CDZ Why is Turkey's Invasion of Iraq Not US News?

This week Turkey sent combat troops into Iraq but beyond the State Department washing its hands of the matter I'm having trouble verifying anything I'm getting from Russian and Arabic sources, help please?

Because barak obama is a democrat President.

This week Turkey sent combat troops into Iraq but beyond the State Department washing its hands of the matter I'm having trouble verifying anything I'm getting from Russian and Arabic sources, help please?
December,19:
Iraq has urged the UN Security Council to pass a resolution calling for withdrawal of Turkish troops, which Iraq views as an “authorized invasion.” Turkey responded by accusing Iraq of sabotaging the fight against Islamic State (IS, previously ISIS/ISIL).

The Security Council met Friday following a request from Iraq. At the meeting, Iraqi Foreign Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari asked the 15-member council to adopt a resolution that would demand Turkish withdrawal.

"Iraq has spared no effort to exhaust all diplomatic channels and bilateral negotiations with Turkey, in order to withdraw its forces that are unauthorized in Iraq," Jaafari said.

He said he wanted the resolution to consist of two main points. “First, condemn that illegal Turkish occupation and invasion,” which violated Iraq’s sovereignty as well as UN Charter and international law. “Second, demand that Turkey immediately withdraws its troops and to ensure that all appropriate measures are taken to recognize the border between the two countries,” Jaafari said.

According to Jaafari, UNSC complaint was his last resort.

Tensions between the two countries have increased dramatically since Turkey deployed about 150 soldiers backed by artillery and around 25 tanks to a base near the ISIS-controlled northern Iraqi city of Mosul on December 4.

At the UNSC meeting, Turkey’s ambassador to the UN, Halit Cevik, repeated the party line, stating that the troops were sent into Iraq for protection in light of increased security threats. Cevik argued that now the soldiers on the ground could target IS fighters.

From the outset, we tried to resolve this matter through bilateral channels. Because taking this issue to various international platforms would serve no other purpose than to undermine the solidarity of the international community against Daesh," Cevik told the Security Council.

Meanwhile, US President Barack Obama called on Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Friday to de-escalate the situation, according to the White House.

During a phone conversation, Obama “urged President Erdogan to take additional steps to deescalate tensions with Iraq, including by continuing to withdraw Turkish military forces.”

At the same time, Obama “reinforced the need for Turkey to respect the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Iraq.”

Iraq urges UN Security Council to demand Turkish troops withdrawal

What are Turkey's goals here? While not my ideal country to live in Turkey seems better then Iraq. They seem to be less of a threat to us. If SOMEHOW Turkey conquered all of Iraq and went to police the place my life would be better. If Turkey could push out ISIS and the suicide bombers the lives of the average mother and working father in Iraq would be better than it has been since what, the 1970's? 1920's?

In 2015 Turkey seems more like the Ottoman Empire than the Eastern Roman Empire but still they are an ally of ours with some real live issues if ISIS continues to fester and Trump or whoever can't stomach maintaining our military over there for the next 50 years like our forefathers did in Europe.

Is there a way we can subsidize Turkish boots on the ground in Iraq instead of sending my kid?

Let's get one thing straight. Whether there is a republican or democrat president in the white house their foreign national policy will always remain a conservative agenda and the american mainstream media will always be a joke. Conservatives may criticize Obama for his policies in the middle east but if the exact same policies were enacted by a republican president they would be cheered for and defended against all criticism.

.... While not my ideal country to live in Turkey seems better then Iraq. ....

Off Topic:
LOL! That's not saying much. Were I a Turk, I'd find that remark personally insulting, particularly insofar as you wrote it only "seems" better than Iraq. LOL Being an American, I think of it as being "merely" disrespectful.
I have not been to Turkey either. How about I say from the other side of the world I believe Turkey to be a better place to live....then go on with my rant which seems like I am rebuilding the Ottoman Empire.

.... While not my ideal country to live in Turkey seems better then Iraq. ....

Off Topic:
LOL! That's not saying much. Were I a Turk, I'd find that remark personally insulting, particularly insofar as you wrote it only "seems" better than Iraq. LOL Being an American, I think of it as being "merely" disrespectful.
I have not been to Turkey either. How about I say from the other side of the world I believe Turkey to be a better place to live....then go on with my rant which seems like I am rebuilding the Ottoman Empire.

Fair enough.

FWIW, I've been to Turkey once, Izmir, to attend a college friend's wedding. It definitely struck me as a better place to live -- nice enough that I could easily live there -- than was Iraq in the 1990s when I went to Izmir, and far better than what Iraq appears to be like from recent news video. I have not been to Iraq and have no Iraqi friends whom I can visit. I suspect I'll never get to Iraq, which is a shame considering the history of that part of the world.

Let's get one thing straight. Whether there is a republican or democrat president in the white house their foreign national policy will always remain a conservative agenda and the american mainstream media will always be a joke. Conservatives may criticize Obama for his policies in the middle east but if the exact same policies were enacted by a republican president they would be cheered for and defended against all criticism.
the billion dollar question is what would ubdo about the Turks?

the billion dollar question is what would ubdo about the Turks?
Me, I don't have a qualified opinion because I have given no research to the issue. I know for a fact that the media doesn't always give the full story and many politicians lie to get support for military action. One thing I do know for sure is when the US gets involved matters get worse.

Forum List

Back