Why Middle-Aged Missing Out on New Jobs

Shadow

Silver Member
Aug 16, 2008
Land Of Enchantment
Why the Middle-Aged Are Missing Out on New Jobs

Jobs are back. Just not for everybody.

Like many other things in the stutter-step economic recovery, the job market is finally recovering, but progress is uneven and some people are being left out. The latest jobs report, for example, shows that the economy created 216,000 jobs in March, for a total of about 1.9 million new jobs since employment levels bottomed out at the end of 2009. That's a healthy pace of job growth that will help bring down the uncomfortably high unemployment rate, and, with luck, cement the recovery.

But digging into the numbers reveals some of the unusual ways that work and retirement may be permanently changing for millions of Americans. Most of the new jobs created since the end of 2009, for one thing, are going to workers under the age of 34, or over the age of 55. Employment levels for middle-aged workers, meanwhile, are stagnant or still falling. Here's a breakdown:

Age group Job gains last 15 months Unemployment rate
All adults 16 and over 1.9 million 8.8%
16 - 24 490,000 17.6%
25 - 34 709,000 9.1%
35 - 44 -143,000 7.2%
45 - 54 -454,000 7.1%
55 and over 1.3 million 3.1%

(Note: The broken-down job numbers don't completely add up to the total due to seasonal adjustments and other factors.)

Why the Middle-Aged Are Missing Out on New Jobs - Yahoo! Finance

• Banned
I know...and I've been middle age for awhile too :redface:

Interesting that companies are hiring more seniors,and of course college grads. I was going to start job hunting too. Looks like the only thing I've got going for me is I'm female. :)

I like the comment from RC...under the article:

Apparently, a self-important college freshman attending a recent football game took it upon himself to explain to a senior citizen sitting next to him why it was impossible for the older generation to understand his generation.

'You grew up in a different world, actually an almost primitive one' the student said, loud enough for many of those nearby to hear. 'The Young people of today grew up with television, jet planes, space travel, man walking on the moon. Our space probes have visited Mars. We have nuclear energy, ships and electric and hydrogen cars, cell phones. Computers with light-speed processing... And more.'

After a brief silence the senior citizen responded as follows:

'You're right, son. We didn't have those things when we were young ... so we invented them. Now, you arrogant little sh#*, what are you doing for the next generation?'

The applause was amazing

I've been around a few of those same type college grads in the last several years :lol::lol:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back