Why is USMB a hub for bad views?

Anyone with a minimal intellectual background will see this site consists mostly of terribly reasoned posts. I'm referring to mainly the popular topics like "Environment" section, "Politics" etc. but then again, each section is typically inundated with poorly reasoned arguments on either side of the issue, but mostly from conservatives.

I am generalizing which tends to exaggerate the matter a little bit. I want to be clear I'm not saying people are dumb or bad people, I'm just saying their premises and conclusions are often founded on water instead of solid ground.

I was wondering why this general trend is so? Is this the real spectrum of thought in America? A genuine representation? Or is there something about this site that attracts an overwhelming majority of inadequate rigor and woefully unfounded assertions?

Any thoughts?

I thought perhaps the answer might be the fact the URL contains "US" (message boards) and therefore anyone who wants critical discussion automatically knows US=uncritical thought. Yes? No?

Again, this is a only trend I'm denoting in America. If usmessageboads is a genuine representation of American thought then whoa! America is not what I thought it was! But my opinion is this site is not a genuine representation.

The first thing you need to realize is the demographics of the Internet is not an accurate representation of mainstream thought. Just by it's very nature, the Internet leans decidedly left. Most people who have the Internet are politically left-leaning. Conservatives always tend to be the last ones to adapt to new technology. Therefore, the 'general' Internet population is more left than the 'general population'. Believe it or not, there are hoards of conservatives who wouldn't even know how to turn a computer on, and aren't interested in learning.

From there, you have to realize message boards, blogs and forums are vehicles for people to express their views on issues. The most passionate expressers are generally liberals. This is because of the nature of liberalism. It's what liberals do. It's their reason for being liberal. Granted, everybody is different, and this is not to say that libertarians and conservatives, even anarchists, are not represented on a typical board. Generally speaking, the most vocal and active participants are left-leaning individuals because this is their gig.

So you are never going to find a general public forum on the Internet that isn't skewed noticeably to the left. Each year, that demographic changes slightly because more and more conservatives are becoming 'tuned in' to the modern communications era. There are also numerous activist groups who have libertarian views, helping to 'even the field' for the right. But traditional 'tea party type' conservatives are still pulling up the rear.

You made a rather interesting observation. You say that you find the poorly reasoned arguments are mostly from conservatives. I am a conservative and I find most of the poorly reasoned arguments are from liberals. Isn't that peculiar? Of course, I have read thousands of arguments from conservatives and liberals and I can't say that I've ever heard one state: "Let me give you my unfounded and uninformed opinion on this..." I've never heard anyone left or right admit: "This is my poorly reasoned argument for... whatever." I mean, generally speaking, I think most people post what they believe is a reasonable well-founded argument. So I believe your observations may be a result of your particular political leaning. Just saying.

Now, the way you go about dealing with a poorly-reasoned argument is to do as I do and dismantle the sucker. Point out the poor reasoning by showing where it is poorly reasoned. This will require more than your opinion, you'll have to actually find sources to support your counter-arguments and stuff, and this isn't always as easy to do as you would think. Mostly because the Internet is full of every kind of opinion imaginable, and some are very poorly-reasoned arguments or outright fruit cake nuttiness. And whoever you are debating with is likely going to criticize your sources as being biased, whether there is merit or not.

In short, my recommendation to you is to basically... get over yourself. Stop thinking that your opinion or viewpoint is some divine piece of wisdom the world cannot live without. That your reasoning skills are the greatest thing to ever come down the pike, and those who don't share your opinion are somehow lacking in reason. It could be that your perspective is just different, and you haven't tried to see things from another point of view. It could be the other person's reasoning is based on a different set of circumstances or life experience.

Ann Coulter? It MUST you!
Who else could type so many words simply to states that, "All Liberals are idiots.".
This is so cool; I can now tell all my fellow congregants that I am conversing with Ann Coulter.

Boss, has it occurred to you that "although two positions may be in conflict with each other, neither one may harbor a single truth..."? I'm talking about your liberal/conservative false dichotomy. That's because any doctrine so rigid and accusatory as yours only serves to destroy the very thing it sets out to produce: in your case, namely, "liberty and freedom." This is the case with all dogmas that do not adapt to change or accept people for who they are without labeling or mis-judging.

