why isn't mother teresa a saint yet?

i know they are waiting on the miracle stuff but seems they are dragging their feet....of course i am not catholic and all

I was raised a Catholic, have been surrounded by Catholics, even had an uncle who was a priest, another who was a monk, and an aunt who was a nun, so I know a little something about the religion.

My view is that the whole sainthood thing is a way to sell the religion, confirm the supernatural nature of the faith for the believers who dearly need that, and reward the truly dedicated servants who have have done the most to popularize the religion. I find the 'process' to apply sainthood to someone a little silly (I do not mean to belittle the religion, but it will be seen as such, to that I say: too bad).

Take for example the 'verified cure' of the Bengal woman whose tumor was miraculously healed because of a Mother Teresa medallion was placed on it.
I mean, really. The woman had a tubercular lump, and she was treated with traditional medicine. The doctors and medicine healed her. Even her husband says that. But that didn't stop the Vatican (who never even talked to the doctor who treated her) from calling it a miracle. Like I said, silly. This is just one example.

Admire the woman for the selfless work she did to help the afflicted, but for God's sake (literally), I wish logical people would not feel the need to suspend reality to make mortal creatures into supernatural entities and dedicate their lives to believing in fairy tales. Live a good life because it The Right Thing To Do.

Some people require more than that to sustain them, I acknowledge that, but I'll never truly understand those Maher referred to as Religulous.

Mother Teresa was NO saint.

She used to vacation at the homes of Jean-Claude Duvalier and other right wing dictators.

Many complaints were lodged against her for keeping families from see sick patients. The patients were kept in squalor and pain medication was withheld. Remember, many Catholics believe that pain and suffering will bring you into heaven in the “next life”.
I know better. Pain is pain and there is no magical afterlife. When you die, you die.

The money for medicine "miraculously" disappeared, yet the convents her and her followers lived in were always luxurious.

The myth of Mother Teresa is exactly that - a myth. This is why the Vatican is dragging their feet. THEY know the truth.

Mother Teresa may well beat all records for the length of time to achieve Sainthood, but the process is exhaustive and lengthy and generally takes many decades and usually centuries before evidence is declared adequate that the candidate for sainthood is worthy. Obviously the Church is interested in maintaining the integrity of the process, and an exemplary and selfless life alone is not sufficient--there much be evidence of annointing by God and verifiable miracles, for instance. I am confident that Teresa will meet all criteria and expect that this will be within the next 10 to 20 years.

Mother Teresa may well beat all records for the length of time to achieve Sainthood, but the process is exhaustive and lengthy and generally takes many decades and usually centuries before evidence is declared adequate that the candidate for sainthood is worthy. Obviously the Church is interested in maintaining the integrity of the process, and an exemplary and selfless life alone is not sufficient--there much be evidence of annointing by God and verifiable miracles, for instance. I am confident that Teresa will meet all criteria and expect that this will be within the next 10 to 20 years.

Do some research on Mother Teresa and I suspect you won't have such a positive outlook. There are those that are deserving, and she isn't one of them.

Do some research on Mother Teresa and I suspect you won't have such a positive outlook. There are those that are deserving, and she isn't one of them.

You should probably do some research beyond anti-religious, anti-Catholic, anti-Christian blogs and propaganda. I have actually done some research on Mother Teresa and your negative assessment of her simply does not hold up against the hard evidence. I am not and have never been Roman Catholic, but one of my fears was to be in line behind Mother Teresa at the Pearly Gates and hear it said that she didn't do enough to get in. I don't think we will find another human being more worthy of sainthood than she is.

Mother Teresa: "The Ghoul of Calcutta"

After Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi's suspension of civil liberties in 1975, Mother Teresa said: "People are happier. There are more jobs. There are no strikes." These approving comments were seen as a result of the friendship between Teresa and the Congress Party. Mother Teresa's comments were even criticized outside India within Catholic media. (Chatterjee, p. 276.)

An Indian-born writer living in Britain, Dr. Aroup Chatterjee, who had briefly worked in one of Mother Teresa's homes, began investigations into the finances and other practices of Teresa's order. In November 1992, a British journalist, Christopher Hitchens published an article in the US left-wing journal, The Nation entitled "The Ghoul of Calcutta" criticizing Mother Teresa. In 1994, Hitchens and British journalist Tariq Ali produced a critical TV documentary for the UK's Channel 4, which was entitled Hell's Angel, based on Chatterjee's work. Chatterjee has been critical of what he called the "sensationalist" approach of the film, without disputing its conclusions.

