Why John McCain Lost

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Life_Long_Dem!, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Life_Long_Dem!

Life_Long_Dem! Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I know there is already a post or 2 on here about it I just had to put in my 2 cents. Here are the reasons I think he lost:

1. He is a republican...it is a bad time in this country for anyone to say they are a republican thanks to 8 years of Dubya he has tainted the GOP

2. He went from being the maverick he once was to towing the GOP line lock step with Bush and the neocons

3. He promised a clean campaign at the start with no dirty politics then turned his campaign into the dirtiest most negative in recent memory including hiring some of the same people that worked on Bushs campaigns and smeared him in 2000

4. he flip flopped worse thhan people say Kerry and Clinton did combined! and his crazy antics such as his freaky face gestures at the debates and his silly stunt of "suspending" his campaign to "rush" back to washington during the start of the economic crisis turned ALOT of people off and showed him as very unstable.

thats just a few of the things I think killed him...again just my 2 cents worth.

2. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,307
    I agree with what you said. It's absolutely astounding that an unknown like Obama could become President, but Bush made it possible.

One more thing. Bush is similar to an LBJ-style Democrat. The United States doesn't need to Democratic Parties. The Republicans have a lot of soul-searching to do. If they decide to continue down the same path they've been on for the last few years, they'll eventually be replaced by another party. Ron Paul and others tried to get them back on track, but they wouldn't listen. I'm hoping they are replaced by conservative and libertarian politicians.

3. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,769
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVBY_SqzJtI]YouTube - You are STUCK ON STUPID[/ame]

4. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    I would add that he was never really the Republicans top choice for Presidential nominee. He was the moderates (and the left's) choice for Republican nominee. Many on the right didn't like McCain and found it very hard to "rally" behind him. He didn't bring out the evangelical voters and he didn't sway moderates because they were so thoroughly swayed by Obama.

I don't really believe that the Republicans could have picked a candidate who would have won given the circumstances of this election....but I do think it could have been closer with a candidate that more Republicans could support.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Lycurgus

Lycurgus Who is Obama, really...??

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258

McCain did a terrible job laying out and explaining plans, proposals and policies. Obama nailed them in terms of explaining, hence he sounded as though he understood the problems better and he gave off the impression that he was more organized and prepared to deal with them.

And what you posted above is all valid as well.

As for the party as a whole, true, so true, they have gotten so far away from the conservative platform.

6. Amanda

Amanda Calm as a Hindu cow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    I think McCains biggest mistake was not being himself. I think his record of crossing the aisle was his biggest assets and instead he ran as if he was trying to convince the hardcore conservatives to vote for him.

As much as I admire Sarah Palin in many ways I don't think she was the best choice for a running mate. I think she provided a bump for a while but the media seemed determined to bring her down and she wasn't really prepared for the job of VP so it wasn't that difficult for them to make her look foolish.

And of course, it was really a bad time to be a Republican running for president.

While I'm not really very excited to have Obama as my president I do hope it will lead to some healing of our country. I think racism is one of the most dividing forces at work against us and I'm hopeful that we can move toward a better future.

7. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    Two words: George Bush

8. Xenophon

Xenophon Gone and forgotten

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    No GoP candidate could have survived the financial meltdown, the public clearly blamed the incumbet president's party for it.

All other comentary on this is pointless, it was a unique event.

9. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    Yup.

The Republican party was already skating on thin ice thanks to the war in Iraq, the destruction of New Orleans, and the gradual erosion of the economy for far too many Americans.

But the financial meltdown, plus the fact that the Republican Party completely proved that they were just another insiders' BIG GOVERNMENT party when they supported the bail out, totally destroyed their chance to win this November.

10. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,684
    You forgot to add that McCain is a wrinkly old white guy and we wanted to show that we are not racist by voting for the black guy.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1