You define a liberal more like a church goer of the past millennia defined non-believers: heretics, not rational. People with whom you cannot hope to get along so just dismiss them from entering the dialogue altogether. You said "you are liberal and not rational." By excluding and defining me as being "not rational" you therefore have no need to erect a sound, cogent defense of your beliefs. That is incidently what critical thinking and rationality is, as I've tried to exhibit through critiquing your poor sweeping generalization of libs and cons, but it was read as some "not rational" approach for some reason.

ahh liberals, if you don't agree with them you're a stewpud 'merkin

libs bitch the the keystone pipe won't create a lot of jobs and it cost a lot, but defend obama spending vastly more and getting far far less

but us cons is ignant

Anyone with a minimal intellectual background will see this site consists mostly of terribly reasoned posts. I'm referring to mainly the popular topics like "Environment" section, "Politics" etc. but then again, each section is typically inundated with poorly reasoned arguments on either side of the issue, but mostly from conservatives.

I am generalizing which tends to exaggerate the matter a little bit. I want to be clear I'm not saying people are dumb or bad people, I'm just saying their premises and conclusions are often founded on water instead of solid ground.

I was wondering why this general trend is so? Is this the real spectrum of thought in America? A genuine representation? Or is there something about this site that attracts an overwhelming majority of inadequate rigor and woefully unfounded assertions?

Any thoughts?

I thought perhaps the answer might be the fact the URL contains "US" (message boards) and therefore anyone who wants critical discussion automatically knows US=uncritical thought. Yes? No?

Again, this is a only trend I'm denoting in America. If usmessageboads is a genuine representation of American thought then whoa! America is not what I thought it was! But my opinion is this site is not a genuine representation.

Climate change is only common sense. Those that deny it are doomed to destruction.

I mean, come on, the climate is changing and humans continue to produce large amounts of CO2 in the atmosphere. Therefore, humans are causing climate exchange.

It is reasoned logic like this that right winged extremists continually deny that annoys the hell out of me.

You have never stated anything other than your lies about being a "nuclear watch officer", a position which doesn't exist in the US Navy. So you are both a liar and a moron.

For those who haven't ever seen Westwall's true face showing through the mask, he would be guy who will belittle someone's military service if he gets angry at them.

I never belittle anyone's military service. I DO belittle those who CLAIM to have served, who either clearly didn't, or inflate what they did. As did you. You're a fraud. The degree of fraud you are remains to be determined.....one thing I can very safely state is that you were not ever a "nuclear watch officer" as that MOS doesn't exist in the US Navy.

You are making me dizzy watch you spin circles trying to justify why you regard someone you know almost nothing about so plainly not rational. Namely, me, whom you have NO consequential information about, yet repeatedly affirm I am not rational.

How is that respectful dialogue? From a psychologist? I've come to expect higher standards from people who study interpersonal relationships. I guess youre an exception. Or do you want to try again, this time, returning my respect for mutual benefit? We can but that choice is up to you, I can't make it for you.

You harp on the word attack like it makes the some meaningful demarcation between rational and not. An "attack" in the context I used it is quite appropriate. It means a challenge or "attack" on a position, an objection; it is simply an argument against something or viewpoint. What do you take "attack" to mean? How does my use of "attack" become the defining characteristic of my lack of rationality?

Well, because simple observation is not an attack or challenge. You view it as an attack because you aren't rational. Read my replies, I pointed out several things you said that indicate the thoughts of someone who is not rational. You're naturally defensive about this because everyone believes themselves to be rational, unless they are admittedly insane.

In this latest reply, you wrote: "You harp on the word attack like it makes the some meaningful demarcation between rational and not." The posts clearly show that I have not "harped" at all. I observed that you used the word "attack" to describe my observations regarding liberals and your rationality. You denied using the word, and I pointed out where you did use the word. Then you defended using the word and I responded to that. It is you who is "harping" on the word, yet here you are accusing me of it. That's not the behavior of a rational person.

I am not opposed to having a mutually respectful dialogue with you, but so far, you have shown no indication of being respectful toward me. You view my observations as "attacks" and when I point this out, you resort to accusing me of "harping" after you repeatedly protest. You continue to display behavior of someone who is not rational, while appealing for civil rational discourse.

