Why is the Senate Debating the Bailout

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
Article I, Section 7 states that all revenue bills shall originate in the House of Representatives but the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on any other bills. The reason for this is that at the time the Constitution was written, it was felt that Senators would be more wealthy than Representatives and might be willing to spend more government money than the Representatives would. Also, the House with its greater numbers was seen as being the better guage of the wishes of the people for spending measures.

Why is the Senate voting on the Bailout? will someone please tell me, isn't the house supposed to take up the measure again before the Senate can vote on it? Or am I misreading it?

Article I, Section 7 states that all revenue bills shall originate in the House of Representatives but the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on any other bills. The reason for this is that at the time the Constitution was written, it was felt that Senators would be more wealthy than Representatives and might be willing to spend more government money than the Representatives would. Also, the House with its greater numbers was seen as being the better guage of the wishes of the people for spending measures.

Why is the Senate voting on the Bailout? will someone please tell me, isn't the house supposed to take up the measure again before the Senate can vote on it? Or am I misreading it?

Oh I'm sure they can cite a loophole. They don't think anyone notices it anyway.

I'm slightly confused too. But still yet, even if the Senate passes it, it still has to go through the House to get to the White House.

Oh I'm sure they can cite a loophole. They don't think anyone notices it anyway.

You would think someone would be making a big time fuss over this. I was always under the impression that spending bills like this had to come from the House First. I guess they didn't like the results the other day.

Just erase some words like 'originate'. no biggie

If this new bill is comming from the Senate them it would have to be voted on by the House, then signed by the President. It just seems that the House needed to take this up again before the Senate got going with it.

If this new bill is comming from the Senate them it would have to be voted on by the House, then signed by the President. It just seems that the House needed to take this up again before the Senate got going with it.

It probably seems that way because that's exactly what the constitution SAYS. Revenue bills must originate in the House.

It probably seems that way because that's exactly what the constitution SAYS. Revenue bills must originate in the House.

I know, lol and then I see CSPAN and listen to the talking heads, all giddy about how the Senate will be passing a Bailout bill today and thats why the Market is not tanking. I wonder if they still hand out those little constitutions to anyone when they first get to Washington D.C.? or is that optional now? lol

I know, lol and then I see CSPAN and listen to the talking heads, all giddy about how the Senate will be passing a Bailout bill today and thats why the Market is not tanking. I wonder if they still hand out those little constitutions to anyone when they first get to Washington D.C.? or is that optional now? lol

This bill did originate in the House. The consitituion says nothing about it passing the House. The Senate can take up the same revenue bill with amendments(which they have) and push it along. Still has to go back throughtc the House, but there is your loophole in a nutshell.

This bill did originate in the House. The consitituion says nothing about it passing the House. The Senate can take up the same revenue bill with amendments(which they have) and push it along. Still has to go back throughtc the House, but there is your loophole in a nutshell.

Ahh so they are taking up the same bill that did not pass and adding amendments, I see. Thank you Crimson, I was wondering how they were doing this, to listen though you would think this was a completely new bill.

this is just soooo wrong!

and the senate bill is filled with garbage that has NOTHING to do with this CRISIS....just to get it to pass, i suppose....what a CROCK.....i don't even know how to use a bbgun let alone a gun, but these people need to be lined up and shot in the butt with pellets!

Gotcha ty-----so even though the house rejected it, the bill retains it's identity and was picked up and repackaged by the Senate.

Ahh so they are taking up the same bill that did not pass and adding amendments, I see. Thank you Crimson, I was wondering how they were doing this, to listen though you would think this was a completely new bill.

i heard it was a new bill???

It isn't, same shit, different day. It has a new name has been amended, but it isn't new legislation.

With each permutation, the bill has steadily grown in size. Treasury’s initial plan was about three pages long. The House version, which failed, stretched to 110. The Senate substitute now runs over 450 pages. And tucked away in the tax provisions is a landmark health care provision demanding that insurance companies provide coverage for mental health treatment—such as hospitalization—on parity with physical illnesses.

Senate bailout bill keeps growing - Yahoo! News

I just looked., and now I see how they are doing it, it's not the same bill. its a different one the house took up they are adding too. Pretty slick little trick.

I just looked., and now I see how they are doing it, it's not the same bill. its a different one the house took up they are adding too. Pretty slick little trick.

not slick enough to hide the fact that it's a piece of shit. I don't care how many people they got working on it and who they try to buy off with earmarks.

Kill Bill II

this is just soooo wrong!

and the senate bill is filled with garbage that has NOTHING to do with this CRISIS....just to get it to pass, i suppose....what a CROCK.....i don't even know how to use a bbgun let alone a gun, but these people need to be lined up and shot in the butt with pellets!
It's worse now, a combination of what Boner wanted (TAX CUTS, big surprise, for the corporations) and the bail out.

This bill is a bloated 450 page mess.!!

Not only are we giving them 700 billion, but tax cuts on top of that to the tune of 100 billion dollars and rural schools funding, amazing.

Forum List

Back