Why Linux users should worry about malware and what they can do about it

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
03_shipping_malware-100694090-large.jpg

I have little idea about Linux or what it is. But, I do know there are users here who use it. For that reason, I'm posting this piece.

Linux is a rock-solid computing platform, but it’s not indestructible or impervious to attack. By keeping an eye on your system and using appropriate defensive measures when warranted, you can ensure that your Linux PC (and the Windows PCs you share files with) stays squeaky clean of digital creepy crawlies.

Full piece w/links @ Why Linux users should worry about malware and what they can do about it

I use Linux on a few computers and don't worry about anything going wrong. My data goes to a separate partition, which gets backed up. Mostly due to me possibly hosing something, although I don't need to fiddle with the later releases. Or a drive failure.

I do use the firewall but that's it. Never had any trouble with viruses or anything. I don't share files with Window systems though so no hole there.

If something did go wrong I'd reinstall the distro of my choice and be back in business in a half hour. Unless I needed something now, in that case I'd boot into one of the other three distros on the machine.

I use Linux on a few computers and don't worry about anything going wrong. My data goes to a separate partition, which gets backed up. Mostly due to me possibly hosing something, although I don't need to fiddle with the later releases. Or a drive failure.

I do use the firewall but that's it. Never had any trouble with viruses or anything. I don't share files with Window systems though so no hole there.

If something did go wrong I'd reinstall the distro of my choice and be back in business in a half hour. Unless I needed something now, in that case I'd boot into one of the other three distros on the machine.
That could change overnight but you do what you want. :dunno:

The OP advice is beneficial to all computer users. It is not specific to linux. :)

The benefit of linux is that since it is not the major OS on the market, there are relatively few hackers trying to get into your stuff. Same with mac.

Windows is the low-hanging fruit on the desktop side, by far, and hackers are going to spend most of their efforts on that. Linux servers are also potential targets, but desktops are largely ignored.

So while a linux user is not impervious to malware or viruses, and neither is a mac user, as long as they don't "slut" themselves thinking they can't catch anything, they should be relatively safe even without virus-scan sw.

Of course, that could change tomorrow... :)

As the OP link said, you have to follow safe computing practices. And it doesn't matter what OS you have. But when I'm going to check important websites and am worried about malware tracking/logging me, I'm going to do it in linux.

Mint Cinnamon 18.1 is my current version. I dual-boot windows and linux based on my needs.

Last edited:

I always do. Same with Windows, Android, OSX, etc. but 5 years no problem so far. I'd rather reinstall Linux than Windows. Last I used MS all the programs had to be reinstalled to make it into the registry.

I always do. Same with Windows, Android, OSX, etc. but 5 years no problem so far. I'd rather reinstall Linux than Windows. Last I used MS all the programs had to be reinstalled to make it into the registry.
Okay but just for argument's sake, what if the malware/virus gets planted in your UEFI rootkit or BIOs? Reinstalling won't do a damn thing to get rid of it doubly so because you won't even know it's there it'll just survive the reinstall.

Okay but just for argument's sake, what if the malware/virus gets planted in your UEFI rootkit or BIOs? Reinstalling won't do a damn thing to get rid of it doubly so because you won't even know it's there it'll just survive the reinstall.
There's no argument to be had. What if a tree falls on my computer? If somehow the bios got corrupted I'd reflash it, replace the goddamn mobo, whatever. Mint updates pretty regularly though.

The point is that life is a calculated risk no matter what you choose to do. For me Linux is cheap and easy and I don't have to feed the MS machine. It sucks for gaming but if I wanted a gaming machine I wouldn't want it on this one that I use for work. I'd get a PS4 or Xbox.

There's no argument to be had. What if a tree falls on my computer? If somehow the bios got corrupted I'd reflash it, replace the goddamn mobo, whatever. Mint updates pretty regularly though.

The point is that life is a calculated risk no matter what you choose to do. For me Linux is cheap and easy and I don't have to feed the MS machine. It sucks for gaming but if I wanted a gaming machine I wouldn't want it on this one that I use for work. I'd get a PS4 or Xbox.
It was for argument sake, that's all.
Oh and nowadays you'd have to replace the mobo, that's how nasty the latest ones are besides the latest ones can bypass any AV, the trick to stopping them is to enable the SecureFlash option.

Oh and nowadays you'd have to replace the mobo, that's how nasty the latest ones are besides the latest ones can bypass any AV, the trick to stopping them is to enable the SecureFlash option.
I recently built a htpc using a ASRock mobo. I like the internet flash ability. I never like flashing the bios anyway. It might be common now though, it's been a while since I cobbled a computer together. Memory chips are all sexy now.

I recently built a htpc using a ASRock mobo. I like the internet flash ability. I never like flashing the bios anyway. It might be common now though, it's been a while since I cobbled a computer together. Memory chips are all sexy now.
Yeah, the manufacturers have a tendency to try and make their memory modules look fast........ :dunno:

I challenge you both to a game of HOMM III

and fuck your hardware! :)

I challenge you both to a game of HOMM III

and fuck your hardware! :)
My idea of gaming is an action packed adventure in solitaire. If I did gaming I'd get a gaming box but I don't care for intense action these days. Quake kinda finished me off.

me too, I love turn-based strategy games, like homm :)

03_shipping_malware-100694090-large.jpg

I have little idea about Linux or what it is. But, I do know there are users here who use it. For that reason, I'm posting this piece.

Linux is a rock-solid computing platform, but it’s not indestructible or impervious to attack. By keeping an eye on your system and using appropriate defensive measures when warranted, you can ensure that your Linux PC (and the Windows PCs you share files with) stays squeaky clean of digital creepy crawlies.

Full piece w/links @ Why Linux users should worry about malware and what they can do about it

The main thing is that most attacks these days are against the browser, not the OS. 'Nix builds are just as vulnerable as Windows or Mac, because it is the browser that is attacked.

I was kidding about the hw... HOMM III is one of the greatest games ever. Heroes of Might & Magic III.

Turn-based strategy game with RPG elements. So no crazy hardware required. Great graphics, music, and most importantly, gameplay. And there's a 1080p patch, which is gorgeous.

HOMM III was the best of the series imho, followed closely by HOMM II. If you ever want to play a truly great game that you'll keep wanting to take one more turn, forever, i suggest checking it out. It's truly addictive, if you can get into turn-based strategy.

I was kidding about the hw... HOMM III is one of the greatest games ever. Heroes of Might & Magic III.

Turn-based strategy game with RPG elements. So no crazy hardware required. Great graphics, music, and most importantly, gameplay. And there's a 1080p patch, which is gorgeous.

HOMM III was the best of the series imho, followed closely by HOMM II. If you ever want to play a truly great game that you'll keep wanting to take one more turn, forever, i suggest checking it out. It's truly addictive, if you can get into turn-based strategy.

I vaguely remember the first one, back from the earl 90's.

If you like that style of gaming, XCom, Enemy Unknown is stellar. (Xcom 2 is so-so)

Forum List

Back