Boss, has it occurred to you that "although two positions may be in conflict with each other, neither one may harbor a single truth..."? I'm talking about your liberal/conservative false dichotomy. That's because any doctrine so rigid and accusatory as yours only serves to destroy the very thing it sets out to produce: in your case, namely, "liberty and freedom." This is the case with all dogmas that do not adapt to change or accept people for who they are without labeling or mis-judging.

You define a liberal more like a church goer of the past millennia defined non-believers: heretics, not rational. People with whom you cannot hope to get along so just dismiss them from entering the dialogue altogether. You said "you are liberal and not rational." By excluding and defining me as being "not rational" you therefore have no need to erect a sound, cogent defense of your beliefs. That is incidently what critical thinking and rationality is, as I've tried to exhibit through critiquing your poor sweeping generalization of libs and cons, but it was read as some "not rational" approach for some reason.

Oh, no doubt there can be two positions and neither of them true. Although, I didn't make a "false dichotomy" with liberalism/conservatism. You had initially asked whether the USMB represented mainstream thought, and indicated you found conservatives here to be lacking in critical thinking abilities. I responded by attempting to explain the demographics of who we find online. In doing so, I also explained the difference between liberals and conservatives.

I did say "you are liberal and not rational" but I didn't intend those to be combined in relational connection the way you have taken it. You are liberal. You are also not rational. You are not lacking in rationality because you are a liberal. Many liberals are very rational. I've not made the observation of you not being rational in order to not have to erect a sound defense of my beliefs. I was merely pointing out that it's not possible to have a rational conversation with you because you are not rational.

I said the critical thinking was lacking from most posts, including liberals, but correctly noted that conservatives tend to use aggressive language, more ad hominems and general cursing/yelling.

I am sorry for not being respectful. I would like for you to demonstrate where I was dis-respecting you so I can change that so I don't repeat that mistake. But the actual evidence for my disrespecting of your is less important because whether I genuinely disrespected you or not, you believe that I did. So I want to say I'm sorry and would like to put that in history.

Are you really a psychologist or are you lying? Maybe we could do a trust exercise by you telling the truth. I'll accept what you say so speak the truth.

But once we do that, what's the point? How can I become rational? What do I need to believe, if anything?

Last edited:
Quote the diatribe. What's your evidence? The OP? If so, my whole point was clearly stated not to be an observation about people but called attention to the poor reasoning. You might want to go back and closely read and re-read the OP

I said the critical thinking was lacking from most posts, including liberals, but correctly noted that conservatives tend to use aggressive language, more ad hominems and general cursing/yelling.

I am sorry for not being respectful. I would like for you to demonstrate where I was dis-respecting you so I can change that so I don't repeat that mistake. But the actual evidence for my disrespecting of your is less important because whether I genuinely disrespected you or not, you believe that I did. So I want to say I'm sorry and would like to put that in history.

Are you really a psychologist or are you lying? Maybe we could do a trust exercise by you telling the truth. I'll accept what you say so speak the truth.

But once we do that, what's the point? How can I become rational? What do I need to believe, if anything?

I don't think it's about your beliefs. It's about CONTEXT and STRUCTURE of those beliefs.. I've said before that I like your concerns about the environment. Some of them (almost accidentally it appears) are backed by facts and statistics. More often, they seem to be feelings or some flimsy generalization that ANY "enviro" idea is a good idea.. And any proposal modifying or downgrading a "green" idea is bad. Which must be where you get this silly notion about "bad ideas".. It's not your rationality that's the issue, it's your awareness of how to judge and EVALUATE ideas.. Especially when taking inputs that are new or unknown and incorporating them into your "beliefs"..

Which is why IMO, you are bedeviled and bewildered about "bad ideas" at USMB. You may not have the framework to PROCESS and EVALUATE those "bad ideas".. The framework requires effort, a LOT of work in other disciplines, time and patience..

Discussions like this one are doomed.. Because they never had "GOOD" direction and structure. And beliefs should COME from that structure. Not the other way around.

Here is what you said:

"...each section is typically inundated with poorly reasoned arguments on either side of the issue, but mostly from conservatives."

I pointed out that I observe the poorly reasoned arguments mostly coming from liberals. So why are our perceptions diametrically opposite? As I explained, it's because of our perspectives being different. You somehow took this as an offensive attack. In your first reply to me, you indicated I lacked maturity in my critical thinking. You've made all kinds of other accusations toward me, and I have defended in response. Now you want to know how you've disrespected me?

