Why is this pilot being called a hero?

Yeah, he managed to land the plane in the Hudson river and all the passengers survived. But wasn't it he who collided with the flock of birds? He didn't time his flight appropriately or take the proper maneuvers to avoid that flock. He should be fired and criminally charged for this, not lionized.

Yeah, he managed to land the plane in the Hudson river and all the passengers survived. But wasn't it he who collided with the flock of birds? He didn't time his flight appropriately or take the proper maneuvers to avoid that flock. He should be fired and criminally charged for this, not lionized.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt on this that you just don't know much about planes and flying. There isn't much the pilot could have done to miss this flock of birds. If you continue to believe so, then I'll stop giving you the benefit of the doubt.

• Banned

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt on this that you just don't know much about planes and flying. There isn't much the pilot could have done to miss this flock of birds. If you continue to believe so, then I'll stop giving you the benefit of the doubt.

You're telling me their radar can't pick this up? Horsehockey. Either the pilot was being negligent or someone at air traffic control was. Actually I think the ATC should be investigated too for letting him take off at that moment.

Last edited:
you're a fucking idiot.

There is nothing a pilot flying that heavy of an aircraft at that speed can do to maunever around a fock of geese that fly in front of him.

You're telling me their radar can't pick this up? Horsehockey. Either the pilot was being negligent or someone at air traffic control was. Actually I think the ATC should be investigated too for letting him take off at that moment.

First you blame the pilot and now ATC; which one is it? It is the ATC's responsibility to inform the pilot if they see a flock of birds on radar and to have the pilot delay takeoff. One of the first things stated when this story broke is that ATC did not see the birds on radar until it was too late.

If lightning strikes a tree and the tree falls into the road, then immediately following this a car crashes into the tree, who's at fault?

hahahahahahahaha! what nonsense VA!!!! :lol:

you can't determine where birds will fly....

and you can't just by happenstance, turn your plane in another direction, it happens on take off in general....and there are alot of other planes coming in and going out of the airport, there is not just one runway, ya know....?

This is why airports have other means that they use, varrying by the airport's size to keep birds away from the runways....they shoot guns in small airports to chase them away and others have sound blasting devices and other things that have proven to work most of the time....

now why these things did not work on this guy's take off, is the question....but to blame the pilot or air traffic control is silly...

and another thing, haven't you ever heard of the term, "flying below radar"?

Vermin (fitting): Pure Troll.

Moron, I tried to fly in just a 747 simulator ... I would NEVER want to be one of those pilots. It takes forever just to turn a single degree, and you can't just yank the yolk ... so yeah, blaming the pilot, that's mature.

Timing the flight, come on, birds can fly fast and turn on a dime (often times they do just that), you can't predict that 100% ever, no matter how hard you try.

Accidents happen, what pisses me off is that they made such a big deal of it for no reason. No one died. There was no huge burning ball of steel. the pilot made a great crash landing (I could never dream of such). They even got the plan out of the water. The pilot kept his cool in a bad situation ...

... it's a rose colored ending in my book. Can't believe I typed this much in response ... just get over it Vermin, and be thankful it didn't com crashing on your home. Flying is still the safest way to travel.

• Banned

First you blame the pilot and now ATC; which one is it? It is the ATC's responsibility to inform the pilot if they see a flock of birds on radar and to have the pilot delay takeoff. One of the first things stated when this story broke is that ATC did not see the birds on radar until it was too late.

If lightning strikes a tree and the tree falls into the road, then immediately following this a car crashes into the tree, who's at fault?
Then whoever was monitoring the ATC should be fired and investigated, but if the pilot had visual, he could have steered the plane. He instead let some of them right into his engine. He is just as culpable.
And to answer the last question: The driver of the car, for not taking immediate evasive action, should be cited for not only the collision itself but for driving too fast for the conditions. If there was a storm that could take a tree out, there obviously was all the associated rain and possibly wind involved. If he drove slowly enough for those, he could have avoided the tree if it fell in front of him. If not, he was still a fool for driving in such a storm.

Last edited:

You're kidding, right?

you're a fucking idiot.

There is nothing a pilot flying that heavy of an aircraft at that speed can do to maunever around a fock of geese that fly in front of him.

I agree.

Then whoever was monitoring the ATC should be fired and investigated, but if the pilot had visual, he could have steered the plane. He instead let some of them right into his engine. He is just as culpable.
And to answer the last question: The driver of the car, for not taking immediate evasive action, should be cited for not only the collision itself but for driving too fast for the conditions. If there was a storm that could take a tree out, there obviously was all the associated rain and possibly wind involved. If he drove slowly enough for those, he could have avoided the tree if it fell in front of him. If not, he was still a fool for driving in such a storm.

you should kill yourself before you hurt someone.....

you're a fucking idiot.

Kill thrust? Pull yoke? Roll?

Unfortunately everyone's going to go ga-ga because nobody died in it and that's unusual for a plane crash, but he needs to be investigated and charged for his negligence that led to this crash landing being necessary.

The Co-Pilot handled the take-off. He said he saw the flight of geese off to the right, and thought nothing of it, since operators often see birds, geese, and such during flights. Then, suddenly, they were hitting the windshield of the plane, and the engines died. The pilot took over from there.

you're a fucking idiot.

Unfortunately everyone's going to go ga-ga because nobody died in it and that's unusual for a plane crash, but he needs to be investigated and charged for his negligence that led to this crash landing being necessary.

Dude, you are making trolls look bad.

Roll in a jumbo jet? Are you that stupid?

You are talking about tons worth of metal being propelled through the air at high speed with tiny wings to support it. If he had tried any of those it would have taken on the aerodynamics of a lead trinket.

The Co-Pilot handled the take-off. He said he saw the flight of geese off to the right, and thought nothing of it, since operators often see birds, geese, and such during flights. Then, suddenly, they were hitting the windshield of the plane, and the engines died. The pilot took over from there.

And then the co-pilot should definitely be grounded, investigated and criminally charged for that error, along with the pilot for not supervising him properly.

you're a fucking idiot.

did you just say you wanted him to do a roll? While in takeoff at full thrust, with all that weight?

Dude, it's an airbus, not an F-16

The guy at that point is going 280 mph, ther eis nothing anyoen can do to avoid the geese...stop trying to troll..you fail

Well, the original post is pure stupid but it does ask a legitimate question. I would answer that what makes a hero is half circumstancial and half being the right person at the right time.

you're a fucking idiot.

Dude, you are making trolls look bad.

Roll in a jumbo jet? Are you that stupid?

You are talking about tons worth of metal being propelled through the air at high speed with tiny wings to support it. If he had tried any of those it would have taken on the aerodynamics of a lead trinket.
I'm just saying I don't buy into that argument that nothing could have been done and anyone who does is falling for the whole heroics bullshit behind it. It needs to be looked into. There is not a single accident that isn't based on human error.

Forum List

Back