Why Israel is Wrong

liberalogic

Jan 15, 2006
NJ
While Israel certainly has a right to defend itself, here are some reasons why their actions are wrong:

1) The crime does not fit the punishment. This entire war began with the kidnapping of Israeli soldiers. They were being held as hostages in a failed attempt to exchange them for Hezbollah supporters imprisoned in Israel. If we think back to the late 70s, when Iran invaded the US embassy and took hundreds of hostages, the US did not resort to total warfare. We realized the consequences of such actions, and exerted as much diplomatic strength as possible.

2) Israel has exposed the depth of its arsenal to the more dangerous enemy--Iran and Syria. Because of this, Iran will be better prepared to combat Israel in this inevitable showdown.

3) Israel has finally alienated the entire Arab world. While most of Lebanon was obviously not fond of Israel, the strongest opposition was Hezbollah. Yet, Israeli attacks have killed, injured, and displaced countless Lebanese citizens. When they look to their homes and businesses, which have been reduced to debris, they will always remember that Israel is responsible. They do not see this as a casualty of war; instead, this only fuels their hatred to a new level.

Besides Lebanon, the rest of the Islamic world turns on the tv to see the lifeless bodies of innocent children. They realize that their blood is worthless and are degraded as human beings. They instinctively demand revenge. Plus, they see Israel's ground-war as an imperial threat (even though this is not Israel's intention).

This animosity plays right into the hands of Iran, whose goal it is to unite the Islamic world under its leadership to recapture the Middle East. Initially, this goal would've been more difficult because Iran is overwhelmingly Shiite, while the rest of the Islamic world favors the Sunni sect. This difference, though, becomes minimal after Israel's latest attacks. Thus, most of the Middle East will strongly support Iran, which creates a tremendous problem for the Jewish nation due to its location on the map.

4) Israel has destroyed not just Hezbollah, but Lebanon itself. This was a potential partner in peace (as it was fairly democratic), but Israel has obliterated the capital, which will scare tourists for years to come and, therefore, deplete the Lebanese economy. This creates a breedingground for instability and invites the same radical insurgencies that we see in Iraq.

Israel is not vulnerable to a military encounter with Hezbollah. Their resources dwarf any attack that the terrorist organization can make. It is the suicide bombing which will forever plague Israel. The peace and security that they hope for on their own land cannot be achieved by adding fuel to the fire. Yes, they can weaken Hezbollah, but no matter what, there will ALWAYS be countless martyrs waiting to meet their virgins.

1. this war began in 1947 when arabs killed jews on the first day the un created the nation of israel
2. so, israel will still kick their ass
3. yes before this the arab world liked them
4. hezbollah is an elected party in lebanon, actions have consequences

tell me was hezbollah wrong?

liberalogic said:
While Israel certainly has a right to defend itself, here are some reasons why their actions are wrong:

1) The crime does not fit the punishment. This entire war began with the kidnapping of Israeli soldiers. They were being held as hostages in a failed attempt to exchange them for Hezbollah supporters imprisoned in Israel. If we think back to the late 70s, when Iran invaded the US embassy and took hundreds of hostages, the US did not resort to total warfare. We realized the consequences of such actions, and exerted as much diplomatic strength as possible.

2) Israel has exposed the depth of its arsenal to the more dangerous enemy--Iran and Syria. Because of this, Iran will be better prepared to combat Israel in this inevitable showdown.

3) Israel has finally alienated the entire Arab world. While most of Lebanon was obviously not fond of Israel, the strongest opposition was Hezbollah. Yet, Israeli attacks have killed, injured, and displaced countless Lebanese citizens. When they look to their homes and businesses, which have been reduced to debris, they will always remember that Israel is responsible. They do not see this as a casualty of war; instead, this only fuels their hatred to a new level.

Besides Lebanon, the rest of the Islamic world turns on the tv to see the lifeless bodies of innocent children. They realize that their blood is worthless and are degraded as human beings. They instinctively demand revenge. Plus, they see Israel's ground-war as an imperial threat (even though this is not Israel's intention).

This animosity plays right into the hands of Iran, whose goal it is to unite the Islamic world under its leadership to recapture the Middle East. Initially, this goal would've been more difficult because Iran is overwhelmingly Shiite, while the rest of the Islamic world favors the Sunni sect. This difference, though, becomes minimal after Israel's latest attacks. Thus, most of the Middle East will strongly support Iran, which creates a tremendous problem for the Jewish nation due to its location on the map.

