why isn't mother teresa a saint yet?

People are so deparate to make this woman a saint, they will ignore anything she does. She is NOT and NEVER WAS a saint.

If you guys are so sure that she is this saint, perhaps you should do a little research on your own to verify your magical feelings aren't being "misplaced".

Rejection of Pascal's Wager: Christian Missionaries

Mother Teresa
In India too, the success of Christian missions have been limited to the marginal groups: the untouchables, the hill tribes and the "Anglo-Indians" (Indians with mixed parentage).[19] Some missions in India had tended to concentrate on proselytizing through the provision of social services to the poor and needy. While this is certainly a better method than the ethnocidal methods of the fundamentalists, it should not be forgotten that these social services in general play a subserviant role to theology. The mission once headed by Mother Teresa (1910-1997) is a case in point.
Born in Albania in 1910, Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu, became a nun and a missionary to India. She subsequently changed her name to Teresa. Her work among the poor in Calcutta attracted the world wide attention culminating with a Nobel Peace Price in 1979. [20] Yet her work has been criticised as not one based on the alleviation of suffering but on the morbid theological celebration of pain and suffering. Christopher Hitchens outlined these rather disturbing facts in his book The Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice (1995):

Dr. Robin Fox, editor of the medical journal The Lancet, visited Mother Teresa's operation in Calcutta in 1994. He reported that he was very "disturbed" by what he saw. There was little anesthesia to be seen and a near total neglect of medically sound diagnosis. Why were not the sisters given proper training in simple diagnosis as well as in managing pain? Because according to Dr. Fox, Mother Teresa "preferred providence to planning; her rules are designed to prevent any drift towards materialism."[21]

Mary Loudon, a volunteer in Calcutta, had even worse things to say about Mother Teresa's operation. She reported seeing in the Home for the Dying more than a hundred men and women all dying and not been given much medical care. Pain killers used do not go beyond aspirins. The nuns were rinsing the needles used for drips with plain tap water. When Loudon asked them why they were not sterilizing the needles, the reply was simply they had no time and that there was "no point". She also recounted the case of a fifteen year old boy who was dying because of a treatable kidney complaint. All that was needed was a cab fare to take the boy to a proper hospital. But Mother Teresa's peons refused to do so, for "if they do it for one, they had to do it for everybody."[22]

Susan Sheilds, who worked for almost ten years as a member of Mother Teresa's order, subsequently left the movement because of the atrocious negligence she witnessed there. The order's obsession with poverty means that the nuns and volunteers works under conditions of austerity, rigidity and harshness. Due to Mother Teresa's fame, Ms. Sheilds reported that the charity had around US$50 million in their bank account in the US. The donations kept pouring in, yet little of these were used to procure medicine or to provide better health care for the suffering. The nuns were rarely allowed to spend money on the poor they are trying to help. [23]

To Mother Teresa, like all other missionaries, spiritual well being over-rides everything else. As Ms. Sheilds reported, "Mother Teresa taught her nuns how to secretly baptised those who were dying. Sisters were to ask each person in danger of death if he wanted a 'ticket to heaven'. An affirmative reply was to mean consent to baptism. The sister was then to pretend she was just cooling the person's forehead with a wet cloth, while in fact she was baptizing him, saying quietly the necessary words. Secrecy was important so that it would not come to be known that Mother Teresa's sisters were baptising Hindus and Muslims."[24]

Perhaps a poignant summary of Mother Teresa's mission can be seen in a story recounted by herself. A dying man was in terrible pain. She told him "You are suffering like Christ on the cross. So Jesus must be kissing you." To which the man replied: "Then please tell Jesus to stop kissing me."

