Why Is The GOP Against Reauthorizing The VAWA?

READ THE FUCKING LINK I PROVIDED YOU!!!!!

For the love of God.........

I read your fucking link, moron. It clearly states that Republicans don't want to give undocumented domestic abuse victims the same protections we give to victims and witnesses of other crimes, i.e. temporary visa status.

Then link the part that says that, hack....go ahead link the part that states what you claim

he can't, because it doesn't say that. He's lying.

Wouldn't violence against women be a local problem better handled at the local and state level? I know it's a strange concept for those who need the federal gubmint to wipe their asses for them, but you really should try it.

Many small communities don't have the resources for shelters for battered women or training of police and parole officers on how best to deal with it.

This is a Federal issue, then?

You commies just don't get it.

LOL

According to this article, domestic violence is down 53% since the initial passage of the law. It also states that it's law enforcement that requested the number of visas be increased from 10,000 to 15,000 to encourage reporting and fighting sexual assaults and domestic abuse crime. Yeah, this sounds real communist to me.

I read your fucking link, moron. It clearly states that Republicans don't want to give undocumented domestic abuse victims the same protections we give to victims and witnesses of other crimes, i.e. temporary visa status.

Then link the part that says that, hack....go ahead link the part that states what you claim

he can't, because it doesn't say that. He's lying.

It's been linked, shit for brains. Be sure to read the part where it's law enforcement that asked for the number of visas to be increased. See above. Talk about scumbag liars. But I'm used to right wingers giving each other reach arounds when they feel uncomfortable defending their positions.

It's Grassly and the GOP that are dicking with it. In the case of most crimes, undocumented folks are granted visas to remain here as witnesses. The GOP wants to make exceptions to those victims of domestic crimes.

Why the fuck SHOULD WE?? The only thing this law will allow is unlimited visas to every female illegal alien, all they have to do is dial 911 and claim to be a victim.

Many small communities don't have the resources for shelters for battered women or training of police and parole officers on how best to deal with it.

LOL

According to this article, domestic violence is down 53% since the initial passage of the law. It also states that it's law enforcement that requested the number of visas be increased from 10,000 to 15,000 to encourage reporting and fighting sexual assaults and domestic abuse crime. Yeah, this sounds real communist to me.

Federal issue, or not, commie?

Okay, so I read the article that you linked to, and I read it twice. I didn't see anyting about domestic violence declining 53% since passage of the act. I saw that Alaska's rate of rape is 2.6 times the national average, probably because this article is from the Fairbanks, AK newspaper. I also read that Senator Grassley's opposition to the bill had more to do with AN AMENDMENT aimed at organizations that receive federal money not discriminating based on 'sexual orientation?' Now what the hell does that sort of amendment have to do with violence against women?

Really? I mean can you be more of a political hack? I didn't think so...

Talk about doing a one-and-a-half into an empty pool...

Last edited:

Why the fuck SHOULD WE?? The only thing this law will allow is unlimited visas to every female illegal alien, all they have to do is dial 911 and claim to be a victim.

Bullshit. The law, at the request of law enforcement, would increase the number of temporary visas from 10,000 to 15,000. This is to help prosecution of criminals. Are you really stupid enough to believe that people will bring false prosecution against their spouses for a temporary visa? You can't be that stupid. Stop making stuff up.

LOL

Granting temporary visas for assisting prosecution is certainly a federal issue, reactionary.

Bullshit. The law, at the request of law enforcement, would increase the number of temporary visas from 10,000 to 15,000. This is to help prosecution of criminals. Are you really stupid enough to believe that people will bring false prosecution against their spouses for a temporary visa? You can't be that stupid. Stop making stuff up.

you first.

Okay, so I read the article that you linked to, and I read it twice. I didn't see anyting about domestic violence declining 53% since passage of the act. I saw that Alaska's rate of rape is 2.6 times the national average, probably because this article is from the Fairbanks, AK newspaper. I also read that Senator Grassley's opposition to the bill had more to do with AN AMENDMENT aimed at organizations that receive federal money not discriminating based on 'sexual orientation?' Now what the hell does that sort of amendment have to do with violence against women?

Really? I mean can you be more of a political hack? I didn't think so...

Talk about doing a one-and-a-half into an empty pool...

I guess reading isn't your strong suit.

From the article:

The law encourages collaboration among law enforcement, health officials and community organizations. Among other things, it's paid for grants to provide law enforcement with extra staffing, training and technical assistance. Domestic violence has decreased by 53 percent since the law's inception, Murray said.

Virtually every federal contract and grant has nondiscrimination clauses in them, so Grassley is full of shit on that point.

VAWA has been a disaster to Americans and a huge boon to immigrants.

I've done dozens of divorces with an underline by VAWA. An American man marries a foreign woman. She alleges abuse. Nothing has to be proved, just alleged. Now she becomes self-petitioning and no longer needs an American spouse. Not only that, but under VAWA she is entitled to emotional and moral support for her entire family so she can bring them all over there (at her husband's expense) and become the petitioner for their immigration too. However it started out, it has become just one more big scam.

First off, there's no such thing as a 'temporary' visa with our current immigration courts. EVERYBODY gets extensions for DECADES. We've still got Hondurans from the 90's here on 'temporary' visas.

2nd, let's create a little hypothetical for you. Maria calls 911 and claims to be an abuse victim. Mind you, there's no requirement of PROOF of abuse, the claim is enough. Pedro gets arrested, the court case is filed and Maria gets her visa. Maria also gets financial assistance in this program, and promptly bails out Pedro. Pedro goes down to the local mercado and spends $50 for a NEW ID, and becomes Juan.

No defendant, no prosecution and Maria is in like Flynn.

Granting temporary visas for assisting prosecution is certainly a federal issue, reactionary.