4) Israel has destroyed not just Hezbollah, but Lebanon itself. This was a potential partner in peace (as it was fairly democratic), but Israel has obliterated the capital, which will scare tourists for years to come and, therefore, deplete the Lebanese economy. This creates a breedingground for instability and invites the same radical insurgencies that we see in Iraq.

Israel is not vulnerable to a military encounter with Hezbollah. Their resources dwarf any attack that the terrorist organization can make. It is the suicide bombing which will forever plague Israel. The peace and security that they hope for on their own land cannot be achieved by adding fuel to the fire. Yes, they can weaken Hezbollah, but no matter what, there will ALWAYS be countless martyrs waiting to meet their virgins.

manu1959 said:
1. this war began in 1947 when arabs killed jews on the first day the un created the nation of israel
2. so, israel will still kick their ass
3. yes before this the arab world liked them
4. hezbollah is an elected party in lebanon, actions have consequences

tell me was hezbollah wrong?

Dude... don't even bother egging her on... everytime she posts she exposes how naive she is...

liberalogic said:

1)Crime doesnt fit the punishment? War isnt crime. Its war. Its people who are trying to fight you into submission or death. Im tired of this "not fit the punishment." They arent trying to punish Hezbollah. They are trying to prevent them from every attacking them again.

Also, Carter did attempt military action to rescue the hostages, but bungled it so badly he was afraid to try again.

2)I dont think we have seen nearly the extent of Israels Arsenal as you seem to think. And besides, I think we will be just involved with any fight against Iran when it comes to it.

3)You are falling for the Hezbollah propaganda. Lebanese citizens have been killed because:

a)they are members of Hezbollah.
b)Hezbollah uses them as human shields; or,
c)Hezbollah murders them to blame the Israelis in their propaganda war and people who want Israel to be the bad guy and blame things on the jews eat it up hook line and sinker.

4)Lebanon will be rebuilt. And without the influence of Hezbollah. And it will be much better for it.

Liberalogic,

Do you realize that hezbollah is a terrorist organization? What right do they have to exist? If they were a band of muslims existing for any purpose other than to cause harm to a nation, then their existence would be legit. I hope you do realize that they are, in fact, not a nation but a faction. I've said it once and I'll say it again: Israel is advancing the war on terrorism declared formally by President Bush after 9/11.

President Bush also said something to the extent of, 'terrorist sympathizers as well as terrorists themselves are enemies of America.' (Not an exact quote). You, defending hezbollah and denouncing our ally, are a terrorist sympathizer as far as I'm concerned. Same with every left-winger who demands fair treatment and rights for convicted terrorists at Guantanamo. President Bush should stick to his guns and ensure that you are dealt with accordingly.

I don't think you had as much to say against a western democratic nation after 9/11. Sure, it was the difference of thousands of people, but is it not the same principle? If someone steals any money from me, be it 50 cents or 50 dollars, they'll get the equal share of ass-kicking. Why is this any different? Was hezbollah not just as unprovoked as al qaeda was when we were attacked?

1)Crime doesnt fit the punishment? War isnt crime. Its war. Its people who are trying to fight you into submission or death. Im tired of this "not fit the punishment." They arent trying to punish Hezbollah. They are trying to prevent them from every attacking them again.

Also, Carter did attempt military action to rescue the hostages, but bungled it so badly he was afraid to try again.

I'm not implying that this should be resolved judicially. I'm simply pointing out the fact that this began as a small hostage situation, which does not demand total warfare.

The magnitude of "war" that Carter attempted (sending in helicopters) versus the magnitude of the current war are polar opposites. If we had conducted a full scale invasion, then the comparison would be weak. But that was not the case.

2)I dont think we have seen nearly the extent of Israels Arsenal as you seem to think. And besides, I think we will be just involved with any fight against Iran when it comes to it.

Fair enough. But Israel's invasion of Lebanon is simply a diversion from the inevitable war with Iran.

3)You are falling for the Hezbollah propaganda. Lebanese citizens have been killed because:

a)they are members of Hezbollah.
b)Hezbollah uses them as human shields; or,
c)Hezbollah murders them to blame the Israelis in their propaganda war and people who want Israel to be the bad guy and blame things on the jews eat it up hook line and sinker.

I don't know about that. Yes, there is propaganda, but they've been hit pretty hard. My point, though, was not even about Israel's justification of these casualties. These deaths (and the images that we see on tv), add fuel to the fire and unites most of the Middle East with Iran. This unity would've been more difficult to achieve before the war because of sectarian differences.

4)Lebanon will be rebuilt. And without the influence of Hezbollah. And it will be much better for it.

