Why is this pilot being called a hero?

Damn deer ran out in front of my car, making me crash into a tree. All of us came out alive, but what an IDIOT I am for letting that deer run into my car and making me crash! I should have timed my drive better, I should have KNOWN that deer was going to run out in front of me at 8:15 pm!

I should be brought up on charges, eh?
You should be held legally responsible for it, yes.

Nah, I think I'll sue the deer..........................:cuckoo:

Yeah ... that deer should have known better than to cross in front of a speeding car and just not have done in ... in spite of the bear that was going to eat it ... wait. No, sue the bear that scared the deer that .... aw hell I can't finish that, laughing too hard.

You should be held legally responsible for it, yes.

Nah, I think I'll sue the deer..........................:cuckoo:

Yeah ... that deer should have known better than to cross in front of a speeding car and just not have done in ... in spite of the bear that was going to eat it ... wait. No, sue the bear that scared the deer that .... aw hell I can't finish that, laughing too hard.
awe damn, i liked where you were going with that too
:lol:

Unfortunately everyone's going to go ga-ga because nobody died in it and that's unusual for a plane crash, but he needs to be investigated and charged for his negligence that led to this crash landing being necessary.

You've crashed landed, dude. I think you should be investigated and charged for negligence. :cuckoo:

Damn deer ran out in front of my car, making me crash into a tree. All of us came out alive, but what an IDIOT I am for letting that deer run into my car and making me crash! I should have timed my drive better, I should have KNOWN that deer was going to run out in front of me at 8:15 pm!

Why didn't the tree get out of your way? Didn't it see you coming? It's the tree's fault. Bring it up on charges, shankings all around!

Last edited:

Why didn't the tree get out of your way? Didn't it see you coming? It's the tree's fault. Bring it up on charges, shankings all around!
oh, and dont forget to sue the town/county/state for building a road through a deer crossing area

:rofl:

Yeah, he managed to land the plane in the Hudson river and all the passengers survived. But wasn't it he who collided with the flock of birds? He didn't time his flight appropriately or take the proper maneuvers to avoid that flock. He should be fired and criminally charged for this, not lionized.

Can you lead me to the Geese schedule which you imply tells pilots when the Geese will be using the TCA? And does this schedule list the altitudes and headings the Geese are presumably scheduled to follow? What's more that plane probably rolls out at over 160 Mph and is at 200 mph in fairly short order... Now IF you had any experience in operating a machine at 200 MPH you'd understand that SHIT COMES UP VERY QUICK AT 200+ Mph and little things liek a flock of geese aren't even visible until you're crawling over them... so evasive action... not an option.

Also... can you tell me if you're an actual dumbass, or are ya really working hard to reach the pinnacle of dumbassery through this particular thread?

This pilot is a hero because he reacted to numerous fatal variables which popped into his flight plan... along with the fact that he had near perfect situational awareness; resisting the urge which would have killed himself, his passengers and crew, had he succumbed to desperate instinct to find a runway upon which to land... of which there were a half a dozen; all of which would have sucked in a lesser pilot and none of which were obtainable.

Most fatal aircraft landing attempts are a result of pilots trying to make an airfield which their aircraft and flight conditions inevitably prohibit; resulting in a fatal depletion of altitude...

Now answer my question...

I might need help from a legal eagle (sorry) here but I'm thinking proximate cause.

Wny did the pilot have to undertake a ditching?

Proximate cause - because a flock of geese were flying in the flightpath of the aircraft and were sucked into the engine intakes thus destroying the turbine blades and shutting down the two engines ('m assuming here, I'm not an aircraft engineer).

If that's correct then what's the distal cause?

I say the only thing to do is burn the pilot for heracy.

Clearly God wanted those people to die. That's why he sent those geese.

If God wanted that pilot to land his geese-disabled jet in the Hudson, he'd have given it gills.

Mark my words, bretheren, we risk devine retribution if we do not punish this sinner.

Yeah, he managed to land the plane in the Hudson river and all the passengers survived. But wasn't it he who collided with the flock of birds? He didn't time his flight appropriately or take the proper maneuvers to avoid that flock. He should be fired and criminally charged for this, not lionized.

You're joking, right?

If God wanted that pilot to land his geese-disabled jet in the Hudson, he'd have given it gills.

Mark my words, bretheren, we risk devine retribution if we do not punish this sinner.

HALLELUJAH! I have found my distal cause!

This forum is brilliant! Ed if you can do the celibacy thing I'll nominate you for Pope! :lol:

VA - give up now - it was a great effort but the jokesters here have outdone you :lol:

But it was fun :D

This forum is brilliant! Ed if you can do the celibacy thing I'll nominate you for Pope! :lol:

VA - give up now - it was a great effort but the jokesters here have outdone you :lol:

Pope?

Great! Love the hats.

Pope?

Great! Love the hats.

:lol::lol::lol:

Please, run fast and seek help. Yell, scream, beg if you must! :cuckoo:

you're a fucking idiot.

There is nothing a pilot flying that heavy of an aircraft at that speed can do to maunever around a fock of geese that fly in front of him.

Kill thrust? Pull yoke? Roll?

Unfortunately everyone's going to go ga-ga because nobody died in it and that's unusual for a plane crash, but he needs to be investigated and charged for his negligence that led to this crash landing being necessary.

Allow me to pile on by asking a question. What is your in ATC radar and/or piloting aircraft expertise?

Last edited:
Hero is as trong word...in the end he did his job and kept cool.

Thats what he should be commended for

Hey, sorry I accidentally blew up the bridge and we're all falling into the cliff, but I pulled out this nifty trick and got your ass saved from your pending death at the bottom. I'm such a hero! :cuckoo:

ya...the piolt tried to hit the birds so he could land in the hudson and be a hero.....

The question might be asked "why should a person who is just doing his job be called a hero?"

The passengers and other crew members surely think he's one.

To not recognize heroism in a case like this is to justify the lack of performance of all those who don't do the right thing in crucial moments, or who don't prepare themselves for that unpredictable moment. To a large extent it comes down to complete self discipline. He asked control about what was available to the right, maybe because he saw a path less of risk to people on the ground, then in only microseconds after getting clearance that way said he was going into the water.

The word "hero" is applied to ball players who "save a game" and then glory in it. this guy has shown no desire to bask in his positive media coverage. Will there be a media hunt for human foibles in this guy?

Last edited:
is a fireman a hero for running into a building to save a person?

Is a cop a hero for stopping a murder?

The pilot is a hero, he saved everyone from dying on that plane...his job entails flying to one destination to another...not crashing into the hudson

Forum List

Back