Okay, so are you going to move prosecution of a domestic assault from the local DA to what? The US Attorney's office? Have you checked their freakin BACKLOG recently? And which crimes do we tell the US Attorney's office to stop prosecuting so they can now prosecute domestic violence? Or, I'm sure this is the preferred liberal answer, do we just increase the size of the US Attorney's office exponetially so that they can handle this.

I mean, you're absolutely right, temporary visa's ARE a federal issue. The US Attorney will have to get involved. And is domestic assault now a felony at all levels? And what about prison time, if the US Attorney gets involved, they are going to want someone to go to prison. Where do we put these people? You better be volunteering your bathroom as lockup because remember, Blago just went to prison after being convicted last year. There's a backlog there as well.

Hey, I have a really radical idea here... why don't, instead of just doing this liberal KNEE-JERK thing where everything a Republican does is so very bad, why not try thinking about it...

I've done dozens of divorces with an underline by VAWA. An American man marries a foreign woman. She alleges abuse. Nothing has to be proved, just alleged. Now she becomes self-petitioning and no longer needs an American spouse. Not only that, but under VAWA she is entitled to emotional and moral support for her entire family so she can bring them all over there (at her husband's expense) and become the petitioner for their immigration too. However it started out, it has become just one more big scam.

VAWA act has what exactly to do against these kinds of divorces, which are essentially civil matters, and that type of gaming the system went on long before 1995.

Many small communities don't have the resources for shelters for battered women or training of police and parole officers on how best to deal with it. Certainly congress believed it important enough to pass and reauthorize in 1994, 2000, and 2005.

Attempting to change your argument, Marxist worm?

Okay, so are you going to move prosecution of a domestic assault from the local DA to what? The US Attorney's office? Have you checked their freakin BACKLOG recently? And which crimes do we tell the US Attorney's office to stop prosecuting so they can now prosecute domestic violence? Or, I'm sure this is the preferred liberal answer, do we just increase the size of the US Attorney's office exponetially so that they can handle this.

I mean, you're absolutely right, temporary visa's ARE a federal issue. The US Attorney will have to get involved. And is domestic assault now a felony at all levels? And what about prison time, if the US Attorney gets involved, they are going to want someone to go to prison. Where do we put these people? You better be volunteering your bathroom as lockup because remember, Blago just went to prison after being convicted last year. There's a backlog there as well.

Hey, I have a really radical idea here... why don't, instead of just doing this liberal KNEE-JERK thing where everything a Republican does is so very bad, why not try thinking about it...

This law has been on the books since 1995, and doesn't move any prosecutions to the federal bench. What it does is enable local prosecutors a tool to get the feds to issue a temporary visa so domestic abusers and sexual abusers can be prosecuted. Talk about being a kneejerk. Why don't your read the damn bill before you create these bogus strawmen?

Well, that is a good start.

You might google up a few articles to demonstrate your assertion that there is widespread opposition (there is) which also, interestingly enough, explains the various apples of discord the Democrats have tossed into the bill. Such as giving Indian tribes the right to prosecute non tribal members, granting rights under the act to illegals, and giving protections to Lesbians from acts by their partners.

Usually, when you start a thread like this, you should include enough basic information so that people know what you are going on about, plus a couple quotes from the people involved as to their reasoning.

I found pages of stuff where the issues were discussed. You could have included at least one republican quote from at least one of them.

Rhetorical questions about weird acronyms don't help move the debate forward. In order for there to be a useful discussion, you need facts and clear statements.

The next time you pull a stunt like this, a rhetorical question about an obscure issue with no facts anywhere, it goes to the rubber room.

So in order for me to start a thread, I have to educate people who don't know about it? I did my research before I started it. Perhaps you ought to do yours before you opine.

in order to start a thread, you need to post links proving any assertions made. You made assertions, and failed to provide links supporting your claim.

it isn't rocket science. If you SAY something, link to something that SUPPORTS it. It's not our job to research YOUR comments to see if they are true or not. It's YOUR job to offer proof of your statements.

No statements without links proving the point?

We won't have but 3 or 4 posters here then.
Especially the ones who post insulting anal fixation posts.

sorry no link to prove this point :D

Many small communities don't have the resources for shelters for battered women or training of police and parole officers on how best to deal with it. Certainly congress believed it important enough to pass and reauthorize in 1994, 2000, and 2005.

Attempting to change your argument, Marxist worm?

No, adding to my argument, brownshirt reactionary.

Here's what Republican Senator Murkowski said:

“The Rural Justice Commission has been a critical component to provide public safety in rural Alaska,” said Murkowski. “It’s an example of an effective state and federal partnership that protects village residents. If we are to address this challenging issue for our state, we need to get the Rural Justice Commission back up and running.”

At Senator Murkowski’s request the bill also specifically:

· Includes Village Public Safety Officers (VPSOs) in the definition of law enforcement officers that can be funded via federal grants.

· Allows grant funds to be used to help Community Health Aides in rural Alaska respond to the needs of sexual assault and domestic violence victims.

· Directs Attorney General Eric Holder to consult with Alaska and report back to Congress whether federal appropriations to the commission should continue.

Last edited:

VAWA act has what exactly to do against these kinds of divorces, which are essentially civil matters, and that type of gaming the system went on long before 1995.

Women could not become self-petitioning nor could they be a sponsor for a relative. That's the change. At one time, lose an American spouse and it's a quick trip to deportation. We still deport widows if they lose a huband before the process is complete. Now they can bring their entire family here. They don't need an American spouse or an American friend. Just an allegation that they are the victim of abuse. Since these women are "poor" the cost of bringing the family here is borne by the working American spouse.

For Americans who are suckered in, it has been a complete disaster, total.

Forum List

Back