Mother Teresa

Questionable relationships
Critics regreted Mother Teresa's relationship with the right-wing dictator of Haiti Jean-Claude Duvalier, as when she received the Haitian Légion d'Honneur in 1981, and with Communist dictator of Albania Enver Hoxha, as when she visited his grave in 1987.
They complain that she has accepted donations from Charles Keating, who stole in excess of US$252 million in the Savings and Loan scandal of the 1980s, and from the British publisher Robert Maxwell, who embezzled UK£450 million from his employees' pension funds. Critics alleged she interceded on Maxwell's behalf, wrote a letter to the court urging leniency and refused to give back donation when privately asked by the district attorney.

Defender claim the received those donation before thefts were uncovered and that she had to lobby for her cause, therefore had to deal with dictators in poor countries and with thieves in rich ones.

Substandard medical care
Dr. Robin Fox, editor of the British medical journal The Lancet visited the Home for Dying Destitutes in Calcutta and described the medical care the patients received as "haphazard". He observed that sisters and volunteers, some of whom had no medical knowledge, had to take decisions about patient care, because of the lack of doctors in the hospice. Dr. Fox specifically held Teresa responsible for conditions in this home, and observed that her order did not distinguish between curable and incurable patients, so that people who could otherwise survive would be at risk of dying from infections and lack of treatment.
Fox conceded that the regimen he observed included cleanliness, the tending of wounds and sores, and kindness, but he noted that the sisters' approach to managing pain was "disturbingly lacking". The formulary at the facility Fox visited lacked strong analgesics which he felt clearly separated Mother Teresa's approach from the hospice movement. There have been a series of other reports documenting inattention to medical care in the order's facilities. Similar points of view have also been expressed by some former volunteers who worked for Teresa's order.

The dark side of Mother Teresa | Dangerous Intersection

You make me sick,such nice person u till insult her,there are 1billions indian admit her works,that Dr.Robin have ask those poor and banned from society's people's feeling?Fuck him off,because ur heart is dirty doedn't give u right to make others dirty as u do.

In verse 18 Jesus identifys Peter as the the one who confirms his diety (verse 16) via the spirit

Jesus is just saying that his church will be built on His diety.

And Jesus is NOT confirming any special status on Peter.

The "Rock" Jesus is refering to. Is Peter's statement. Not Peter himself.

Uh no,
18And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.

The very name Peter has the meaning of rock, and he is saying he will build his church on him.

No special status on Peter?

19I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be[f] bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be[g] loosed in heaven."
I didn't see him giving that status to any other person. Which makes Peter somewhat special and unique.

If you notice, five verses later, Jesus refers to Peter as Satan.

So I seriously doubt Jesus would pin his hopes on a man that he rebuked and called Satan and offensive to him..

You seriously doubt Jesus said the words he just said a few verses earlier, where he clearly did do just that?

Its not as though Jesus rebuked and cast Peter out as an evil person whom he could no longer trust. In fact the very next chapter, Jesus is with Peter, James and John when they are going up into the mountain.

You make me sick,such nice person u till insult her,there are 1billions indian admit her works,that Dr.Robin have ask those poor and banned from society's people's feeling?Fuck him off,because ur heart is dirty doedn't give u right to make others dirty as u do.

I suspect you were one of her patients. Good luck on that.

You need to put everything into context Ryan.

Christians have a bad habit of taking verses out of context and then building a theology out of the isolated verse.

Here is both the verses before and after the one you cited.

Matthew 16: 14-23

14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.
15 He saith unto them, But whom say aye that I am?
16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
19 And I will agive unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
20 Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.
21 ¶ From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.
22 Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.
23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan : thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

In verse 18 Jesus identifys Peter as the the one who confirms his diety (verse 16) via the spirit

Jesus is just saying that his church will be built on His diety.

And Jesus is NOT confirming any special status on Peter.

The "Rock" Jesus is refering to. Is Peter's statement. Not Peter himself.

If you notice, five verses later, Jesus refers to Peter as Satan.

So I seriously doubt Jesus would pin his hopes on a man that he rebuked and called Satan and offensive to him..