Yes, I am really a psychologist. I can't imagine why I would need to be dishonest about that. My response to this thread was genuinely to help you answer your questions and do some personal introspection.

As for how you can be rational, I think you should start by not reading things into posts that aren't there. Don't assume that an opinion or observation is an attack or challenge, and is generally presented by someone who believes it to be well-reasoned and thought out. They have a different perspective than you. Perhaps they even have different information? Finally, learn how to listen. Stop yourself from responding emotively without having some degree of empathy or understanding for what the other person has said.

"Who the fuck is being hostile?" ^^

LOL

Yes, because actually fucking caring is proof of hostility.

I actually started a thread about this one, fuckwad. I pointed out that only idiots take things on a message board personally. If you need help, and I can give it, I will. I have actually done that, which actually impressed somebody on this board that thought I hated them because I argued with almost everything they said. I am not hostile toward you, if I was I wouldn't talk to you. Grow up, then come back here and get some real adult conversation.

True story

Meanwhile, maybe a better place for our new friend to start would be the clean debate zone? It features gentleman's rules, rather than the rough and tumble the rest of this place can be.

In his defense, he seems like the scholarly type, despite the moniker (gnarlylove?), and there are strict academic lines drawn for an argument to be considered well reasoned. That said, it is not necessarily an attack, an insult, or even a jab to consider much of what we spill here as not reasonable. It simply doesn't fall between those lines, and I don't see why that point would be up for debate. The rest of the OP was a question of demographics - is this community of ours a representative cross section of American opinion, education, and logic?

:itsok:

Last edited:

Here is what you said:

"...each section is typically inundated with poorly reasoned arguments on either side of the issue, but mostly from conservatives."

I pointed out that I observe the poorly reasoned arguments mostly coming from liberals. So why are our perceptions diametrically opposite? As I explained, it's because of our perspectives being different. You somehow took this as an offensive attack. In your first reply to me, you indicated I lacked maturity in my critical thinking. You've made all kinds of other accusations toward me, and I have defended in response. Now you want to know how you've disrespected me?

Yes, I am really a psychologist. I can't imagine why I would need to be dishonest about that. My response to this thread was genuinely to help you answer your questions and do some personal introspection.

As for how you can be rational, I think you should start by not reading things into posts that aren't there. Don't assume that an opinion or observation is an attack or challenge, and is generally presented by someone who believes it to be well-reasoned and thought out. They have a different perspective than you. Perhaps they even have different information? Finally, learn how to listen. Stop yourself from responding emotively without having some degree of empathy or understanding for what the other person has said.

I am sorry that offended you or was taken as disrespect. I wish you would have kept reading my full post. I tried to be clear what my point was...that I am not speaking about people (cons or libs) but merely that arguments and posts I've read have lacked proper reasoning while correctly denoting hostility posts, aka poorly reasoned posts, tended to come from cons. I obviously did not make the claim that all conservatives and their viewpoints are invalid, so I hope you didn't take it that way. I was rather explicit:

"I am generalizing which tends to exaggerate the matter a little bit. I want to be clear I'm not saying people are dumb or bad people, I'm just saying their premises and conclusions are often [poorly] founded..."

I was explicit that my interest was not in who was giving the poorly reasoned posts but rather if this represented America? You responded to this and the rest of your post was not based in objective reality but a narrative that sounded pleasant to you, so I called you on it. But sensitive people like yourself become quickly reactionary and now that I'm aware that you judge people lightening fast, I will be extra careful not to disrespect you or criticize any of your views again.

Last edited:
I am sorry that offended you or was taken as disrespect. I wish you would have kept reading my full post. I tried to be clear what my point was...that I am not speaking about people (cons or libs) but merely that arguments and posts I've read have lacked proper reasoning while correctly denoting hostility posts, aka poorly reasoned posts, tended to come from cons. I obviously did not make the claim that all conservatives and their viewpoints are invalid, so I hope you didn't take it that way. I was rather explicit:

"I am generalizing which tends to exaggerate the matter a little bit. I want to be clear I'm not saying people are dumb or bad people, I'm just saying their premises and conclusions are often [poorly] founded..."

