Why is there 9.1% unemployment in spite of job offer of $750/week...

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
Unemployment benefit pays $300/week.

Picking apples: $750 a week..

where are the workers in spite of the Washington state 9.1% unemployment?

"Most of the pickers here are migrant workers. An estimated 66,000 are here illegally. That's about 72 percent of all farm hands statewide.

"In this last year, they deported more and arrested more because they don't have a license," said Alfonso Garcia, who has a green card and who has worked these orchards for 24 years. Garcia says increased border security and crackdowns on illegals have gutted the migrant workforce. They carry the load of this backbreaking work. Each picker hauls 8,000 pounds of apples in a nine-hour day.

Robison said, "it's a lot of work." That's a reason why, despite 9.1 percent unemployment in this state, Americans aren't lining up. "I'm paying $150 a day," Robison said. "Unemployed people who are on unemployment aren't willing to get off of that and come work."

The labor shortage has put the $1.4 billion Washington apple crop at risk.

Orchard growers offer jobs few choose to pick - CBS News

Unemployment benefit pays $300/week.

Picking apples: $750 a week..

where are the workers in spite of the Washington state 9.1% unemployment?

"Most of the pickers here are migrant workers. An estimated 66,000 are here illegally. That's about 72 percent of all farm hands statewide.

"In this last year, they deported more and arrested more because they don't have a license," said Alfonso Garcia, who has a green card and who has worked these orchards for 24 years. Garcia says increased border security and crackdowns on illegals have gutted the migrant workforce. They carry the load of this backbreaking work. Each picker hauls 8,000 pounds of apples in a nine-hour day.

Robison said, "it's a lot of work." That's a reason why, despite 9.1 percent unemployment in this state, Americans aren't lining up. "I'm paying $150 a day," Robison said. "Unemployed people who are on unemployment aren't willing to get off of that and come work."

The labor shortage has put the $1.4 billion Washington apple crop at risk.

Orchard growers offer jobs few choose to pick - CBS News

Actually Full Unemployment is about 780 every 2 weeks.

Not sure why anyone would turn down 750 a week to stay on Unemployment, Unless they have savings, or maybe some under the table work they are doing at this time.

you wrote: Not sure why anyone would turn down 750 a week to stay on Unemployment,..
simple... it is VERY HARD backbreaking work picking apples.. I KNOW cause I use to when I was younger do it and I'm not an illegal alien.
Was a summer job and we didn't get $150/day.. more like $10!

Let's face it. Strong, healthy, young people don't want to do manual labor. It's beneath them. And I'll also say that no one wants to move any more. When we were young, we lived in three different states. My dad moved to where the better paying jobs were.

Young people today need to stay close to mommy.

OH but they WILL go to a gym and work out!

Reminds me of when I was in highschool my mom told me a neighbor lady complained to her my Dad made me pull a sled with rocks that we used to smooth out our garden.
Best thing for me though and later years football teams pull the same sleds to build muscles ..difference?? I was doing something constructive WHILE building my leg muscles!

Forum List

Back