Why is the “space” between the sun and earth cold?

You are clo9ser to the truth than Old Rocks, but I will be nicer to you because you do not claim any expertise in science.

The temperature of space between the Earth and the Sun is warmer that the space between Mars and the Sun. The reason the Earth is warmer than the space surrounding it is because the Earth is denser, and has a layer that serves as a blanket to insulate it from the colder space. Additionally, the Earth is warmed internally, which has a small, but significant, effect on the temperature.

The very fact that heat moves through space at all proves it is not a vacuum, because a perfect vacuum would be perfect insulation.

Funny little fact.....the closer you get to a vacuum the lower the boiling temperature of water. Try pulling a vacuum on a half full jar of water and you can get it to boil at room temp. I believe this is why your blood boils when you enter space without a pressurized suit.

PudWhistler...you are an idiot. The "boiling" you are refering to is not HOT or any warmer than the ambient temperature within your partial vacume example.

At first, I thought they same thing, PudWhistle being an idiot, but then, if you think about it, it could be considered a matter of perspective. Divers who decompress too quickly develop bubbles of nitrogen in their blood stream. Boiling is releasing steam which, even though are "water vapor", they are still bubbles of gas. So from his perspective, bubbles of gas are a byproduct of boiling. It may not be a "scientific" explanation, that doesn't mean it's entirely wrong.

Heat or cold is a property of matter. If the atoms are within the matter are moving fast, it is hot. If moving very slow, the matter is cold. Space is a vacuum, nothing. A vacuum or nothing, cannot have the property of being either hot or cold.

Is that strictly true? What about dark matter which is what scientists believe makes up most of the matter in the universe?

LOL.

That's the 96% of all the stuff in the universe elephant that Newtonian physics didn't know about, isn't it?

The more I read about advanced physics and math theory the more impressed I am that the smartest people in the world understand that NOBODY KNOWS NUTTIN!

Funny little fact.....the closer you get to a vacuum the lower the boiling temperature of water. Try pulling a vacuum on a half full jar of water and you can get it to boil at room temp. I believe this is why your blood boils when you enter space without a pressurized suit.

PudWhistler...you are an idiot. The "boiling" you are refering to is not HOT or any warmer than the ambient temperature within your partial vacume example.

At first, I thought they same thing, PudWhistle being an idiot, but then, if you think about it, it could be considered a matter of perspective. Divers who decompress too quickly develop bubbles of nitrogen in their blood stream. Boiling is releasing steam which, even though are "water vapor", they are still bubbles of gas. So from his perspective, bubbles of gas are a byproduct of boiling. It may not be a "scientific" explanation, that doesn't mean it's entirely wrong.

It is totally possible and logical. Except I'm sure the halfwit equates "the boiling" with "heat" not preasure. I could be wrong because he is just as much half right as he is a half wit.

It is totally possible and logical. Except I'm sure the halfwit equates "the boiling" with "heat" not preasure. I could be wrong because he is just as much half right as he is a half wit.

Arguing semantics in a thread about physics? Must be a slow news day. :D

Arguing semantics in a thread about physics? Must be a slow news day. :D

Molasses.!!!....:lol: :lol: :lol:

Heat or cold is a property of matter. If the atoms are within the matter are moving fast, it is hot. If moving very slow, the matter is cold. Space is a vacuum, nothing. A vacuum or nothing, cannot have the property of being either hot or cold.

Is that strictly true? What about dark matter which is what scientists believe makes up most of the matter in the universe?

Even dark matter would/does have a temperature. The difference between it and the regular matter discussed in this thread is that dark matter doesn't carry any charge and doesn't interact electromagnetically (that's a bit of a tautological statement). But the point is that whatever dark matter particles are, their motion--and thus ultimately their temperature--and interactions aren't mediated by photons. That's the key difference between dark and "regular" matter.

But dark matter isn't particularly related to the properties of the vacuum. You're probably thinking of dark energy, which as an apparent observational fact is much newer than dark matter. And in some prominent conceptions of the nature of dark energy, it's thought to be an artifact of an energy density that's intrinsic to the vacuum. That energy associated with the vacuum isn't quite temperature in the way it's being thought about in this thread (i.e. kinetic energy of massive particles) but energy is a pretty mutable concept so you could take it that way.

Even dark matter would/does have a temperature. The difference between it and the regular matter discussed in this thread is that dark matter doesn't carry any charge and doesn't interact electromagnetically (that's a bit of a tautological statement). But the point is that whatever dark matter particles are, their motion--and thus ultimately their temperature--and interactions aren't mediated by photons. That's the key difference between dark and "regular" matter.

But dark matter isn't particularly related to the properties of the vacuum. You're probably thinking of dark energy, which as an apparent observational fact is much newer than dark matter. And in some prominent conceptions of the nature of dark energy, it's thought to be an artifact of an energy density that's intrinsic to the vacuum. That energy associated with the vacuum isn't quite temperature in the way it's being thought about in this thread (i.e. kinetic energy of massive particles) but energy is a pretty mutable concept so you could take it that way.

I wish I knew what that meant, sounds cool tho :cool:

uberfail. no way!

He's thinking about the sun's energy moving as heat, which requires mass. But the sun's energy moves as just that - electromagnetic energy. Which moves through a vacuum and isn't converted to heat until it encounters mass.

Think we've all confused the poor OP sufficiently yet?

The heat from the sun is not converted from electromagnetic energy. It is generated from photons hitting matter.

:confused:

Just what do you think a photon is?

I wish I knew what that meant, sounds cool tho :cool:

In a nutshell:

We have no idea how the universe is made, but we think dark matter and dark energy, which we have not found, explain everything, if we figure it.

Jeez
facepalm.jpg

The relative vacuum of space is referred to as the vacuum of space, it is of course full of everything including planets full of morons.
There are vast oceans of chemical seas floating in space also expansive voids of few dust particulates .

NASA's Cosmicopia -- Ask Us - Space Physics - Heat, Temperature, and the Electromagnetic Spectrum

Just because you are posting on the internet, does mean you an expert on everything.

What's really funny.

If you tell someone from the right that cold is the absence of heat, guess what they answer when you ask, "What is heat"? 99 times out of a hundred, they will say, "Heat is the absence of cold". Then look at their expression when you try to explain why it isn't. It's hilarious.

Forum List

Back