Why Is USMB Lagging?

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
It is taking me forever to reload a USMB page or click over to a new one. I am not having that issue elsewhere on the 'net. I have cleared my cookies and rebooted the PC, which is only a few months old.

Is anyone else having this problem? Can anyone suggest a way to fix it?

Thankies.

They are probably doing updates. They used to do them around 1130 every night, but I don't think that is happening anymore.

It is taking me forever to reload a USMB page or click over to a new one. I am not having that issue elsewhere on the 'net. I have cleared my cookies and rebooted the PC, which is only a few months old.

Thankies.

Must be those cookies you sold em!

• Banned
They are awesome, zzzz.

thin_mint1.jpg

That seems unlikely, zzzz. A hacker would have shut the site down or sent us all a virus....are you feeling poorly?

*Laughs*

I'm always feeling poor! Not 'ly though. I have to have satelite internet out here in the woods and it is sloooowwww. Not as slow as dial up, but....sloooowwww!

I was not thinking of a viral attack but a bot attack to slow a site down. Overload it so to speak. May be an amater with not enough bots but it is problably something harmless USMB is doing. Maybe doing a makeover.

I don't really eat mint cookies. Love choc chip with big chips!!

Not lagging anymore, thank goodness!

That seems unlikely, zzzz. A hacker would have shut the site down or sent us all a virus....are you feeling poorly?

*Laughs*

I'm always feeling poor! Not 'ly though. I have to have satelite internet out here in the woods and it is sloooowwww. Not as slow as dial up, but....sloooowwww!

I was not thinking of a viral attack but a bot attack to slow a site down. Overload it so to speak. May be an amater with not enough bots but it is problably something harmless USMB is doing. Maybe doing a makeover.

I don't really eat mint cookies. Love choc chip with big chips!!

You poor man...I hear those satelite ISPs cost the earth. Must be nice to be out in the country, though. Have a cookie.....

images

I don't seem to have that problem however, it seems like every time I type in something stupid I get a black screen for about 30 seconds... Do they filter for stupidity here????????

Thankies.

Large blue fonts take up all your bandwidth you stupid fuck

Large blue fonts take up all your bandwidth you stupid fuck

That is not true.
It takes not bandwith, but CPU of your own PC to draw the blue font.
Your browser just translates a syntax into a colour.

On the server-side Madelines custom font causes maybe an additional 10 charachters delivered in the source code of the document, which your browser then draws after downloading it.

So, if on a page Madeline has 10 posts, and each post is formatted with custom font, then not even 1 KB of additional data will be added through the custom font to the document which your browser has to download and finally draw.
Its more like bytes and we live in times of DSL.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back