Edited for copyright laws.

Enlightenment - The Experience Festival - Library / Articles

She was an aggresive fundraiser and there is no question that her humanitarian efforts were exemplary. Miracles, maybe not but she was tireless and dedicated. She helped the masses.

I think she's a saint.

Mother Teresa: "The Ghoul of Calcutta"

After Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi's suspension of civil liberties in 1975, Mother Teresa said: "People are happier. There are more jobs. There are no strikes." These approving comments were seen as a result of the friendship between Teresa and the Congress Party. Mother Teresa's comments were even criticized outside India within Catholic media. (Chatterjee, p. 276.)

An Indian-born writer living in Britain, Dr. Aroup Chatterjee, who had briefly worked in one of Mother Teresa's homes, began investigations into the finances and other practices of Teresa's order. In November 1992, a British journalist, Christopher Hitchens published an article in the US left-wing journal, The Nation entitled "The Ghoul of Calcutta" criticizing Mother Teresa. In 1994, Hitchens and British journalist Tariq Ali produced a critical TV documentary for the UK's Channel 4, which was entitled Hell's Angel, based on Chatterjee's work. Chatterjee has been critical of what he called the "sensationalist" approach of the film, without disputing its conclusions.

Edited for copyright laws.

Enlightenment - The Experience Festival - Library / Articles

Ah yes, the repetitiously quoted words from Dr. Chatterjee who never interviewed Mother Teresa, who never met her, who never met or interviewed those who worked with her or who were ministered to by her. But his self-published book is a huge favorte and often quoted by Atheists and anti-religious types.

I would be impressed if such was written by a pro-Christian, pro-religious type who had actually spent time finding out what Sister Teresa was all about. But somebody out to get her and sell a book? No, not persuasive at all.

I remember reading Hitchens sometime after Mother Teresa died. I must confess that I often find Hitchens amusing and at times offensive. He was making the point that Mother Teresa came across some type of shelter that had wall to wall carpet and other luxuries that she ordered removed. I guess the point was that Mother Teresa was just a real meany but more likely she did not want a pampered underclass to replace the abject poverty.

The Bible never endorses the practice of awarding people sainthood.

It is an unscriptual invention of the Catholic Church.

Catholics consider St. Peter the authority of the Church as the seat of Rome. This authority is passed to each succeeding Pope. As I understand the scripture is where Christ said what St. Peter determined was bound on earth shall be bound in heaven and what is loosed on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Matthew 16:19
"I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven."

St. Peter was the foundation of the Church and succeeding Popes have the authority to declare Sainthood.

Please explain Matthew 16:18-19.

In these verses, Christ stated, “And I say unto you, that you are Peter, and upon this Rock I will build My church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give unto you the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever you shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever you shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”

Please explain Matthew 16:18-19.

You need to put everything into context Ryan.

Christians have a bad habit of taking verses out of context and then building a theology out of the isolated verse.

Here is both the verses before and after the one you cited.

Matthew 16: 14-23

14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.
15 He saith unto them, But whom say aye that I am?
16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
19 And I will agive unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
20 Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.
21 ¶ From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.
22 Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.
23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan : thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

In verse 18 Jesus identifys Peter as the the one who confirms his diety (verse 16) via the spirit

Jesus is just saying that his church will be built on His diety.

And Jesus is NOT confirming any special status on Peter.

The "Rock" Jesus is refering to. Is Peter's statement. Not Peter himself.

If you notice, five verses later, Jesus refers to Peter as Satan.

So I seriously doubt Jesus would pin his hopes on a man that he rebuked and called Satan and offensive to him..

i know the process has been started but why is the church lagging on this....and what will she be the patron saint of? she died in 1997...

here is an article on how one becomes a saint

HowStuffWorks "The Steps of Canonization"

yes the thread title should read....why isnt.....

The nobel Committee thought she was good. Nobel Peace Prize 1979, Mother Teresa
Yeah, but they don't award sainthood.

(And don't you start in with Obama....lol)

Forum List

Back