Why is the media so liberal?

really? in Iraq? hmmm I think I missed something! care to provide your source?

YouTube - Bush Jokes about WMD

YouTube - Bush admits that Iraq Had Nothing To Do With 9/11

It's funny, the right says the media show liberal bias and the left say the media show corporate bias :lol:

Funny no one else seemed to notice and it was right on the point of the thread.

Look how easily everyone gets sidetracked; no wonder we're in this mess. Can't see the right's dominance even as the left tries to squirm from its deathgrip. *sigh* I'm not for either extreme, but it's just about unbelievable...

Seriously, what's in it for them? Anyone have any ideas?

In the last election 192 newpapers endorsed George Bush and 225 endorsed John Kerry.

The media is not liberal. It is pretty evenly split.

Again, all the media cares about is getting money ... how do they get that money ... ratings ... what do people watch ... sensationalism. Facts get in the way of sensationalism, but at the same time there are not as many people who want to watch some stuffy cons blabbering about what they want to tell everyone else is right and wrong. The liberals are just more flamboyant than the cons so naturally in order for the media to stay in business they have to focus on the liberals. Has nothing to do with which side they are one.

I never understood how some people think MSM is liberal, there are a few liberal spokespeople but there are conservative spokespeople as well. Ask yourself when was the last time you saw a well done story on poverty in America? If media were really liberal in the true sense of tolerance and justice, you would see stories about the impact of corporate shenanigans on the average person who has lost their life saving, or the medical pyramid schemes that bilk the patient, or the deteriorating schools in the inner city without even books, or any number of other issues that demonstrate the sort of society America has become under social darwinist republican conservatism. You do not - MSM is really quite conservative and most of its spokespeople do not want to buck the corporate cow that feed them.

A vote for McCain/Palin is a vote to continue the same economic policies that are destroying the middle class in America.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j56i15Wdgok]YouTube - Mccain Caught Lying(exposed on youtube) Worst Nightmare[/ame]
Keating Economics

Why is the media so liberal?

Because freedom of speech is one of the most liberal principles as is the US Constitution as a whole.

I never understood how some people think MSM is liberal

Really? You honestly have no idea? Yikes. That's pretty scary, kid.

I'll help you educate yourself. Here's your first homework assignment. Look up Rather/Mapes. If you have any questions raise your hand and I'll give you assistance.

Seriously, what's in it for them? Anyone have any ideas?

Ratings. They are jumping on the "I Hate Republicans" band wagon like much of the nation. It is profitable for them to bash Bush and his cronies because no one likes them. No one is happy with the current system so they are just following the trend. I mean can you really blame them? Neo-conservatives are the ones that got us where we are today, so why continue to support them? It is time to move on and I think they realize that.

Are you kidding?

The job of the media is to hold people accountable. The only thing that makes democracy possible is the right to free speech. In other words, the ability for people to say whatever they want about the government is very unique, if you consider the history of the world, where, in the majority of civiliazations, if you said anything bad about a governement, you were simply silenced, by whatever means necessary, including murder. The media is a flow of information to the masses that, in affect, holds the actions of our government accountable, because, we are no longer in control of them once they are elected. They could, if we were ignorant to it, commit terrible acts of greed, overseas wars, and fraud that, without the media, would simply go unnoticed. The media has to balance out the position of the government along the political spectrum. The farther right the administration is, the farther left the media must go to balance it out. I think that although the media might never go to the right (except for Fox), if the administration was positioned far to the left overall, you would see the media move more towards the center, or even to the right. Considering how unbelievably intolerant of partisanship this administration has been for the last 8 years, it is only fair and quite necessary that the media challenge those ideas for the intellectual health of our country, to retain the flow of free ideas. Republicans already have a platform: the White House. That's a pretty powerful platform. In closing, I'll say that the stifling of ideas is the most dangerous thing to a democracy. If the media was positioned to the right, effectively in line with the current political climate in the White House, it would be progoanda, nothing less.

Last edited:
Are you kidding?

