Why isn't the Super Bowl on Saturday Night…when it makes sense?

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
I am not a sports fan. I am just wondering why the biggest sports event of the year is on a night that has a work day the next day?

I am not a sports fan. I am just wondering why the biggest sports event of the year is on a night that has a work day the next day?

How does what's happening the next day affect the present?

I dunno about "biggest sports event of the year" -- until this thread popped up I wasn't even aware it was due anytime soon. If you had told me it happened last week it wouldn't have surprised me either.

super bowl.jpg

I suppose it has to do with tradition. It has always been called Super Bowl Sunday. Saturday has normally been the day for college football while Sunday was pretty much left for the NFL games.

Makes it easier for football fans to Monday morning quarterback if they only have to remember the game for 12-14 hours

It just seems like it would be nice, if you enjoy football, to be able to have the next day off….if you normally have it off that is. Like having the day after Christmas off…..

When the Buffalo Bills were in the Super Bowl, the local supermarket (where I worked checkout) closed prior to kick off so everyone could go home and watch. When that same supermarket was open on Easter Sunday, boy did I get an earful from one church going lady. Guno's right--it is our new religious holiday.
I've also heard crime goes way down on Superbowl Sunday. Apparently EVERYONE is watching.

It just seems like it would be nice, if you enjoy football, to be able to have the next day off….if you normally have it off that is. Like having the day after Christmas off…..

Yeah. Monday night football and Thursday night football have been hard to handle alright.

I dunno about "biggest sports event of the year" -- until this thread popped up I wasn't even aware it was due anytime soon. If you had told me it happened last week it wouldn't have surprised me either.

The Super Bowl is usually the most viewed broadcast of the year in the US. The most watched broadcasts in US history are Super Bowls.

Super Bowl Most-Watched U.S. TV Event Of All-Time With 111.5 Million Viewers

It isn't the top worldwide, although those numbers are apparently difficult to be sure of so, for example, the World Cup's claims of 900 million viewers may be greatly exaggerated. :dunno:

The Super Bowl is usually the most viewed broadcast of the year in the US. The most watched broadcasts in US history are Super Bowls.

Super Bowl Most-Watched U.S. TV Event Of All-Time With 111.5 Million Viewers

It isn't the top worldwide, although those numbers are apparently difficult to be sure of so, for example, the World Cup's claims of 900 million viewers may be greatly exaggerated. :dunno:

Why did you bring up the World Cup...that's soccer....we are talking actual sports here......

Because iirc Saturday night has the lowest TV ratings of any day of the week.

Yeah...but if it was the Super Bowl, they would actually get the same ratings as they get for Sunday night...maybe even more since people don't have to get up early the next day...

When the Buffalo Bills were in the Super Bowl, the local supermarket (where I worked checkout) closed prior to kick off so everyone could go home and watch. When that same supermarket was open on Easter Sunday, boy did I get an earful from one church going lady. Guno's right--it is our new religious holiday.
I've also heard crime goes way down on Superbowl Sunday. Apparently EVERYONE is watching.

It is a religious holiday in that we definitely DO have a national religion and that is the Religion of Money. The TV speaks, the masses obey. Domini domini.

Apparently everyone is. I happened to be taking a flight a few years ago and the airport at my layover was completely deserted, to a degree I've never seen. Turned out it was Stupor Bowl Sunday.

What do you need the next day off for? Watch the game, game over, go to bed.

Forum List

Back