As I understand Sainthood in Catholicism it it recognition for life that reflect God's glory. I believe Catholics consider John the Baptist the last true Prophet yet recognize holy people after the New Testament through the canonization process. Other Christian groups have some belief in Saints where a life was honored. Judaism of course is the source of most Prophets and I believe even within the Muslim there is a belief some type of "Sufi Saints" that are revered much like Christian Saints. I do not see a problem with this recognition of the faithful after the Old Testament.

In Matthew 16:21-23, which you provided, has Christ foretelling his coming trials. Simon Peter protests and Christ admonishes him to put the lesser ways behind Christ's way. I believe that Christ was speaking figuratively and that Simon Peter is seeking the wrong way. Of course later Simon Peter would be martyred in Christ's name.

i know the process has been started but why is the church lagging on this....and what will she be the patron saint of? she died in 1997...

here is an article on how one becomes a saint

HowStuffWorks "The Steps of Canonization"

yes the thread title should read....why isnt.....

The nobel Committee thought she was good. Nobel Peace Prize 1979, Mother Teresa
Yeah, but they don't award sainthood.

(And don't you start in with Obama....lol)

Hey I was good about the Obama/Peace Prize thing (i thought I was anyway :))

The Bible never endorses the practice of awarding people sainthood.

It is an unscriptual invention of the Catholic Church.
Since when did you give a shit about Christianity or the Bible?
I was a Christian for many years and have read the Bible cover to cover many times.

I have taught Sunday school and held weekly Bible study groups.

Heck, I almost went to seminary :eek:

Thankfully, I found Islam and learned the real Truth!!!! :eusa_angel:

Last edited:
In which case, why bother arguing the intricacies of an inherently corrupt, and uninspired, book at all? Is not the Bible considered a human perversion of God's teaching in Islam?

Granny says, "Dat's right - she finally gonna get her halo...

Mother Teresa to be canonized Sept. 4
March 15, 2016 -- A ceremony elevating Mother Teresa to sainthood is scheduled for Sept. 4, the Vatican announced Tuesday.
A celebrated and visible symbol of Christian charity until her death in 1997, Mother Teresa moved from present-day Macedonia to India in 1929 and founded the Missionaries of Charity in 1950. There, she ministered to the sick and dying in some of the poorest areas of the country. After her death, Pope John Paul II waived the usual five-year waiting period and began the long process of research and investigation leading to canonization.

Mother-Teresa-to-be-canonized-Sept-4.jpg

Mother Teresa is one of five Catholics who will be named as saints in 2016. In the announcement Tuesday, Pope Francis said that two founders of religious orders would also be elevated to sainthood in ceremonies on June 5: Stanislaus Papczynski, 17th century Polish founder of the Marian Fathers of the Immaculate Conception and Mary Elizabeth Hesselblad of Sweden, who re-founded the Brigettine order in Sweden after she converted to Catholicism while living in the United States.

Argentinian "gaucho priest" Jose Brochero, who gained fame for charitable work during a cholera epidemic in the 1860s and 1870s, and Jose Sanchez del Rio, who was martyred in 1928 for refusal to renounce his faith during Mexico's anti-Catholic Cristero War, will be elevated to sainthood on Oct. 16.

Mother Teresa to be canonized Sept. 4

Please, point out to me, in the Bible, where it says that humans have the right to ordain other people as "saints."

you make me sick, insulting such a nice person, there are billions of indian (red dot not woo woo) who admire her works, has dr. robin ask those poor and banned from society how they feel? fuck off, you have a dirty heart and try to make others as dirty as you are....

your welcome

i know the process has been started but why is the church lagging on this....and what will she be the patron saint of? she died in 1997...

here is an article on how one becomes a saint

HowStuffWorks "The Steps of Canonization"

yes the thread title should read....why isnt.....
All believers are Saints. New Testament uses Saint 67 times, each time referring to ALL Christians. Man does not have a say so in such matters.

Forum List

Back