The job of the media is to hold people accountable. The only thing that makes democracy possible is the right to free speech. In other words, the ability for people to say whatever they want about the government is very unique, if you consider the history of the world, where, in the majority of civiliazations, if you said anything bad about a governement, you were simply silenced, by whatever means necessary, including murder. The media is a flow of information to the masses that, in affect, holds the actions of our government accountable, because, we are no longer in control of them once they are elected. They could, if we were ignorant to it, commit terrible acts of greed, overseas wars, and fraud that, without the media, would simply go unnoticed. The media has to balance out the position of the government along the political spectrum. The farther right the administration is, the farther left the media must go to balance it out. I think that although the media might never go to the right (except for Fox), if the administration was positioned far to the left overall, you would see the media move more towards the center, or even to the right. Considering how unbelievably intolerant of partisanship this administration has been for the last 8 years, it is only fair and quite necessary that the media challenge those ideas for the intellectual health of our country, to retain the flow of free ideas. Republicans already have a platform: the White House. That's a pretty powerful platform. In closing, I'll say that the stifling of ideas is the most dangerous thing to a democracy. If the media was positioned to the right, effectively in line with the current political climate in the White House, it would be progoanda, nothing less.

Naive ... just naive. The job of the news was at one time to show facts ... now they are paid ONLY if they get ratings. Catch up.

Funny I always thought it was the job of the courts to hold people accountable for their actions. Interesting, that people now think it's the media's job to hold people accountable. There was a time when it was the media's job to report the news. There was a time when the news was seperated from the editorial part. You do realize that an editorial is an opinion, the problem with the media today is that they think that when they editorialize they are reporting the news. New's media is both liberal and conservative, if you were to go to the radio medium you would no doubt see that in talk radio the "talking heads" there are for the most part conservative. Newspapers, it depends on the paper, There is no doubt the major papers, NYT, Washington Post, LA Times are all for the most part left leaning. Although, I would say that when you go to smaller towns you can find conservative papers too. Take The Arizona Republic, they are endorsing BOTH candidates for president. The News networks, you have CNN, ABC,CBS, and that joke of a network NBC which are all for the most part left leaning. Then you have FOX which is right leaning. The bottom line is this, when you have a newsman report on a presidential race and say things like " I get a tingle that runs down my leg every time I see him" or another one that says "he doesn't deserve to be president he is not better than a terrorist" it tells you that the media has lost it's way and ALL of them have become nothing more than propaganda outlets for the respective agendas they are pushing. It is up to YOU now to filter through their crap.

Naive ... just naive. The job of the news was at one time to show facts ... now they are paid ONLY if they get ratings. Catch up.

What I desctribed is an idealistic vision of the media, which was my intent in answering the original question to this thread.

Funny I always thought it was the job of the courts to hold people accountable for their actions. Interesting, that people now think it's the media's job to hold people accountable. There was a time when it was the media's job to report the news. There was a time when the news was seperated from the editorial part. You do realize that an editorial is an opinion, the problem with the media today is that they think that when they editorialize they are reporting the news. New's media is both liberal and conservative, if you were to go to the radio medium you would no doubt see that in talk radio the "talking heads" there are for the most part conservative. Newspapers, it depends on the paper, There is no doubt the major papers, NYT, Washington Post, LA Times are all for the most part left leaning. Although, I would say that when you go to smaller towns you can find conservative papers too. Take The Arizona Republic, they are endorsing BOTH candidates for president. The News networks, you have CNN, ABC,CBS, and that joke of a network NBC which are all for the most part left leaning. Then you have FOX which is right leaning. The bottom line is this, when you have a newsman report on a presidential race and say things like " I get a tingle that runs down my leg every time I see him" or another one that says "he doesn't deserve to be president he is not better than a terrorist" it tells you that the media has lost it's way and ALL of them have become nothing more than propaganda outlets for the respective agendas they are pushing. It is up to YOU now to filter through their crap.

Sure, the courts hold people accountable for actions, but as far back as civilization goes, public scrutiny, and the knowledge that deplorable actions will be known, keeps people in check as well. I'm just saying that without a press, democracy really couldn't exist, so it would seem natural that press would be liberal... constantly challenging, questioning, cynical. I think it is healthy. I also agree that they sometimes take it to far. I think the editorial aspect has gone very far, and is somewhat deplorable with pundits like O'Reilly and Hannity, and even Oberman, or Maddow. I am for Obama, yet I can't always watch MSNBC because it is SO obviously liberal and takes no effort to even try and be objective. Likewise, Fox is so obviously slanted towards the conservatives, yet I use it to see what 'the other side' is saying. I don't understand why this is so, except that, as you said, it is for ratings, which in this state of capitalism, is a natural eventual byproduct, as networks are trying to differentiate themselves to make a buck.

Forum List

Back