Why Is USMB Lagging?

It is taking me forever to reload a USMB page or click over to a new one. I am not having that issue elsewhere on the 'net. I have cleared my cookies and rebooted the PC, which is only a few months old.

Is anyone else having this problem? Can anyone suggest a way to fix it?

Thankies.

Large blue fonts take up all your bandwidth you stupid fuck

:eek:

:eek:

If there is a drawback in your post, it is not the blue-font, but the smilie.
For the smilie the Browser had to open another HTTP-request to an image-file somewhere on the server which is referenced in the source-code of this document.
Madelines Blue colour comes directly in the core of this document.
Practically, Madelines blue-colour will be drawn before the smilie is displayed if your browser does not support enough simultanous HTTP-connections to the Server to download the files of this specific url in 1 round.

Generally, the Browser of John Public only downloads files from the same Url through 2 open HTTP-connections. If one transfer has finished, the Browser opens another connection, usually with some milliseconds of delay.

The blue colour might only be an optical drawback. Besides that, it has no real disadvatage at all.

where huge blue font goes unchallenged? yep

get a grip. fonts and colors are the most mellow nuisances on this board.

They are the most offensive of distractions.They assault all decent and civil standards of taste and creativity.

harrumph!

i am more seriously wounded by neg reps.

they make my message board life like hanging around in the 9th circle.

:eusa_shhh:

stop being serious.

Yes.
The website would be more responsive if
- reputation-block
- thank-you-block
- signature
would be completely disabled for guests and crawlers.
Only displayed for members being logged-in.
This way usmb.com would also benefit from better search-engine ranking, as Google would crawl pages that have high density of actual content. Google gives a shit about who has how much reputation, for Google it is just Spam.
Also Google announced, that Website-speed will be incorporated as a factor to rank Websites in their internal ranking-mechanism.

Disabling these can be achieved with wrapping these template-areas into the
<if condition="$show['member']"> </if> statement.

For displaying these informations, it is used CPU and Ram of the Server and in-case of reputation-block very likely also additional count+join operations in the database.
If these are disabled for Guests and Crawlers, the stress on the website will decrease and such operations faster being executed for the real users - the members.

On Server-side, for example Apache there are only a specific amount of paralell worker-processes which serve as a gateway to the mysqld(Database) and php processes. It also spawns and ends these processes.
Dependent on the Server configuration a website can only serve pages to a specific amount of User paralelly surfing the Website. If additional users come to the site at same time, then they are delayed till a worker-process is free to execute their request.

We now already know that each request is being executed faster, if you disable these information-areas for guests. This means, that the configured amount of worker-processes will become faster free and available to execute new requests.
Practically, a website then can handle more users at same time without upgradeing the hardware of its server.

Only thoughts and some experience from my websites.
You can ignore.

stop being serious.

Yes.
The website would be more responsive if
- reputation-block
- thank-you-block
- signature
would be completely disabled for guests and crawlers.
Only displayed for members being logged-in.
This way usmb.com would also benefit from better search-engine ranking, as Google would crawl pages that have high density of actual content. Google gives a shit about who has how much reputation, for Google it is just Spam.
Also Google announced, that Website-speed will be incorporated as a factor to rank Websites in their internal ranking-mechanism.

Disabling these can be achieved with wrapping these template-areas into the
<if condition="$show['member']"> </if> statement.

For displaying these informations, it is used CPU and Ram of the Server and in-case of reputation-block very likely also additional count+join operations in the database.
If these are disabled for Guests and Crawlers, the stress on the website will decrease and such operations faster being executed for the real users - the members.

On Server-side, for example Apache there are only a specific amount of paralell worker-processes which serve as a gateway to the mysqld(Database) and php processes. It also spawns and ends these processes.
Dependent on the Server configuration a website can only serve pages to a specific amount of User paralelly surfing the Website. If additional users come to the site at same time, then they are delayed till a worker-process is free to execute their request.

We now already know that each request is being executed faster, if you disable these information-areas for guests. This means, that the configured amount of worker-processes will become faster free and available to execute new requests.
Practically, a website then can handle more users at same time without upgradeing the hardware of its server.

Only thoughts and some experience from my websites.
You can ignore.

dantevirus322.png

That seems unlikely, zzzz. A hacker would have shut the site down or sent us all a virus....are you feeling poorly?

*Laughs*

Being a hacker is not an easy thing gaining access to a Server.
There are also assholes around, which simply just stress-test a website for which you do not have to be a hacker. Most times, these are assholes from your direct competition.
The dumb ones you can easily recognize through the access-logs of the server, with lets say 200 incoming paralell requests from the same IP.
More difficult it will be, if he knows how to masquerade his real IP into an array of artificial IPs.

Please, dont get me wrong. I have nothing against usmb.com, I stand in no competition to it, and I enjoy my stay here since 2005.

That seems unlikely, zzzz. A hacker would have shut the site down or sent us all a virus....are you feeling poorly?

*Laughs*

Being a hacker is not an easy thing gaining access to a Server.

There are also assholes around, which simply just stress-test a website for which you do not have to be a hacker. Most times, these are assholes from your direct competition.

The dumb ones you can easily recognize through the access-logs of the server, with lets say 200 incoming paralell requests from the same IP.

More difficult it will be, if he knows how to masquerade his real IP into an array of artificial IPs.

Please, dont get me wrong. I have nothing against usmb.com, I stand in no competition to it, and I enjoy my stay here since 2005.

Access to a server in that way is illegal.

Stressing a server is stupid.

There are far more interesting and fun ways to fuck with a site -- if one wanted to. But that would take, not taking oneself so seriously. This is why most hackers don't last at a site. They have tools and no talent.

Seems to be some lagging again...or is it just me?

Forum List

Back