I was explicit that my interest was not in who was giving the poorly reasoned posts but rather if this represented America? You responded to this and the rest of your post was not based in objective reality but a narrative that sounded pleasant to you, so I called you on it. But sensitive people like yourself become quickly reactionary and now that I'm aware that you judge people lightening fast, I will be extra careful not to disrespect you or criticize any of your views again.

I've taken the liberty to highlight some of the more disrespectful comments you've made about me here. You began by assuming I had not read your entire post. I assure you, I did read it all. Then you accused me of not basing my viewpoint in objective reality and simply giving a narrative of what sounded pleasant to me. Finally, you finish off with a flurry... I am over-sensitive, reactionary, and judge people lightning fast. This is all coming from my rather candid and frank observations, which apparently offended you.

Previously, I stated that you are not rational, and this is an example of what I am talking about. You've automatically drawn assumptions that just aren't true. You throw those assumptions out there as if they are indisputable or obvious without specifics and without backing your assumptions up with anything other than emotion. Rational people do not behave this way.

I appreciate you falling all over yourself to apologize to me, but it's not necessary, I have not complained. I am accustomed to people not being rational here. Posters offend me all the time, and it doesn't bother me in the least. I am simply responding to you in an attempt to help you find your way to reasonable and rational discourse. I think you honestly want to get there but you don't know how. Others are weighing in here and they don't want to give you that benefit of the doubt, but I haven't judged you based on their posts. I only judge you based on the words you choose and what you have to say. And when I say I judge you, I don't hold it against you. None of us are perfect, we all have our flaws.

I've taken the liberty to highlight some of the more disrespectful comments you've made about me here. You began by assuming I had not read your entire post. I assure you, I did read it all. Then you accused me of not basing my viewpoint in objective reality and simply giving a narrative of what sounded pleasant to me. Finally, you finish off with a flurry... I am over-sensitive, reactionary, and judge people lightning fast. This is all coming from my rather candid and frank observations, which apparently offended you.

Previously, I stated that you are not rational, and this is an example of what I am talking about. You've automatically drawn assumptions that just aren't true. You throw those assumptions out there as if they are indisputable or obvious without specifics and without backing your assumptions up with anything other than emotion. Rational people do not behave this way.

I appreciate you falling all over yourself to apologize to me, but it's not necessary, I have not complained. I am accustomed to people not being rational here. Posters offend me all the time, and it doesn't bother me in the least. I am simply responding to you in an attempt to help you find your way to reasonable and rational discourse. I think you honestly want to get there but you don't know how. Others are weighing in here and they don't want to give you that benefit of the doubt, but I haven't judged you based on their posts. I only judge you based on the words you choose and what you have to say. And when I say I judge you, I don't hold it against you. None of us are perfect, we all have our flaws.

your-passive-aggressive-behavior-is-the-same-as-lying-actually-2.png

Those phrases you highlighted are factual observations, and are exactly similar to what you observed about me, that I am not rational. How are my factual observations disrespect while yours are not (claiming "I am not rational")?

In fact, calling me not rational was based on 1 post, maybe 2, less than 500 words. That is quick to judge. Maybe you think you have special powers and that it's ok for you, but not me. This is duplicity.

Only after at least 6 posts did I make the observations that you do not like to be challenged, in other words are sensitive to challenges, and that you consider challenges to your views to be a form of disrespect. That is quite unrealitistic since discussion must assume each participant can challenge each others view points without being considered disrespectful. I am not challenging you. The person Boss I respect, or am trying to. But I am challenging your poorly reasoned beliefs, which, in other words is to say I do not think some of the views you have expressed are based in objective reality (logic, rationality, etc.) but are based in a narrative that appeals to your emotions.

Like I said in my first reply, you are clearly intelligent but the more you talk, the more you seem to equate disagreement with disrespect. If those are your terms of debate, then no one is allowed to point out flaws in your reasoning without also being accused of a personal disrespect. So what's the point in talking with you unless I agree with all your points of view, whether they are sound or not? Is that how you define as rationality?

Last edited:

Here is what you said:

You are apologizing to a poster who called you, in way too many words, a stupid
Liberal without substantiating such.
I would hope that those posters who disagree with you would be more of the caliber of flac who usually makes measurable statements.

Forum List

Back