Yes, it will be rebuilt, but that doesn't mean that they will restore stability. This can easily turn out to be another Iraq-- insurgents thrive in these chaotic atmospheres.

Thank you for at least reading these points with an open mind.

Semper Fi said:
Liberalogic,

Do you realize that hezbollah is a terrorist organization? What right do they have to exist? If they were a band of muslims existing for any purpose other than to cause harm to a nation, then their existence would be legit. I hope you do realize that they are, in fact, not a nation but a faction. I've said it once and I'll say it again: Israel is advancing the war on terrorism declared formally by President Bush after 9/11.

President Bush also said something to the extent of, 'terrorist sympathizers as well as terrorists themselves are enemies of America.' (Not an exact quote). You, defending hezbollah and denouncing our ally, are a terrorist sympathizer as far as I'm concerned. Same with every left-winger who demands fair treatment and rights for convicted terrorists at Guantanamo. President Bush should stick to his guns and ensure that you are dealt with accordingly.

I don't think you had as much to say against a western democratic nation after 9/11. Sure, it was the difference of thousands of people, but is it not the same principle? If someone steals any money from me, be it 50 cents or 50 dollars, they'll get the equal share of ass-kicking. Why is this any different? Was hezbollah not just as unprovoked as al qaeda was when we were attacked?

Okay, your patriotism has blinded your here. Just because I say that Israel did not respond correctly, does not mean that I am a terrorist sympathizer. That label is too often slapped on liberals without carefully considering their ideas.

I am not defending Hezbollah's existence or its actions. I'm simply saying that this invasion, and the destruction that has followed, plays right into the hands of Tehran. I think it was a bad tactical decision by Israel.

As I've said before, terrorism will never be destroyed in the Middle East militarily. It is simply too widespread and has too many fanatical followers. While Israel will weaken the terrorist group, they will NEVER be safe from the suicide bombers, which is really the ultimate threat to their security.

liberalogic said:
Okay, your patriotism has blinded your here. Just because I say that Israel did not respond correctly, does not mean that I am a terrorist sympathizer. That label is too often slapped on liberals without carefully considering their ideas.

I am not defending Hezbollah's existence or its actions. I'm simply saying that this invasion, and the destruction that has followed, plays right into the hands of Tehran. I think it was a bad tactical decision by Israel.

As I've said before, terrorism will never be destroyed in the Middle East militarily. It is simply too widespread and has too many fanatical followers. While Israel will weaken the terrorist group, they will NEVER be safe from the suicide bombers, which is really the ultimate threat to their security.

These weren't suicide bombers... these were missiles aimed at Haifa.

You were saying?

jillian said:
These weren't suicide bombers... these were missiles aimed at Haifa.

You were saying?

I know they were rockets: my point is that the destruction that these rockets have and will cause is minimal compared to the suicide attacks that will continue even after the war is over.

liberalogic said:

You don't fight a war with equal force and surrender an advantage. Tactically stupid. You are wrong.

Incorrect. Iran will be better prepared to combat the entire Estern World because no one is doing a thing to stop them from developing nuclear weapons except blow hot air their way.

NEWSFLASH: Israel was ALREADY alienated from the Arab world. The fact that Israel's attack against a terrorist organization is portrayed as an attack against the Lebanese population is bullshit, left-wing propaganda. I'm sure the terrorists thank you for your support.

Of course Israel isn't vulnerable to a military encounter with Hezbollah. It's why Hezbollah hides out among the civilian populace. Whether Israel is vulnerable to a military encounter is irrelevant as the issue is Hezbollah firing rockets into populated areas of Israel. According to your line of thought, stopping this is not as important as keeping a feigned peace.

GMAFB.

GunnyL said:
You don't fight a war with equal force and surrender an advantage. Tactically stupid. You are wrong.

Not my point. The situation was unnecessarily and quickly escalated by Israel's reaction.

GunnyL said:
NEWSFLASH: Israel was ALREADY alienated from the Arab world. The fact that Israel's attack against a terrorist organization is portrayed as an attack against the Lebanese population is bullshit, left-wing propaganda. I'm sure the terrorists thank you for your support.

Again you've missed the point. Of course they all hate the Jews. That's nothing new. The point is that Iran would've had more difficulty rallying the rest of the Islamic nations up under its control due to the Sunni Shiite difference. That difference no longer matters after Israel's attacks, and therefore, plays right into the hands of Tehran.

liberalogic said:
GunnyL said:
Not my point. The situation was unnecessarily and quickly escalated by Israel's reaction.

