP immigration policy director Marshall Fitz. Bersin and Fitz joined Doris Meissner, who served as commissioner of the Immigration and Naturalization Service during the Clinton administration, to discuss border security and release the CAP report, Safer Than Ever, A View from the U.S.-Mexico Border: Assessing the Past, Present and Future.

Fitz said he wanted to ask Bersin “about the impossibility of an absolute seal,” and what he characterized as unrealistic intent of 2006 legislation mandating a fence be built along the southwest border. Fitz said for “the average American, who doesn’t think a lot about this and considers the United States the most powerful country in the history of the world,” it might not seem “unrealistic to think that we could actually seal the border.” He said that the U.S. Congress, in passing the Secure Fence Act of 2006, “suggests that that is viable.”

Bersin responded by saying most Americans understand that a “zero crime rate” is not possible, adding that the border issue is more a political than a practical one. “The difficulty is not that the American people wouldn’t understand it, it’s that there’s a volatility of border politics,” he said. “So that any particular incident gets blown into this conflagration that somehow things are out of control in ways that people are quite used to in their neighborhood. “The occurrence of a crime in the community doesn’t lead people to believe that their entire community is lawless,” Bersin said. He said he favored the “satisfactory control of the border that I think we are moving toward.”

Meissner credited the Clinton administration, and the agency she headed in particular, with changing the model of enforcing immigration law from strictly a personnel issue to a strategy that includes a “mix of resources,” including personnel, technology and other support infrastructure. All three panelists argued that a reduction in apprehensions along the border suggests a more secure border. The CAP report authored by Fitz shows striking differences in apprehension rates between 2000 and 2010. In the Tucson, Arizona sector – the area all agreed has the highest number of illegal crossings – 616,346 people were taken into custody in 2000, compared with 212,202 in 2010. In the El Paso, Texas, sector the number dropped from 285,781 in 2000 to 12, 251 in 2010. Meissner accused critics of the Obama administration’s immigration policies of “stirring the pot,” although she also admitted that in Arizona “there is not yet the level of control that you want.”

In his report, Fitz targeted Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Texas), chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, calling him and his allies “restrictionists.” “The unreasonable position advanced by the restrictionists is that 100 percent of the border must be subject to the most stringent standard, i.e. controlled,” he wrote. “Rep. Smith is effectively demanding an absolute seal of the border – an unattainable objective – as a precondition to discussion of broader immigration reforms.” Smith’s office did not immediately respond to a CNSNews.com request to comment on the report.

Half a Million Troops Could Seal the Southwest Border, Says Border Protection Chief | CNSnews.com

Another tunnel found under border...
:eusa_eh:
Mexican smugglers dig tunnel under US border
13 Aug 2011 - Mexican troops have discovered an unfinished 980-foot tunnel beneath the US border designed to smuggle drugs and people.
The entrance to the tunnel was inside a house in the border town of Tijuana that was made to appear as though it was under construction, said Mexican General Alfonso Duarte announced the find. He added that 10 people were detained in the operation, including a woman who had been helping to dig the tunnel for nearly a year.

The tunnel was around six feet high and three feet wide, and had a lighting and ventilation system. US officials said in June that more than 150 secret tunnels for smuggling people and drugs into the United States have been found since 1990.

Mexico has seen a wave of unrest in recent years as powerful drug cartels have battled over lucrative trade routes to the United States, with some 41,000 people killed in drug-related violence since 2006. That year President Felipe Calderón launched a massive military crackdown, which critics say has led the cartels to develop more advanced tactics and more brutal methods without bringing security to border communities.

Source

• Banned
Friday, August 05, 2011 – Sealing the border between the United States and Mexico completely is “theoretically” possible, but Americans would not want to pay “the costs that would be involved,” U.S. Customs and Border Protection commissioner Alan Bersin said Thursday
What a fucking joke.

Speaks lowly for the Arizona education system. There are less than 100 US troops who serve in the JSA, and that number is probably closer to 50. The ROKs patrol their own border.

The majority of US troops are REMFs. It's the ROKs who are on the front lines.

It's always been my personal opinion (I've served two tours there) that we're not there to defend the South against the North.

We're there to keep the South from attacking the North.

Speaks lowly for the Arizona education system. There are less than 100 US troops who serve in the JSA, and that number is probably closer to 50. The ROKs patrol their own border.

It's always been my personal opinion (I've served two tours there) that we're not there to defend the South against the North.

I served at camp liberty bell. I never got that impression, although there were factions that wanted too.

I think you are misguided in the belief we are there to prevent the south going north.

Special hat tip to the ROKs, they are some tough SOBs.

I served at camp liberty bell. I never got that impression, although there were factions that wanted too.

I think you are misguided in the belief we are there to prevent the south going north.

American forces are a trip wire. If we left the pennisula and the North decided to head south, it would take political will to move forces in to help the South Koreans.

With american's in place, the inital casualties would include american troops. This would be an attack on us, not just the SK's, requiring a response no matter how un-militaristc the american administration at the time could be.

Our troops are there to add to the NK's equation when deciding whether to attack. They know that the US will respond, and have to wiegh that when deciding if an attack south will suceed.

I was there in '85 and '98. The difference was astonishing! I served the first time at CRC and was considered a REMF. In '98, I was in Yongsan, and CRC was considered "front line."

