Why Jimmy Carter's Cancer announcement Was Groundbreaking

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
This really is a good, solid read, worth your time:

Why President Carter's Melanoma Announcement Was Groundbreaking

With candor that's typical for Carter, but remarkable compared to how other American presidents have announced illnesses, the former president described that he first sought treatment for a bad cold in May. Instead, doctors found a mass on his liver that turned out to be melanoma. Surgeons removed the cancer, as well as about one-tenth of his liver, in an operation August 3, but discovered that the cancer had spread to his brain. These four lesions, measuring about two millimeters, were treated with radiation on August 20 and then again every three weeks. Carter is also receiving a drug that enhances his immune system...

...Lichtenfeld isn’t part of Carter’s care team, but based on past research, he said the prognosis is generally not good for 90-year-olds presenting with metastatic, or spreading, melanoma. But Carter is wise to seek treatment, Lichtenfeld explained, given the emerging focus on genomics, or genetically-targeted treatments. In fact, Carter’s robust schedule, his energy levels and mental sharpness are all good signs.

“President Carter is certainly at the cutting edge of people in his generation who have survived and thrived reasonably well, their age notwithstanding,” he said.

Indeed, said Lichtenfeld, the fact that doctors were able to detect such tiny lesions on the brain — a feat that wouldn’t have been possible a few years ago — is a promising step in Carter’s journey to wellness, as is his use of new drugs for melanoma. Only time will tell whether the cutting edge therapies Carter is undergoing will prove successful in combatting his melanoma, said Lichtenfeld.

For extra reference: Genomics

Genomics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FYI.

I fail to see the significance of the OP, other than some retroactive rehabilitation of Carter's presidency. Many people have been open about their medical conditions

I hope he has a speedy recovery and a positive outcome because he has given so much to so many.
i dont think he has long DT....i read today they say the cancer has spread to his brain,if true his days are numbered....

The brain lesions are 2 mm in size. Anti-cancer treatments these days are better that they used to be. They can target the treatment to just those areas.

I doubt that the prognosis is good enough for him to live to be 100 but I also don't think that is so bad that he won't see this Christmas.

I hope he has a speedy recovery and a positive outcome because he has given so much to so many.
i dont think he has long DT....i read today they say the cancer has spread to his brain,if true his days are numbered....

The brain lesions are 2 mm in size. Anti-cancer treatments these days are better that they used to be. They can target the treatment to just those areas.

I doubt that the prognosis is good enough for him to live to be 100 but I also don't think that is so bad that he won't see this Christmas.
the guy who lived across from me was only 43 years old and was built like a mule and was diagnosed with liver cancer and his cancer spread to his brain and he was going to one of the best cancer places out here,even though he looked like he was doing ok,he lasted 3 months after the spread....jimmy's age may be a factor...

the guy who lived across from me was only 43 years old and was built like a mule and was diagnosed with liver cancer and his cancer spread to his brain and he was going to one of the best cancer places out here,even though he looked like he was doing ok,he lasted 3 months after the spread....jimmy's age may be a factor...

Different people handle the treatment is their own way. We have yet to see how he will do.

What matters most is that he is responsible about his treatment. I knew of someone who are "too busy" to bother with having the treatment at the recommended intervals and wanted them all at once so he could get back to work. He caused what was 95% curable to become fatal and died within 2 years.

Stupidity and arrogance are killers.

No one has ever accused Carter of either of those failings. Quite the opposite in fact. Carter strikes me as a survivor. His attitude alone is going to be an asset.

You Liberals think everything is "groundbreaking" and "courageous".

It's not.

It's like when you call everything racist and sexist and discriminatory, homophobic, disgusting and ignorant.

It isn't.

Please reserve the term Groundbreaking for something that truely is.

Different people handle the treatment is their own way. We have yet to see how he will do.

What matters most is that he is responsible about his treatment. I knew of someone who are "too busy" to bother with having the treatment at the recommended intervals and wanted them all at once so he could get back to work. He caused what was 95% curable to become fatal and died within 2 years.

No one has ever accused Carter of either of those failings. Quite the opposite in fact. Carter strikes me as a survivor. His attitude alone is going to be an asset.
the guy i am talking about did not want to die Dt he had 2 little girls....

Carter was a very nice man who was out of his depth as POTUS. That being said I fear his time left is very limited. Unless they do some exceptional work on him I fear he will be leaving us within the year.

the guy i am talking about did not want to die Dt he had 2 little girls....

The moron I was talking about didn't want to die either. He was just so arrogant that he believed that he knew better than the professionals who dealt with cancer on a daily basis.

Forum List

Back