It's only unneccessary if you think rockets landing daily in your yard is cool.

GunnyL said:
Again you've missed the point. Of course they all hate the Jews. That's nothing new. The point is that Iran would've had more difficulty rallying the rest of the Islamic nations up under its control due to the Sunni Shiite difference. That difference no longer matters after Israel's attacks, and therefore, plays right into the hands of Tehran.

I don't see that they would have much trouble at all. The only Arab nations not openly hostile to Israel are teh ones not getting freebies from the US for doing so.

liberalogic said:

First, Taking out terrorists is unnecessary?! These people captured Israel soldiers and lobbed missiles into Israel. And you think Israel taking out this threat is unnecessary?!? Seriously, Do you any reason to convince us that this was unnecessary other then the fact that you keep saying it was?!

Second, Iran isnt rallying the Islamic world. Quite the opposite. most of the arab states are hoping this turns around to seriously weaken Iran. What on earth in anything thats been going on has convinced you that the muslim world is uniting behind Iran? Most of them are scared to death of the Iranians.

This is a gift to the western world. Because it may provide us with a reason to take out Iran.

Mr.Conley said:
Israel has a right to defend itself from attack, and it was attacked, but its response is wrong. What they're doing is only going to help Hizbollah in the long run.

The response was not wrong. The response was the one available to them. As long as Israel is killing them, it isn't going to help Hezbollah one wit.

It's only unneccessary if you think rockets landing daily in your yard is cool.[/QUOTE]

Of course that's not a good thing. But the rockets were in response to Israeli air strikes. The rockets won't be launched forever, but the suicide bombings have no limit.

GunnyL said:
I don't see that they would have much trouble at all. The only Arab nations not openly hostile to Israel are teh ones not getting freebies from the US for doing so.

You underestimate the division in the Islamic land. They all hate Israel. But Iran is Shiite and most of the Islamic world is Sunni. Look at what's happening in Iraq right now-- the two sides don't get along. But after Israel's massive invasion, this difference becomes meaningless and gives Iran the power that it's looking for.

First, Taking out terrorists is unnecessary?! These people captured Israel soldiers and lobbed missiles into Israel. And you think Israel taking out this threat is unnecessary?!? Seriously, Do you any reason to convince us that this was unnecessary other then the fact that you keep saying it was?!

Second, Iran isnt rallying the Islamic world. Quite the opposite. most of the arab states are hoping this turns around to seriously weaken Iran. What on earth in anything thats been going on has convinced you that the muslim world is uniting behind Iran? Most of them are scared to death of the Iranians.

This is a gift to the western world. Because it may provide us with a reason to take out Iran.

ITA. As I have previously posted, this could actually be a ploy to draw Iran out into the open, justifying Israel bombing the crap out of Iran's nuclear facilities. I wouldn't be surprised.

No-- allowing it to escalate to this level was unnecessary due to the future repercussions.

They may dislike Iran, but the overriding goal to eliminate Israel will foster unity over division.

liberalogic said:
It's only unneccessary if you think rockets landing daily in your yard is cool.

Of course that's not a good thing. But the rockets were in response to Israeli air strikes. The rockets won't be launched forever, but the suicide bombings have no limit.

Right, and the liberal argument to this is to just "ignore it." Hard to ignore watching a school bus or a wedding full of people go up in smoke.

An alternative to THAT useless idea is to completely destroy the attackers.

You underestimate the division in the Islamic land. They all hate Israel. But Iran is Shiite and most of the Islamic world is Sunni. Look at what's happening in Iraq right now-- the two sides don't get along. But after Israel's massive invasion, this difference becomes meaningless and gives Iran the power that it's looking for.[/QUOTE]

Another typical liberal argument. I don't understand or underestimate if I don't agree. Wrong. BTW, how much time do you have on actual Arab soil?

When it comes to Israel, before their attack or after, the division doesn't exist. It is YOU who doesn't understand, apparently. The objection to Israel existing in Arab land is Arab, not Muslim. The militant Muslims are just the ones wo wish to perpetuate a state of hostility because it is what they do. No war, they're out of business and have to get real jobs.

The Arab governments cannot openly side with Israel against Muslims as the ignorant Arab street would howl with rage...however... behind the scenes they gave their blessing and are providing plenty of intel to help nail Hezbollah.

Thank goodness the Islamo's don't like eachother any more than they like us infidels and the moderate Sunni's will work against Iran spreading its Shia tentacles around the Middle East... even if that means tolerating Israel bombing Lebanon to smithereens if necessary.

New Topics

Forum List

Back