The reason I think we're there to keep the South in check is because unification means a hell of a lot more to the ROK than it does to the North. There's a lot of historical and cultural emotions when it comes to unifying the Koreas. Remember the Soviet defector incident in '84? Some Soviet ran across the MDL into the South, and the North's troops chased right after him shooting their weapons. The JSA responded with an immediate defense, the 2 ID sent in a QRF, the whole country went on ape shit alert, rumor had it that a Navy strike force was already airborne just in case the North did anything else stupid (Reagan didn't fuck around). Well, I also heard that ROK commanders cut themselves, usually on the forearm, dropped their blood into a creek or river and shouted "Tong Il!" ("One people, one land"). This was a Korean ritual thing; don't know how valid that rumor was; just saying that it indicated to me that this is a big thing for the Koreans.

American forces are a trip wire. If we left the pennisula and the North decided to head south, it would take political will to move forces in to help the South Koreans.

With american's in place, the inital casualties would include american troops. This would be an attack on us, not just the SK's, requiring a response no matter how un-militaristc the american administration at the time could be.

Our troops are there to add to the NK's equation when deciding whether to attack. They know that the US will respond, and have to wiegh that when deciding if an attack south will suceed.

I'll admit that it's been over 10 years since I last left my boot prints on the Korean Peninsula; however, I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you. The initial casualties would be lots of ROK soldiers and civilians before a significant number of Americans were killed.

The ROK military is better-trained, better-equipped, and technologically more sophisticated than the DPRK. The only thing the North has is an arsenal of chemical weapons to threaten the South with.

ROKs train for combat under NBC conditions.

All I'm saying here is that the 10 foot North Korean soldiers are standing on wooden stilts. And that wood is beginning to deteriorate. It would be a nasty war any way you look at it, but the North is at the disadvantage here. It's all a matter of who comes in to help out the North. Contrary to popular myth, the Chinese aren't willing to go at it. The Chinese would probably secretly stage a coup in North Korea before allowing Kim Jong Il the chance to fuck things up for everybody.

Last edited:
The easy answer to the question asked in the title of this thread is that Korea is always on the brink of war. Mexico is not our enemy.

The easy answer to the question asked in the title of this thread is that Korea is always on the brink of war. Mexico is not our enemy.

Korea has always been on the brink of war(again) for the last 60 years, that landscape(border) has never changed and probably never will in my lifetime... In the past 60 years the landscape of Mexico has changed! We have violent criminals, that put the taliban to shame, controlling a majority of the border cities and their inept government can't do anything to take back those cities.

Easterling said on Tuesday that in fiscal 2009, 17,399 Border Patrol agents have been deployed on the U.S.-Mexico border. In fiscal year 2010, the Border Patrol plans to decrease that by 384 agents, leaving 17,015 deployed along the Mexican frontier. At the same time, the number of Border Patrol agents deployed on the U.S.-Canada border will be increased by 414, from a fiscal 2009 total of 1,798 agents to a fiscal 2010 total of 2,212.

Administration Will Cut Border Patrol Deployed on U.S-Mexico Border | CNSnews.com

Repositioning U.S. forces to Camp Humphries at Osan Air Base south of Seoul improves force readiness, Sharp said, and allows for the consolidation of forces onto two enduring hubs.

Normalizing tours in Korea, Sharp said, will improve readiness, combat capability, and lower turbulence in units and reduce the stress placed on troops and families.

Gates approved the normalization plan in December 2008, paving the way for longer, accompanied tours for the 28,500 U.S. service members stationed throughout South Korea. For many years, the tour of duty in Korea was one year, and unaccompanied by family members.

Defense.gov News Article: Sharp Emphasizes Need for U.S.-South Korea Alliance

You see nothing wrong with this???

Korea has always been on the brink of war(again) for the last 60 years, that landscape(border) has never changed and probably never will in my lifetime... In the past 60 years the landscape of Mexico has changed! We have violent criminals, that put the taliban to shame, controlling a majority of the border cities and their inept government can't do anything to take back those cities.

There's a difference there as well. The Taliban are stealth attackers. These criminal organizations from Mexico aren't hiding. They muscles their way into whatever area that want to be in with trying to disguise themselves. It's simple brute force. We knowehre their bases are. If Mexio, the US, and Canada teamed up (because this affects all of us) and just cleaned house there could be tremendous improvements made.

However, our current Administration doesn't want to get involved because they want to use the issue as a way of trying to enact more gun control. But those only affect law abiding citizens. Not the criminals.

I was at the DMZ, years ago. We had them thar gunz.............and no ammo !
What a joke......no matter. YOU paid for it !
My yobo was incredible. THANX ! The weed was dirt cheap too !

babeu also said it was “tremendous” to have received the sheriff of the year award, which he said he accepted on behalf of the 700 men and women who work with him, the citizens of arizona and for the state. Babeu added that he believed the work law enforcement is doing in arizona also played a role.

“i think it has everything to do with us standing up for america, standing up for the rule of law and not being shouted down by the president and his men trying to make like somehow we’re being un-american for enforcing the law and wanting a secure border,” babeu said.

He said he thinks president barack obama has made race the issue instead of fulfilling his job of protecting the american people by enforcing immigration laws.

“it’s not about race, color or national origin,” babeu said. “it’s about enforcing the law, mr. President. That’s our job.”

az sheriff: Why more troops at korean border than u.s. Border? | cnsnews.com

the idea is to destroy amerika with illegals being able to vote - illegals know how to mpull the lever that has the (d) on it !

Demokrats hate capitalism -

Forum List

Back